Magnetic Implant Sensitivity

edited February 2015 in Magnets
Hi all I was just curious to see how sensitive everyone's implants were - what electromagnetic fields they could pick up with them.
Vaguely people have mentioned very broadly varied reports of sensitivity from can openers to electric cars driving by, so I'm curious what are somethings you guys can actually feel and from how far away. Be sure to mention what magnet you have, where, and how long you've had it.
I'll start.

I have a parylene coated cylinder in my left ring finger, have had it for about three months. 
Here's what I can feel:
-Most things with a motor at about an inch or two away: shredder, blender, computer fans (these i have to be a bit closer to)
-Some but not most wall wart transformers, from as much as 6 inches away in some cases (I assume most have some shielding so I don't feel anythign from them)
-Microwave oven while operating from 6+ inches away
-Unshielded bench DC powersupply from about 2-3 inches away
-Main house circuit breakers from <1 inch away (and can distinguish which have more current going through them)
-Power wires for high current draw devices from an inch or so: Air conditioning, dryer, heavy duty blender, etc
-Very specific parts of large club speakers from about 1-2 inch away.. presumably i feel the internal subwoofer coil... but i only feel it on one side of the speaker.

I'm sure there's some other things but that's the gist of it

Comments

• I've got a Haworth disk in my left ring figure.

I can feel things like computer fans and hard drives from a 1-3 cm.

some things like ac/dc power supply converters and my washing machine control panel from 1-5 cm.

idle microwaves from 3-5 cm

active microwaves from 5-30 cm depending on the model

electric motors in vehicles from up to 1 meter away

I have never felt anything from an active wire of any sort.
  • @AmmonRa, i'm surprised you can't feel anything from wires...have you tested with AC power lines and not just DC? I imagine the DC lines would have very little effect on a magnet as its the alternating electromagnetic fields that cause the magnet to vibrate...hopefully you can begin sensing at some point, thats the main reason I want a magnet.
  • I can only feel wires AC wires that have A LOT of current running through them - 
    My computer power cable - nothing
    The power cable to 6 monitors - at about 2-3mm away
    Power cable to my 1500 Watt blender - yes

When you say idle you mean not doing anything at all? interesting I wouldn't have expected a noticeable signal from that

• Though come to think of it.. it is possible that my PC power cable is shielded
  • by idle I mean without the magnetron operating, i.e. just displaying the time waiting for someone to start using it.

Interestingly, I've noticed that the more powerful microwaves tend to output less noticeable fields, I assume this is because they cost more, and so have better shielding.
  • I have had my Haworth magnet for 4 months and the only thing I can begin to sense is my alarm clock from an inch away. Otherwise everything else that has been mentioned so far in this thread plus some others are not noticeable. I am waiting around just to see if it is on my end with a slow healing process or if it really is the magnet itself that is weakened for whatever the reason may be.

Judging from the sound of the progress everyone else has had I believe it might be the magnet itself or how Haworth had placed it in my finger.

@AmmonRa about how long have you had your magnet installed? I only live 20 minutes away from Haworth so I probably will be texting him sometime tomorrow and getting his opinion about it. Worst case I will just remove it myself then put in the new beta magnet myself into my finger this time.
  • I've had mine for about 1.5 years, most people say it takes months of healing before they gain full sensitivity, but for me it was the opposite, it was very sensitive to begin with, I could feel things like my computer power unit from 30 cm away, but it slowly became less sensitive over the first few months, now it has stabilized with the results I listed above.
  • Ahh gotcha. Interesting indeed. Thanks for the input.
    Looks like I should go figure out what is up with my implant then.

What would you guys then say about cat5 cables and such?
    Enough shielding on those puppies or still able to feel enough power through them?
  • Cat 5 cables aren't generally shielded (they use the twist-pairs to combat noise) but the voltage and current going through them is very low: +-2.5V much too low to feel.. Also signal would probably be too high frequency.

• Ahh fair enough. That definitely is a good point.
    I forgot about the fact that they don't take much to transport data across ;-;

Looks like more sleep might be important at this point if I am forgetting something as simple as that.