Trybal's NFC Implant

edited April 2015 in Procedures
First off, I don't have my implant yet. I just thought I would use this thread to update on as I do go about getting it.

So I have actually been wanting to get a microchip since I was 9 years old and saw an article about them in a National Geographic Magazine.

I finally purchased my first microchip (ntag216 from cyberise.me) and am looking forward to having it implanted when I receive it. I was a little worried that I would be unable to find someone who would be willing to implant it for me but actually had a much easier go of it than I had expected. I went to my local tattoo shop and spoke with a piercer there. As it would so happen, this particular piercer has actually done several magnet implants using Steve Haworth's magnets. Upon hearing about my microchip, he said that he would love to do it, but that as it could be considered malpractice, would have to do it without any kind of consent form or documentation. I told him about the magnets that I had purchased to implant, (two M31's), and he was very interested and wanted me to show them to him.

So all in all, I am extremely excited. The purpose of this tag will just be to hold my contact info and it will be placed between my shoulder blades about an inch off of center. I hope to receive the tag in a week or so and have it implanted shortly thereafter.
Tagged:

Comments

• So my chip hasn't arrived yet, but I just thought I would mention a few things.

In thinking about the placement of my chip, I started to wonder if the skin between my shoulder blades would be too thick for me to be able to read and write to the chip after implanting. I did some research and found that the average thickness of skin on the back is 4mm, (3-5mm).

I have a few ntag216 stickers and decided to run some tests on them to see if I should have any issues. I found that I was able to easily read and write to the tag through 4 slices of bologna, (~12mm). 

This helps ease some of my fears, though I will still do some tests once I get the actual chip to see how it's range compares to that of my stickers.
  • I don't think 4mm of skin will be enough to make a read impossible, but it isn't going ot make it any easier, either. Also, bear in mind that it will be somewhat reliant on the reader as well. I have an xNT in my right hand deep enough as to be invisible, and my experience has been that an HTC One M7 needs to be really mashed up against my hand to read it but a Lumia 1020 can read without even making contact.
  • That is good to know. I actually received my chip tonight. I soon realized though that I am unable to write to the it while it is inside of the metal hypodermic needle...

I guess I will just go ahead with it and see how it all works out in the end. The chances of complications are pretty slim, I'm willing to just go "balls to the wall". Worst case, I have it removed. 

I'll probably run over to my piercer tomorrow and let him see everything. We will schedule a time to do it after that.
  • I had my chip implanted last night.

It went really, really well. My piercer sterilized the skin, and made a few markings so I could decide where I wanted the chip placed. After we had agreed on a location, (between my shoulder blades about one inch left of my spine), he had me lie down and instructed me to take a deep breath as he inserted the needle. 

It was odd. I was expecting pain, but there was none as the needle punctured my tented skin. As he pushed it in further, I could feel the sensation of something there, but not as any form of pain. He depressed the plunger on the injector, and I could feel the chip being deposited into the newly formed canal. It was an uncanny feeling, but not painful... Perhaps uncanny only in the fact that it really didn't hurt at all?

Once he had deposited the chip, he applied pressure to the area where the chip was as he withdrew the needle. He warned me that it might sting as it exited my skin, but I actually had to ask, "Wait, it's out?". I never felt it.

There wasn't really any bleeding, but he applied some sterile gauze and a bandage. When I removed the bandage and gauze about four hours later I found that there was a small amount of dried blood, but nothing much.

The whole procedure took about 5 minutes, 4.5 for sterilization and about 0.5 for the actual implant. I have been able to read and write to the chip and have no pain in the area. Its nice to finally have this done after 10 years of waiting...

Next, one in my hand. ^^
  • One last note, 

My piercer was actually thrilled to be able to do my implant. He said, "It's eyebrow, navel, eyebrow, navel, eyebrow, navel all day long. It's so nice to do something new."

As for the cost, he only charged me $10. I couldn't be happier.
  • Congrats! And ten bucks is a steal, nicely done. My local guy charges $40 and I still consider that a good price.
  • Day 2 Update: 

Implant site is doing well. Entry point has developed a scab over it and the chip has not moved from its position about 1" from the entry point. Slightly difficult to read and write through clothing, but pretty easy without anything between the reader, (my OnePlus One), and the skin.

As far as pain, I have none except for a dull pain somewhat akin to a deep bruise when the actual chip is touched. I could not be happier with it.

I went to my piercer today to have him scan my microchip. I had written a special message on it for him. I had programmed a simple text record on the chip, "Thanks so much!). He absolutely loved it. 

He told me that he was talking to his wife and is thinking about getting one. He said, "first I thought you were crazy, then I thought it was cool, and now I want one of my own." Ended up giving him my contact info so we can keep in touch.

So, its all going very well so far, it is a lot of fun to read and write in public. Already today about 5 people have seen me reaching over my shoulder with my phone. They give me confused looks. I just tell them that I am programming my microchip and they give me even stranger looks. Then they want to know all about it.