New Magnet Design Beta

Comments

• @pkp336 the issue with a head to head comparison when magnets are implanted is that it would not really generate valid test data. This is because the implant depth of one magnet may result in more tissue between it and the target weight than another implant at slightly less depth - it's too subjective of a test to get real good valuable comparison data. Of course, if one magnet vastly out-performs another, then the nuances if tissue thickness may not matter, but I'd rather plan out and perform a precise test if we're going to bother testing :)
  • @amal that makes sense. I also would like some instructions on where to put the magnet in the finger. My mother is a doctor so I am going back to my hometown to have it done so I need to know the best spot in the fingertip to implant it. I know one of the hackers here posted a video guide but I can't remember where it is
  • @pkp336 In the past, people were placing magnets to the side of their finger pad, so the magnet was basically sticking out the side of their finger. This was actually recommended due to the face that these magnets were so large (coating thickness) that putting them under the pad made no sense. As you can see in the video, the placement for this small 1mm thick disc is essentially directly under the pad of the finger. The only issue one might have is migration due to mechanical forces... like a rock climber probably wouldn't want it directly under a load-bearing finger pad.

Sorry to be so vague, but unlike glass RF transponders, placement of magnets is still somewhat up in the air, and since the m31 is robust and small, it can be placed almost anywhere the user would like it to be placed. To get right to the point, we have not yet evaluated the placements most common to the biohacker community and cannot give a specific recommendation at this time. Should the opportunity arise to discuss and evaluate these kinds of placements with a medically trained surgeon, we will definitely publish those results.
  • @amal that is one thing I worry about because I do rock climb lol. I'll keep researching about it then
  • @pkp336 I figured with your photo :) I'm going to put mine in my wrist, just behind the small bone that protrudes under the knife edge of the palm. I'd take a pic and post it but I can't seem to find my phone at the moment.
  • @amal Are there sufficient nerves in that area? I really want it in my finger because I also fix iPhones so I'd like the ability to pick up those pesky screws. I may just go ahead and put it in the pad of the finger like glims. @glims after having it in your fingertip how does it feel when pressure is applied?
  • it feels fine actually. it's very thin. not issues grabbing or carrying stuff. I was in a lake yesterday and did a lot of climbing up the sides of the boat using the structure, not the ladder, and there were no issues.
    also, while it was implanted deep initially, there was minor movement in the initial healing and its on the side now, right where I want it.
    as a rock climber, you're probably using your index and your middle finger a lot more than the ring finger. between that, the robustness of the device and the small size, i highly doubt you'll have any issues.
  • @glims how deep should it be implanted? And rock climbing uses a surprising amount of the last three fingers as well. I'm just worried I'll feel the magnet being squeezed and it hurting/breaking. How much do you feel the magnet when doing every day tasks and how much while gripping things?
  • Hi guys, 

Thanks a ton for putting all the work into this. Just ordered several for me + friends. I have one of Brian Deckers older cylinder magnets so I am looking forward to comparing it.

@amal, why the wrist location? Are there advantages to having it there that the fingers don't have?
  • @meanderingman The only advantage I can think of for having the magnet in the wrist is that it will be out of the way. I know people have not had issues with finger placements, but I've also seen some people with serious problems and rejecting in the finger pad location. Likely, rejection was due to choking - blocking blood flow to dermis cells "above" the magnet, which is probably due to the magnet being too large for the area (thick coating). The m31 is so space efficient I'm sure I could put one into my pinky pad and not have a problem... but I'm interested in the wrist location just because only a few people have tried it there so far and it seems like a low risk area.

Testing tactile sensation on that part of the wrist shows that it is just as sensitive as the pad of the finger when lightly dragging objects across the skin's surface, however small "vibration" type movements of an object stuck directly to the skin are not picked up as readily as the finger pads. It's that back and forth movement that the finger pads are so good at picking up, and truth be told, I will probably end up being disappointed with sensitivity and end up getting another m31 in one of my fingers :)
  • @pkp336 You want to watch cassox's videos on magnet implantation. While he doesn't have the speed of the piercer in the video above, he is a pro (med tech) and he does a great job breaking down how you should get your magnet in the interstitial subcutaneous layer. it's quality work.
    basically, you want it in between the muscle and the skin. that's a whole 'nother thread and i think it's covered in the vids way better than i could breakdown in a paragraph or two.

@meanderingman ou are going to notice that it is not as powerful as the cylinders. however, this is because its not nearly the same mass.
    if you want that same level of umph, stack them, do a dual nerve implant (ring finger and index finger) or wait for our next development coming soon that will increase strength without changing mass....
  • Ok. how does the strength compare? Is sensitivity going to be on the same level, or are strength and sensitivity directly correlated? I currently have an the cylinder in my ring finger, so the m31 will be index. Even if its not as powerful thats ok, the smaller footprint will be worth it on a dominant finger. The cylinder is bulky and wouldn't want something that size on my index. 

