Improvised Magnetic Implants

edited February 2015 in Magnets
I found out about the h+ movement yesterday and have sifted through every article and comment on this website. When searching I thought of some ideas and would like your I put.

1. Electro Magnetic Implant: instead of a magnet at the tip of your finger having flexible conductors in your palms with the ability to activate them with either an external power source or an internal battery of some sort. So you can have a stronger magnetic ability but on command instead of all of the time.

2. Sonar: something like bottle nose just internal. Having magnetic implants in the ear and micro coils behind the ear. In arm/hand/finger the actual sonar device that would send out radio waves or something, receive and interpret them. Also ability for trigger in arm, most likely on dominant arm behind the fist and facing away from the body, where you can put your magnetic implant in non dominant hand against it activating the ability.

3. Electric Shock: just conceptual and unlikely to do. Implanting electrodes in both hands and when you bring them together you can produce a static arc.

I'm sure I had more but have forgotten them already. Let me know what you think. You can rip them apart if you'd like!
Tagged:

Comments

• An invitation to rip things apart! Never been invited and I'll gladly accept the offer to do so!

Allright so where do I start. Point one! This has been discussed and it's a great candidate on the development roadmap. But as all implants that go beyond plain old magnets there are things to iron out. Powersupply, coatings, electrode driving. Each of those are individually being worked on , so feel free to help out there.

2. Sonar. A number of concepts have been demonstrated to work. Some based on sonar, some on IR-rangefinders. Problem is, usually you need the sensors outside the body to make them work properly, so implanting it makes little sense.

3. (nearing the end already? quite sad) You'd have to properly insulate your body from any conductor, otherwise you'd short all those pretty thousands of volts through your body. Word of advice, you don't want to do that.

It's been a pleasure. If you have more ideas to shoot down, put up a notice and I'll come by to do my duty. Btw, those ideas are not bad at all, seen worse, like the lovetron9k (very entertaining thing)
  • I remember what my main one was.

Apple products are utilizing Bluetooth 4.0 with their airdrop and other media sharing applications rather than NFC and many believe that NPC technology will become obsolete because of Bluetooth 4.0 since you don't need to be extremely close to the device in order to share information.

What is the probability that of getting a device that supports Bluetooth 4.0 like the RFID/NFC implants?
  • @ ThomasEgi thanks a lot for the feedback!

Just posted my other idea above. What do you think?
  • It's not about probabilities. It's about engineering it. Low power bluetooth has been in discussion for a while. It would fit the bill for a number of applications.
  • edited July 2014
    Interesting, Just starting here so I'll start researching
  • guess the most significant difference is the powering method. NFC tags can get away with no internal power supply as the field supplies them with enough energy to work. That makes the hardware for the small and simple. I haven't checked the Bluetooth 4 specs but I'm 99,9% sure you do need a proper power supply to keep Bluetooth devices running.
  • edited July 2014
    I was thinking you could use a lithium ion batter(like those used in pacemakers) and paired with a tiny induction coil. When the battery dies the Bluetooth could notify you on your phone and you could put an armband over the implant that would charge the lithium ion battery through induction. Like how a sonic are toothbrush uses inductive charging. Like this one http://www.micromanufacturing.com/content/induction-coils
  • @pkp336 The problem with batteries is that the ones capable of powering Bluetooth for any significant time are rather large, at least according to my research on the subject, though I could be (and often hope that I am) wrong.
    @ThomasEgi Bluetooth 4 is just as active as ever, though it is much less power hungry than previous versions of Bluetooth, which makes it that much more feasible of an idea for short-term implants.
  • @DarkDJ117, I have seen some rather small devices with Bluetooth capabilities so I wonder how long they last on a charge. Also, uBeam has a wireless charging technology that is just coming out that you can charge your phone or eventually a Bluetooth implant with from anywhere around a room. Just thoughts
  • http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529206/a-batteryless-sensor-chip-for-the-internet-of-things/

this is interesting by the way. Probably not useful with bluetooth 4.0 but definitely good for biohacking

• BLE is great, but the issue (as always) is power. FYI, pacemakers do not use lithium, they use a totally different chemistry. the reason a pacemaker can last from 5-10 years is they only require microamps, and BLE requires milliamps.

batteries in general are not typically safe for implantation... lithium can explode, heat up, leak, and generally be unsafe in a number of ways. there are biosafe lithium batteries but they range in price from "holy shit" to "no fucking way".

i'm looking forward to zincpoly from imprint energy and/or graphene based storage - both of which carry similar energy density to lithium, but are much safer.
  • That makes sense. What does the circadia use as a power source?
  • @pkp336 they used a common lithium ion battery - big, bulky, and not particularly safe... but they did a bunch of tests on it first to try their best to ensure it wouldn't explode :)
  • Oh makes sense. It was rather large. If only we could efficiently harvest the body's naturally released energy
  • Just thought of something else that would be a good product to offer to those wanting to implant a magnet @amal. Is there anything that will hold the magnet in place under the skin to prevent migration and rejection? I thought about suturing the pit together close to the initial incision but maybe there is a better way? 
  • @pkp336 we are actually looking at some options for this. one options we're exploring is a collagen matrix that can be used to pocket the magnet that would have a little "flap" that would hang toward the incision site, and then sewing the matrix in place as the wound is closed. This should keep the magnet in place and the matrix would assist in reducing scar tissue and speed healing around the magnet including the incision site itself.

Of course, this is just an idea and we'll be discussing it and eventually testing it before suggesting it or supplying the collagen matrix pockets with the magnets.

There is another thing we're looking at but the collagen matrix is the most promising option.

The first thing we're looking into though is commercial sterilization options because many professionals have issues with not being able to sterilize these magnets in an autoclave.

The other interesting thing we're working on is an installation tool useful for elevating tissue and placing the magnet. Pretty exciting stuff!
  • @amal That sounds super cool. What sort of options are there for commercial sterilization that doesn't affect the magnet strength?

Do you guys have a prototype worked up for the installation tool, or just an idea so far?
  • Awesome! This stuff sounds great and im sure it will definitely improve magnet implantation. If you every need a guinea pig let me know! haha