Why magnets?

edited April 2016 in Magnets
I saw a lot of Discussions about implanting magnets, but I still don't having a idea of why do that, the benefits and detriments. Could somebody explain me, or share stories and experiencies with it?
Tagged:

Comments

• To pick things up for party tricks or to feel electromagnetic fields, aside from that what ever is left does it for the hell of it....
  • There are also a few wearables that have been made. Some larger implants have a magnetic switch that can be turned on and off with a magnet also.
  • I know, but those implants are just for fun or they improve the health in some way?
  • Personally, my reasoning is for the 'magnetic vision' it gives the one who possesses it. It's a new sense, like sight or taste or smell.
  • Uhm, interesting
  • If you go through some of the magnet posts, you'll see people discussing how they are used to sense electromagnetic frequencies. Other people have mentioned that they use them for hardware repair (getting those tiny screws) and I think one person mentioned they could use theirs to feel high load electrical cables.

It's a body mod with functionality, not aesthetics.
  • It seems to be very cool, but wouldn't that bring some problems? Like "cleaning" storage devices like pen-drives, concentration or deficit of some minerals on blood veins near to the magnet implant?
  • As far as I am aware there is not an implant that is used (in the community) that improves health...yet. there is a temp sensor that cyberise.me sells.
  • Electromagnetic fields generated by an implanted magnet shouldn't be strong enough to damage most modern Electronics. my cell phone has a much larger magnet in it to drive it's speaker than an implanted one would have. So do modern HDD's.

A floppy disk might be at risk, or rewritable hotel key card. But not a credit card or a usb drive. ^^
  • At this forum, do you often discuss about bioethic or something like it?
  • It comes up sometimes. You'll also notice that a few of us have done interviews, documentaries, internet whatnots... where we talk about those types of things.

When you're talking about self experimentation, there is very little ethical discussion to be had, imho. I mean, it's my body right? Where's the ethical conundrum in that? I'm not anyone's mom, other peoples choices aren't my responsibility. 

Look around, and if you find that there is something that hasn't been talked to death, I'm sure everyone will jump on the conversation. Just remember to start a new thread.