Questions with magnets

edited February 2015 in Magnets
Well I would like 4 in my left hand for a 3d effect on every other finger and in my wrist.
I have a fear of needles and cannot tolerate much pain what percent of places that would do this would give local anaesthesia?
How much would four neodymium magnets costs, and implanting them?

Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Hi!

You won't find any body mod artists that will give you anesthesia; it's against the law. If you want anesthesia, you'll have to order and administer it yourself.

You can find a number of options for magnets on these boards; supermagnetman's parylene magnets are pretty cheap at about $.75 each, although there are a number of other options with silicone, and you may want to do some more reading on this board.

Doing surgery, especially in your wrist, is a big proposition. If you don't do it yourself, all you'll get is ice water to kill the pain. I'd really encourage you to continue researching an reading on this board - if you have a fear of needles and a super low pain tolerance, you'll want to do a lot of due diligence and make sure this is something you want.
  • My body mod artist used anesthesia and it went extremely well, I would suggest getting Steve Haworth´s magnets for $100 
  • Oh wow - what artist? Common understanding on the board is that body do artists are not allowed to do that - perhaps we're wrong?
  • Its all on a case by case basis. Dangerous Things and SfM is actually setting up an affiliate network of modders who will professionally do implants for you. Body modding is nothing new. We're working on getting this particular mod into the fold...
  • edited June 2014
    He is named Luis Garcia AKA "Loco" .... BUT (here comes the downside) He is in Mexico, I can send you his details if you want
  • edited June 2014
    Will have gotten burnt on each finger affect sensitivity?
    And will my wrist and thumb be sensitive enough I think putting the magnets side by side may be better I liked that during the "trial" run when I put magnets on my fingernails not inside them.
  • I was able to get a local anesthesia too, though I was asked not to share who and where I had mine done. It's probably based on varying laws between different states/countries.
  • Administration of lidocaine without a prescription is illegal in the US across the board. It isn't scheduled however.
  • To confirm my understanding - it's illegal to use on anyone but yourself? Or does giving it to yourself count as illegal administration (i.e. legal to have but not to use)? And how does that fit in with OTC lidocaine gels, patches, etc? Is it only in injectable solution that's problematic? Is DangerousThings.com & @Amal above board, then?
  • @mothball I believe the OTC gels are restricted to 5% because of a labeling issue. The FDA requires OTC drugs to be labelled based on active ingredients, for their intended use, and applied as indicated - which all must abide by the FDA monograph for that active drug component. As such, the FDA only provides a monograph for 5% topical application of lidocaine, hence you can't sell >5% topical gels because you can't properly label them.

I am also looking into prescriptive law, but again, I run up against FDA requirements that only tie back to the drug schedule, so for all intents and purposes, I can't find any law that says "it is illegal to sell 2% USP lidocaine solution", However, law is interpreted, and any lawyer would say that it seems obvious that common sense would dictate lidocaine solution was illegal to sell... hell, I've had lawyers tell me it was a controlled substance (on the drug schedule) when it's not. The bottom line is, everybody "feels like" it should be illegal, and that may be where problems crop up later down the line for selling the PMK. For now, I'm going to work through my inventory and I will need to decide if I'm to resupply or not.
  • Weird... I just checked some of the specific wording per the FDA:

No controlled substance in schedule II, which is a prescription drug
    as determined under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C.
    301 et seq.), may be dispensed without the written prescription of a
    practitioner.

It seems that I'm wrong in that Lidocaine isn't schedule II... so even if labeled and dissolved for injection... I don't think it would be illegal. Strange strange.
  • RE: Side by side magnets, don't put them in the same finger.  They may pull together and rub, and that could weaken the coating.