Microchip Essay Help?

edited August 2015 in RFID/NFC
Hi there,

I am writing an essay about human microchipping and am trying to find some good sources of information to cite/ find information in. Do any of you know of any good sources of research on rfid implants?

Also, what would you list as pros and cons of getting chips, do you know of any credible dangers?

Thanks so much!
Tagged:

Comments

• If the chip is already biocompatible infection would be the greatest danger
  • I'll toss my two cents in.

Credible dangers include the already-mentioned risk of infection and, as we begin to branch out into areas of the body that haven't been as well established for chips, risk of nerve damage. In a wider scale and medically performed setting, risk of nerve damage would be minimized as doctors established protocols for safe implantation, but here in the grinder scene, very few of us are doctors. We study up as best we can, the quality of which will vary from person to person, on anatomy, and ultimately decide whether or not to take the risk. I had numerous concerns about nerve damage when doing both my forearm chip and my axillary chip, but I felt that I understood the anatomy enough to take the risk for each.  I've had no negative effects from either, but there was certainly risk in doing it, especially considering individual anatomical variation.

There are a number of pros to getting chips.  Digital ID for things like door locks, vehicle ignitions, digital data storage (capacity is still very small right now, but will grow with time), and with chips containing thermistors (like the Destron Fearing LifeChips), you get access to an in-body thermometer (assuming you've placed the chip in a good location).  If such thermometers were widespread, it would make taking someone's temperature extremely simple and quick.  It is quick and simple now, but requires a dedicated piece of hardware to read the value.  If the chips were in widespread use, the hardware to read them would become ubiquitous, too.

Cons include the dangers already listed, but that's about it.  I suppose there's the fact that the chips will sometimes fail in-body and need to be replaced, which will again require this minor pseudo-surgery.