Mouse cells engineered to respond to radio signal

Not at all applicable to basement bio-hacking, but some of you may find this interesting: researchers in the US genetically engineered a mouse to release insulin when its liver cells were hit by a radio signal. No mechanical apparatus at all, just good old squishy cells. Pretty neat.
Tagged:

Comments

• First off... awesome!  And then there's this:
    "The exciting thing here is the ability to have remote control over the body."

I'm all for augmentation and therapies, but that's a creepy ass statement.  Also, say you've got diabetes and use this.  Now you're all happy with a good insulin level... until the guy standing next to you decides he needs his insulin too...

I don't really care for the idea of a remote termination switch built into my cells.

Still... awesome!
  • Haha, I'd say it's way too early to worry about the practicalities of any implementation. But big step on from optogenetics, which of course only work on very small things (or through very invasive procedures). 

(point to note, though.. my wireless hearing aids have no security.... anyone with an LE bluetooth device could grab them and mess me about!)