grindfest flashmob for dazzle *does jazz hands*

124»

Comments

• Make sure you dress warm everyone. Tshirt weather stopped abruptly and it decided to snow...
  • I should also mention that I'm right in the middle of moving right now, so if I don't get back to you right away don't worry.  If it's reasonable, I'll find a way to pick you up.  Gas money is appreciated, but whatever works for you. 

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!
  • in case anyone has a space heater that can fit in their car if they are driving, we might want those.
  • Space heater? *Looks outside at the 100+ inches of snow* This is already going to be a tropical vacation for me!
  • Dag. I should have been paying closer attention to this. I hit LAX at 14:45 if someone needs a ride. Send a PM.
  • edited March 2015
    Hey all. So mistakes were made, and I wound up on the 930 instead of 710. Inbound now (and if anyone's on the SD/LAX/Bakersfield Amtrak you should say hello to the girl with pink hair in business class)

Edit: Made it to Bakersfield. Next 100 bus is at 520, so if anyone's
    passing by the amtrak here before then and has room in their vehicle for
    a me + 2 small bags, I can offer gas funds.
  • THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Despite Cass and I spending a ridiculous amount of time dealing with tv crews (So sorry guys, really), it seems like everyone had fun jamming.

I would consider this the alpha testing. I promise to never have a tv crew here again. If it was pretty good this time, I figure it can be better. It's not like we had any idea what we are doing.

A huge thank you to DangerousThings for providing m31s for magnet impantees that Cassox implanted, Torchlit Studios for supplying a pile of rfids that I ended up rapidly tagging into a slew of people, Cyberise.me for coming all the way across the world just to rock out, and everyone else who was there.

If you got a mag or a rfid, make sure to thank those peeps. Cassox used his available time to do implants for in exchange for shots and foodstuffs, so super props to him. 

Anyone who was here, we want to do this again, without the distractions. Please let me know what you liked, what you hated, what you want, what you really really want...

Also, anyone how took video (especially of me electrocuting a roomful of people with @DirectoX's hardware) pm me and let's collect that footage so we can share it with everyone.

Thank you again, It was a pleasure to meet you all in person.
  • Had an amazing time at the event! (This is Dan, on of the word-of-mouth guys who kind of stumbled into the gathering.)

Sam and I are having loads of fun tinkering with our new rfids (sending thank you email to Torchlit Studios shortly), and Sam is having a blast with his m31
    -He sends his highly enthusiastic thanks to Cassox and DangerousThings! 

Thank you everyone who organized the event, our gracious hosts, and everyone who participated in any way. it was amazing to meet you all!

See you at future events!
  • God I wish I could have gone to this. Can I get a basic rundown of all the cool stuff I missed? :(
  • That.
    Was.
    AMAZING.
    Thank you so much again for being fantastic hosts! I had an absolutely splendid time. More time in the lab would have been great, but I managed to carve out the spacetime I needed to tinker (and a big thank you to everyone's help!). It was amazing to hear what folks are working on, and talk shop with so many genuinely goddamn brilliant folks. Seriously. I'm both blown away and inspired by the work I heard you all are involved in. Looking forward to the next one! Sounds like more lab time will be a major improvement, and now that we all know the area a bit, travel should be a little easier too. 

This was also just the kind of life event to inspire me to maybe scale the circus back a little bit to make more room for scaling up my grinding efforts >:3

I also have photos and videos I'll be compiling over the next few days and uploading to my server so I can send them to folks easier. This includes an awesome first person video of an m31 implant thanks to @Cassox. Thanks again so, SO much! Not seeing any swelling and the area doesn't even seem to be bruised. No pain, but lots of gain :) I'd like to splice up some of the videos and put em up on my youtube channel, only with permission though. I can include/exclude names on request (defaulting to exclude) and I didn't catch any faces in the implant video, for those with privacy concerns. 

Fantastic food, fantastic work, and goddamn fantastic company. Thanks again!
  • edited March 2015
    I agree that Grindfest Zero was a success! It was wonderful to finally meet so many of you in person, including Cassox, Glims, Amal, TimmyCNinja, BirdMachine, DirectorX and everyone else I forgot to mention. This was by far the biggest gathering of grinders, ever. 

I think this kind of event really helps to motivate people and builds the community. 

There were things that could be improved, but it was pretty good considering it was basically just a bunch of people from the internet meeting up for the first time.

I hope we can make this an annual event, or at least periodically reoccurring.

I promise to have some new implants finished before the next meetup.
  • From a complete newbies perspective, that was massively fulfilling. I know TimmyCNinja had mentioned being worried about having been too wrapped up with the filming and what-not, but what time there was to mingle was phenomenally motivating, and has inspired me to get involved with the community instead of simply lurking in the shadows around here.

:)

Also, a big thanks to @Glims and @Cassox, you guys are amazingly gracious hosts. Next time, the nootropics and booze are on me, even if Glims alcohol tolerance bankrupts me. 

Seriously. That man is a friggin' tank.
  • Yes, this was lots of fun, although I agree about no tv people next time. I didn't get to say goodbyes to some of you, sorry. I definitely want pics and vids. I took none.
  • Grindfest was a delight and thanks to @Glims and @Cassox for being the hosts that they were. Definitely something that I would be interested in attending again.

