READ THIS—The future of biohack.me—UPDATED 10/Oct
EDITED with notes from meeting
Biohack.me is nearly four years old and its software stack has aged. Vanilla, the platform powering biohack.me's forum, is riddled with bugs and kinks. I am looking at the more modern Discourse to replace it, with as little disruption as possible to you, the community.
- biohack.me will direct to a landing page with prominent links to the various parts of the site. We hope this will encourage users to visit and contribute to the wiki and forthcoming linkdump. Users can still get to various arms through forum.biohack.me, wiki.biohack.me, etc.
- We are comparing VPS hosts to migrate to. They must accept bitcoin.
- Bitcoin will be used to donate to the site's higher operating costs, once migration is complete.
- @Jack is exploring a method to display the available bitcoin donations made to the site for the month due.
- A Local section of the site will be made using a separate instance of our wiki software, Oddmuse, where users can post events and updates from the various grindspaces in the physical world.
- Images can posted inline on the wiki. Details for linking can be found here. But essentially it's [[image/class external:http://i.imgur.com/XabwhYA.png]]
- Moving biohack.me behind TOR was discussed with a clearnet proxy for accessing from non-TOR browsers. We'll continue to investigate but for the conceivable future biohack.me will remain clearnet-only.
- A part of the site where users can post links was discussed, similar to what grinders use Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ now. @BirdMachine is in charge of drafting up a solution.
- A link to the IRC will be put up in the header bar as soon as tomorrow.
- The subdomains to the wiki and forum will be changed to wiki.biohack.me and forum.biohack.me respectively.
I am committing us to December 21st to mainline solutions.
This discussion has been closed.