Gene Gun

Comments

• What would you do with it? Any specific plans/ideas?
  • That thing looks sick. Have no idea how you could use it without serious skills and a lab though

• hmmm i have skills and we're building a lab in a few weeks...
  • Well there you go lol. Where are you located btw @glims?

• $600 for the particles (gene carriers), well over $2000 for the rest of the kit (inferred). This is pricing for academic/pharmaceutical research...
  • Sounds about right for lab equipment. Luckily SfM is considered a research corp....
  • @dokclaw 2k seems way too cheap, I've been searching and found cheap Chinese gene guns for 8k, I'm guessing that Helios gun will be well over 20k
  • The next GMO in the making with the gene gun.
  • SfM? I would have thought that corporate (i.e. for-profit) pricing would be higher...
    I didn't want to bother with getting a quote for these things, so $2000 was based on the price of the helium "compressor" kit; as you say, the gun itself is likely to be well over that price...
  • Science for the Masses (SfM) falls under the research heading of llc definition, so while we are still making things to make us money, our primary focus in on non institutional research, so like academic or pharm, but without the... resources :( sigh...

Tools don't usually get cheaper just because you are buying them through a university. From my experience, it just feels that way because the people using the toys rarely have to worry about the cost. The last super amazing organic GPC i set up still cost the lab 30k, we just didn't talk about it much...

Anything under 2k is not even something you need to ask permission to order. Anything under 15 is still within standard lab tool costs.
    This is why the openPCR project and others are so important for making tools accessible to others.
  • Have I not posted about the research lab and grinder fun space that Cassox and I are building in SoCal? Man, I need to get on my game. I guess I'll make a post tomorrow since I'm moving down there in 4 days to focus on weird sciency passions instead of working for the university anymore...

Sorry for hijacking the thread. 
  • That's an extremely overpriced gun! Honestly, while I don't happen to have a helium tank sitting around, a person could build the gun itself, and I mean everything past the initial tank regulator for a few hundred dollars...would there be much interest in something like that?
  • I thought the first gene gone was made from a modified airsoft gun. Probably not as fancy, but couldn't that be a viable alternative instead of what is undoubtedly very expensive?