Replication defective herpes simplex vector

I need input from our gene mod people here.  The replication defective herpes simplex vector appears to be a localized gene mod delivery system.  Am I correct in this interpretation?  This means that only injected areas would be affected, right?  If I am wrong, then the rest of this is not worth reading, but if I am right:
  • It would allow me to test the tetra+chromacy mod on one eye.  (Not interested if it causes ocular herpes outbreaks)
  • It would allow for multiple gene doping combinations.  If I remember correctly, there were genes that enhanced slow twitch fibers, some that enhanced fast twitch fibers, etc.  This vector should allow the possibility of having bulky muscles in some areas, quick muscles in other areas, and enduring muscles in other areas, right?  Example: Beefy facial muscles, enduring calves, slow twitch quads, etc.
  • Possibly allow for amazing tattoo work using melanin regulating genes.  This would cause dark skin to grow in some areas and lighter skin in other areas.  It could be used to make some really cool designs.
  • Targeted bone density/lengthening gene modding?
I have a limited understanding of any of this shit, and I know I have many misconceptions about genetics.  It would be cool if any of this was possible.  Feasibility?

Comments

• You can engineer any viral vector to be tissue specific.
  • When you say "tissue specific", do you mean specific to tissues in the injected area, or are we talking about a type of tissue (like muscle tissues, skin tissues, etc.)?
  • @DirectorX:  This may be a little picky, but technically there's no real such thing as "skin tissue."  Skin is simply made from a type of epithelial tissue (I think I spelled that correctly).  The other three types of animal tissue are connective, muscle, and nervous tissue.

As for being "tissue specific," I think what @Lukas means is specific to the type of tissue, because certain types of cells have different receptors, and viruses are usually set to attach to a specific type of receptor.  So, by  using different receptors, we could only modify the specific type of cell with that receptor.  As for localizing the mod to a specific area, I have no idea.  If that were possible, it would be awesome.

Also, I have never heard of "ocular herpes" o.O

~Ian
  • @Ian: you are right, epithelial tissue is what I was thinking of.  Google images turns up some aweful photos of ocular herpes.  Not something I'd want.