(Quantitative)? m31 Analysis?

edited April 2015 in Magnets
I just got my m31 implant yesterday, so I will not be trying this for a few months, but I was wondering if anyone has done an experiment to see what the sensitivity threshold for the m31 is in terms of magnetic flux (the change in magnetic field for a given duration and area, measured in Teslas) once it's been implanted. It would basically require a wire, a power source, and some calculus. I think it would be cool, for example to be able to say on the magnet "when properly implanted and healed, you'll be capable of sending magnetic fields of strength X Teslas, which is equivalent to (some real-life situation).

Obviously I realize it would differ from person to person greatly based on implant site, that person's nervous system, training, healing, etc but it would be nice to have SOME number.
Tagged:

Comments

• I'm not sure what data you want; the field of the implanted magnet or the min. field strength of a external field you're able to feel. I guess the first one and I think this is a good idea. You won't even need a wire, a power source and some calculus; just use your smartphone and some app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.metal / https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icechen1.metalsniffer - I guess it will be more accurate then some self-builded construction. You shouldn't use any casing and get as close to the sensor of your phone as possible.

I neither have a smartphone nor are my implants healed (they're one week old now) but a friend of mine didn't believe me when I told him about the implants, so he installed some tool like the ones above on his phone and we tested it. I don't remember the numbers but one time I was able to get it into the red area (there was green, yellow and red. Normally it was green, when I got my fingers nearby it turned yellow).

Long story short: If you read this, have a healed m31 implant, a smartphone and some sparetime please give us some numbers. :)

Off-topic: I also try to avoid magnetic fields but sometimes it's impossible. For example in my city are two types of trains driving in the subway. The newer model is good, I have to stand at the right spot to feel the motor. The old model on the other side, well, you feel the train while standing meters beside it. When you're in there's no way to avoid the fields, even the door electronics produce strong ones... So strong that the implants hurt after a few stations...
  • You can go to the k&j magnetics site and use their calculator. You could also just ask @Amal. He tested the magnets for the numbers you are looking for.

You make it sound like we didn't do our research ;)
  • @bciuser is asking about sensitivity thresholds.  How much magnetic flux is needed before the implantee can feel it?  At least that's how I'm reading the question.

I think that it will vary wildly from person to person, though, dependent on implant depth, individual nerve density, etc.  No value that could be arrived at would be even a good guideline to what any other random person gets out of the implant.  Heck, the four I have each have different sensitivities, and that's just in one person!
  • edited April 2015
    <rant>
    fuck, ok first, i hate the way this fucking site works, or rather doesn't work. i never get emails for shit i subscribe to, and every time i come to a thread like this and want to comment, the login process dumps me out of the thread to the main topic list and the goddamn back function doesn't work, so i have to go find the thread again. i. hate. this. shit. - but mostly I hate it because i know we likely can't move all this valuable history to something better.
    </rant>

now, with that out of the way, @bciuser - the gauss rating of the m31 at the surface has been measured on sample units from between 2800 to 3000 gauss, or 0.28T to 0.3T (t=tesla), with most coming in at the 3000 mark. i consider the lower values to be human error (me) because it's very hard to steadily hold the probe exactly in the correct spot. Speaking of probes, we used both axial and transverse measurements.

By comparison, I tested a haworth magnet coated in silicone and at the surface of the silicone I measured 1700 gauss or 0.17T. However, once I removed the silicone, the magnet surface gauss was 3100 gauss, so slightly more than the m31... but... the magnet was also larger. In silicone the haworth magnet is 4.1mm x 2.8mm, while the core magnet inside is 3.2mm x 1.65mm. Compared to the m31's sleek 3mm x 1mm design, that extra 100 gauss is clearly not worth the extra size or added bulk of the silicone coating.
  • also, sorry for the rant, but it's been years in the making... or at least it feels that way.
  • Sorry to ask, but do you have similar numbers for the m36 or a Haworth in TiN?
  • The m36 is still in pre release (but we will have those numbers), and the Haworth doesn't come in TiN (no asking for data on imaginary things)
  • I realize the Haworth doesn't come with TiN, but it is a little bigger than an M31, so I was wondering if you'd ever taken his crap off and tried TiN for a little more oomph. Guess not.
  • edited April 2015
    Didn't @Cassox test a larger-than-m31 disc coated in TiN?

(Don't want to derail the thread here, but speaking of the m36, any expected ship date yet?  I've got two of them paid for, complete with tracking number, but no idea when they'll actually ship.)
  • You can't apply TiN without demagnetizing your magnet. So then it get's into a question of how much do we really want to dick around with other peoples stuff, and if we did, what would that information actually be used for.