By the end of summer my project will be finished up and I myself will have something to present to you folk and would love to get some feedback at that point.
  • Looking forward to that!
  • Sorry about the late reply -- I finally made it back to Canada to my new apartment that not only had no internet, but the previous tenant had surprisingly taken all of the light fixtures, smoke alarms, and pretty much everything. 

Thanks to everyone who made Grindfest a big success, especially our amazing hosts.  I learned a ton, and will definitely be more prepared for the next one.  It was great to meet everyone in person, and I'm sorry I didn't get to say proper goodbyes to those who were still filming on Wednesday night.

I also want to throw out a special thanks to those who made the delectable vittles happen, including @glims, Max, Erin, and @helyx (hope I didn't miss anyone). 

It's been almost a week -- where are all the pics and vids?!

• edited March 2015
    I am putting up some pics that Amal took of the eye procedure onto the SfM website. Beyond that, it's up to the rest of you all who took pics. Please email them to
    and also feel free to post them here.

On another note, there was a whiteboard full of names and numbers. To everyone who went, Tim lost the picture he took of all that info, so if you could email those, that would be really helpful.

EDIT:
    Actually, to make life easy, here are the two links for the video and picture collections of the Ce6 application and also Amal getting a small implant in his arm.

They'll be downloadable until the 15th

• Hey everyone, Max here. Big thanks to glims and Cassox for hosting everyone, and to everyone else for attending. It was beyond awesome and I hope it happens again soon.

Oh and of course an additional thanks to Cass for sticking a magnet into my finger! So far zero problems, I don't think it even swelled. Wasn't really sure the magnet was in there until a bottlecap stuck to my finger.

To everyone interested in the various genetic/protein work that was discussed, I will be working on it Soon™, I promise.
  • Dang I wish I could have gone. Work work work work..

2 questions. The Ce6 application. Dem eyes tho. Is that a side effect of the Ce6? I don't remember reading that! I may have to save mine for Halloween next year...

Second, what is Amal getting in his arm there?
  • Nah, it's a protective measure. We used sclera lenses to cover my eyes so i received less light. There were lots of spotlights and bright lights in the area and we just didnt want to risk it...

Amal got a solar cell in his arm. Just to nip this in the bud, it doesn't work well enough to care. We just wanted to test it out.
  • @glims I disagree, the solar cell generated 50uA of ambient energy. this is more 50x the amount it takes to hold an atmega in deep sleep mode, which means it holds its RAM state. Additionally it proves we can use light to get signal through the skin, which means bit banging using light as your TX line. Combined with an energy harvesting IC it could wake up several times a day and take small measurements. Is this totally useful now, yes. Will it be even more useful in the future? Fuck yes. Can it be used currently to power an even remotely useful implant today.... nah dawg...nah 
  • That still doesn't make it useful. You're missing that it only produces that in direct light. Something we have a habit of screwing with by a) being somewhere that is dark and b) wearing clothes and c) tanning which will further reduce light penetration as this is the point of tanning. Also it's far from an efficient way of generating power from the body and thus not worth looking into really. Stick to body glucose. The tech already exists and your body naturally regulates it so remember to eat and your implant keep working.
  • Word, Amal is hella white. Please move the @Amal is a walking solar cell conversation to a new thread, just so we don't get all muddied up here

OK few things:

I am going to un announce this post in 24 hrs. It is no longer an even it's just a conversation.

I have received all the emails and more pics from Alex plus the ones from Amal. If anyone else has vid or pics, hook me up @BirdMachine i'm looking at you -_- . I will be posting all the pics and videos in a online repository for those who didn't get a chance to show up. The emails will be in a gdocs for everyone who came so y'all can touch base with each other.

I would like to do this again at the end of summer. Moar bbq, less camera, more photos, more organization, more implants, sound good?

Again, for a first run, I think that was a pretty solid success. When you see this bump up to announce again, it means partytime ;)
  • @glims I agree, this should have been unannounced already. Thanks.

@drjaaz if you are bit banging it is going to be direct light. And of course in direct light it ~50uA, what is it in indirect light? Well now we have the delta to apply. and the ability to hold something in sleep mode is nothing to dismiss. When you are talking about the difference between wake up times in the nano seconds vs the 65ms to allow for timing, ADC, Brown out, and other subsystems to come online. 

You seem to have had one theory "Can we power an implant? No, then its not worth looking at." I never had any disillusions that this could be used to power anything. However it revealed what we CAN use it for. and some uses are there. Lets not discount what this reveals. for example this may have shown us the simplest and best way to transmit new code to a device wirelessly without have to worry about bricking the device. That is a big deal. 
  • Can I join in the derailing? Yeah.. all I was really thinking when I saw the read out was that this would probably work well as a switch that could activated via a laser.
  • I had a blast everyone. I'm so glad everyone came down, or up... or whatever. Next time, no camera people! God I missed out on so damn much good food! Thank you guys a tons!
  • So, I sent out a invite to a gdoc for the people who put your name on the board for contact info to share. If you did not get that invite and you attended, it's because you left contact information vague (your own domain with no .com/net/whatever)
    or your handwriting is terrible.
    Please pm me and I will get you added :)

Everyone else, I have most of the photos and wil be putting them... eh.. google plus i guess? anyone have any preferences on places to put pics and video?
  • Google plus or imgur seems to be the best means for images. Videos I am not sure on how either of those sites handle them.
  • imgur and google drive pls.