Best Hall sensor to use?

edited February 2015 in Magnets
Is anyone using Hall effect sensors with their magnet implants?

I tried a simple A3144 with an LM393 (couple of bucks on ebay), but I'm not getting any reading (even straight on south pole), unless I press the Hall sensor against my finger. I think because the A3144 isn't sensitive enough.

Is anyone using a Hall sensor? If yes, what sensor/circuit?

Tagged:

Comments

• you may want to look into modern magnetometers IC's. They tend to be a lot more sensitive than the average hall sensor.
  • Thanks ThomasEgi, that was what I was looking for.

When you looked at it, did you manage to get the HMC5883 to work? It's mentioned in a thread, but then there was no follow up and I'm not even sure you want to use it with magnet implants.
  • I have a couple of older honeywell magnetometers chips working. They all require an microcontroller to read out the signal as it's all done via i2c bus. Other than that, they do a really good job. Mine are 2axis, but most are 3axis these days, and sensitive enough to even detect earth magnetic field. They give pretty precise readings. If you can afford the extra circuitry , they'll give you the best possible sensitivity.
  • Would LOVE to use a Hall sensor in some way at home with my magnet but this area leaves me mostly baffled. If either of you two comes up with an idiot-proof system, I'm in.
  • http://www.loveelectronics.co.uk/Tutorials/8/hmc5883l-tutorial-and-arduino-library

it's not going to get a lot easier than that. Unless you have a raspberryPI and know how to do i2c with python from there.
  • Thanks ThomasEgi. Will check it out.
  • edited February 2014
    Final update, I received a couple of HMC5883s ($10 on ebay).

It required minor soldering (beginner really) and literally within 30 minutes after unpacking I had the whole thing working and spitting out useful code using a modified version of the code that's on this (tutorial) page: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/301

kjwx: if you don't want to make a micro controller do too much crazy stuff, this would make a wonderful starter project. Get yourself an Arduino and a magnetometer and see if you can light up an LED with your implant, shouldn't be too hard to do.