What does the timeline look like for the next version look like and what kind of increases do you think you will be seeing?
  • Actually, I'm going to be re-doing the magnet videos and instructional as well. When I first did it, it was really just based on knowledge etc. from my proffesion but I think I can add a lot more important information and some hints. Yes, I am far slower than the piercer. Then again... I was doing it to myself one-handed with my non-dominant hand. All in all, I'd say I'm the dread fucking pirate Roberts.
  • Ok cool thanks @glims. And @cassox Kim looking forward to your new video
  • Hey guys new to the forum's, but i have been reading like a man possessed the last few days haha 

@glims I was just wondering if you guys will be sending these to Australia at all? It seems Steve Haworth will be in my neck of the woods in November, seeing as he wont have these yet i was hoping i could get him to install them. No problem if you guys dont send them this way, he is only here for 2 days so the chances of me getting in are slim -_-
  • @10Th_Legion we will ship pre-orders world-wide, but eventually we will close down sales to just our partners and body modders who want to become partners. Steve has his own magnets, so he may not want to install other magnets, but something tells me he'd rather get paid for a procedure than not, so if you pick up an m31 as a pre-order beta customer, then it's worth a shot asking him.

We will also be looking for qualified partners in Australia and other areas who can perform installations of the m31 and will be adding them to our partner map under a new classification.
  • ahhh fantastic! i emailed a place here and it seems that they are getting both Steve and samppa von cyborg in. I think samppa is going to be teaching them how to do the implants as he is with them for a week, steve is there for only 2 days. Here is their email address, so maybe with some luck they will be happy for the source :D

• edited August 2014
    Just ordered two, I'm psyched! Has anybody started feeling electromagnetic waves with these yet? I'm curious to know if they provide enough sensation to feel the same EM waves you can pick up with larger magnets?...I realize this is something I should've figured out before ordering but I'm too excited to wait and will just hope I get decent EM sensitivity.
  • edited August 2014
    When will the Dangerous Things partners be getting the magnets? Will there be any difference in cost? I'm debating whether I should buy my own and have a partner implant it for me, or just wait for him to get them in. I don't think I'm ready to do a self-implant.
  • @jamcar23 I suggest buying your own now and then having a partner implant it.
    They will be a bit more expensive if you wait, and there is no real reason to do so, as this opportunity is available for you now.

@MattGuy the magnets will be shipping by the end of the month. currently there is only one human test subject and he is still healing ;) however, nerve sensation is increasing and I have been noticing little buzzes here and there. My body is still learning.
  • Sweet just ordered one for myself.

@glims Out of curiosity as I cannot find any other detail posted previously, would it be worth it to remove the 4 month old "Haworth" magnet to get this one implanted in the same location?

I ask as eventually I plan on getting two magnets into my right hand (considering I am left hand dominant) and would either use this one in addition to what I already have or instead just go with an upgrade now and then use an updated model later on.

Mainly I am bringing this up as it has been 4 months and the only field I can recognize so far is from my alarm clock on my desk so I am not entirely sure if it is a matter of giving it the typical year for the nerves to heal then compare the strength from what I have heard from other people or the possibility that the magnet has reduced strength for whatever the reason is and save the time waiting around for a dud.

Thanks for any input you can provide ahead of time as I recognize that you are pretty busy with all the new things going on this month and how these questions are probably along the lines of the common knowledge that you have.
  • Proxy, into memory systems?
  • I assume the pic is a Bruno?
  • Cassox it's a human transmutation circle from the anime/manga Fullmetal Alchemist. it's used for the forbidden alchemy of making/changing a human body. I'd say it's very appropriate for this forum ;)
  • @Proxy  I believe that it would be worth it. We are the only people who have actually done tests on our magnets to see if they are safe and powerful.

I recognized the symbol, but I was thnking Proxy as in Ergo Proxy...
  • @Cassox What AmmonRa said, as I thought the transmutation circle would be most fitting. To add what was already mentioned it also goes into detail within the show saying that one cannot receive something of value without having something of equal value taken away while performing alchemy.

You would still be correct though about memory systems as I like to constantly research anything that I find useful and I usually need to find a way to cram all that knowledge into my head in a short time period.

@glims Gotcha. I have no problem removing the current one as I believe I am prepped enough to implant the newer ones. Considering that it is only 4 months fresh how long should I wait again on an average before placing in the updated model after I remove the current one?

Ergo Proxy is a great show. Also something that would tie into my handle. Proxy for the most part was given to me as a nickname from my friends as I am going into the Network Security field with an interest in the BioTech field.
  • Just ordered my first set, pretty stoked congrats on your guys hard work and sourcing everything.
  • Put my order in for one of these last night cant wait till they ship.  man, I have being an adult. I can buy myself present whenever I want, I have to pay for them, I know what they are before I open them, and I still have to wait for the day some fat guy drops them off at my house! lol
  • And that's two more added to the order :) Looks like I'll need to take an out of state journey to have them installed, but it'll be worth it!
  • Call around your local shops, where I am the shops aren't allowed to do this kind of stuff but I found a guys who travels doing piercings and such and is certified in another state. after talking to him he agreed to implant mine outside of his shop so there is no credentials issues.  there might be a guy like that near you as well.