Documenting progress / Hi

edited February 2015 in Procedures
Hello. Twinkle here. I'm getting a magnet implanted in The base of my hand, in 1-2 weeks, and was just wondering if someone has any exercises/test they'd like me to do during healing phase. Otherwise I'll make up some 

Also, is there a collection of data about healing, area sensitivity, or anything?

Sorry if my googlefu failed me on this. Glad to 'meet' y'all. 

Comments

• Dont do "exercises" this will open the wound
  • Totally. Rest your hand until you are fully healed. This may take a week +....

Also, you mention base of your hand? Where exactly are you getting this done?

• Well, I wasn't thinking about magneto pushups, as much as doing test of sensitivity to get indsights om healing speed. But mkay.

@glims I'm thinking right below my pinky muscle, above my wrist, but I'm not 100% on the exact location yet.
  • Well, I wasn't thinking about magneto pushups, as much as doing test of sensitivity to get indsights om healing speed. But mkay.

@glims I'm thinking right below my pinky muscle, above my wrist, but I'm not 100% on the exact location yet.
  • Sorry, crazy vacation connectiction.
  • I recommend taking it easy at first. I have that same location and a few days after the procedure I went back to my circus hooping classes. I used paper towels and duct tape to "pad" the area for hand hooping, but I still ended up causing a lot of scaring on the location which I believe is part of why it's not as sensitive as I've heard it could be. I'm still looking forward to the scar tissue breaking down, but taking the week off would have been a much better decision.
  • Any particular reason you aren't going with the tried and tested fingertip location?

• Basically, two reasons. The Body artist who's putting it in mentioned that, besides it being annoying and succeptible to moving in the finger, it was prone to mistakenly trigger the turn off screen switch in my MacBook. Seing as i work as a programmer, that'd be annoying. Also, he mentioned that i'd have to take at least a week off for it to heal before programming on, and that's not really an option. Figured I'd pop one on the finger eventually if i was dissapointed with the hand one.
  • edited July 2014
    As a programmer, and someone who plays saxophone/bass guitar/piano, I can tell you that you have nothing to worry about with the finger tip.  Yeah, you can accidentally put your laptop to sleep by going over the sensor...but seriously, take a second and find it with another magnet.  Generally its off the the side and top of the keyboard area...not somewhere you are going to put your fingers constantly.  And honestly, something that you can unlearn if it is a habit.  This sensor is not under the keys or anything annoying like that.

You really want to let it heal completely before exposing it to a strong magnet though.  After letting it heal a week or 2, you can try sticking a single staple to it...But I wouldn't do much more than that.

EDIT:  I was able to type comfortably within a few hours.  I took it slow, but by the next day there was no issues.  And I'm on of those people that type loud enough to be heard down the hall.  If your guy is good then this shouldn't be a problem. 
  • Well, that is sorta refreshing news. My guy is top notch. He did also mentioned that the constant sensing of a laptop might be sorta annoying though?
  • No way!  I really miss my old laptop, mostly because I could feel the heartbeat!  Nothing like ramping up that processor and knowing how hard it's working because you feel the fan spinning!  You can also sense the hard drive spinning, though that really varies from drive to drive. 

It's not annoying.  It's kinda like vibrating motors on a controller...If you're thinking about it or not expecting it, you're going to feel it.  But if you've been playing all day you don't consciously notice it.
  • Hahaha, ok. I guess you've sorta convinced me. I'm wondering, which finger did you put yours into, iexiak? :)

• Left hand middle and pinky.  If you look at the images, they are slightly off to the side from the pad.  Good luck man!

http://discuss.biohack.me/discussion/344/magnets-are-finally-in#Item_3

• Aaaand it's in! Woo! Left ringfinger. 
  • Congrats!