Implantable temperature sensor

edited February 2015 in RFID/NFC
http://statigr.am/p/564622620067051870_371724045

Not sure how up to date people are with Steve Haworth and Grindhouse Wetware's current project.
They
are still stress testing it however it looks like it could be something
that could stay implanted at least for a few years presuming the
batteries are able to keep the abuse of constant recharging considering
it is Bluetooth which can be a decent drain on a battery.

Comments

• I've been thinking of things that can interact with existing magnets. Maybe transmitting information by making the magnets vibrate a certain way to give information to you. A type of morse code if you will.
  • @Sixth_sense, do you mean like Grindhouse Wetware's Bottlenose project?
  • I cannot remember and not at my computer to be able to research it. Were they at the point where others can take their source and mod it to our own needs? Or at the least the blueprints to create our own?
  • edited March 2014
    Again, this is way too big IMO.
    The circadia is just huge.
  • Yeah I was thinking that also. It seemed rather large to be implanted in any area such as the arm or hand. Would anyone know where the "ideal" spot would be to get this size of a gadget implanted?
  • There is no ideal place where sticking something that size is a good idea...
  • Appendix replacement!
  • i really hope you are joking -_- sometime people say stuff 'round here and they actually mean it...
  • @glims: No need to worry, I'm mostly joking. I'd love to know what all the downsides are, though.
  • tl;dr - Your body is a round soft object, the best thing to implant in it are round soft objects.

Your body is a fluid and very interconnected system. Placing smaller objects in the body can work, but the larger they get, the more likely it is that their placement will interrupt crucial movement of nutrients/fluids/gasses. Placing things subdermally will work better than most, especially in fatty areas (breast implants, butt implants). If you were to place something large in your body, your butt would actually be the best idea. Of course, when it comes to more rigid objects, the potential for tearing and surface coating degradation increases rapidly as well as biological pressures that will cause unwanted buildups and blockages. It goes without saying that corners are always a bad idea.

Putting things inside your body cavity is a whole 'nother layer of complicated. Your organs are supported not only by bones and muscles but your mesentary as well. Without a solid integrated attachment point, every time you moved, you're internal pokedex would slip around, poking holes in your extra soft bits and generally wreaking havoc. Beyond that, something like your appendix is on average about 11cm long and only 8 mm in diameter. The size and attachment restrictions alone...

• edited March 2014
    @glims: Wow, thanks for the detailed response.

Now I'm curious, though: what are the downsides of butt implants?
  • well, if you have something hard / breakable and you sit / fall / get a swift kick, those things may damage your device / coating. Remember, the booty is plush because it's an impact area :)
  • TIL not to get kicked in the butt if I ever plan on implanting gadgets there.

http://www.identipet.com/biothermo.html

I found this link as well. "Intended" for animals however I can't see why this couldn't work out in our favor even more. Unless someone designs something new it will use their little reader to give intel about the body.

I read that it normally is placed in the shoulders of animals. Considering the size would it be realistic to implant in our shoulder as well or would it just be better to stick it in the hand like most other readers?
  • Don't put something in the hand unless it needs to be there.
    Beyond that tho, while I know everyone is really excited about sticking things in their bodies for fun, have you been to the doctor lately? They just swipe a thermometer across your forehead and have a temp in about 3 seconds. It's not like this thing would be broadcasting to your phone, the antenna is way to small for that.

So why? I mean if your aren't bringing a new function or increasing functionality... what's that thing we say about bodies and handbags?
  • i generally agree with glims here. On the other hand, we are still in an early process of figuring things out. So even comparably useless and non-enhancing implants can provide valuable information about a variety of processes involved in manufactoring, implanting, operating and removing implants.
    Also building RFID based circuits like that is rather easy: http://scanlime.org/2008/09/using-an-avr-as-an-rfid-tag/ the link appears to be offline atm, but maybe archive.org will do the trick. The simplest version is just an attiny + inductor. Externally powering an implant can be a quite acceptable for prototyping.
  • If you guys are going to inject / implant a temp sensor or other device that is not hand specific, i would suggest putting it in your chest, on the upper side of the pec major toward the center, with the top edge around 2cm below the clavicle.
  • Good point there @glims. I ask more out of a theoretical approach, however as you have said many times not everyone is being theoretical when it comes to asking about things such as this.

I normally take the same approach with my body as I do when working on a network. Asking the big WHY question before adding anything that is not essential.
  • Ok, so what circuit implants do you folks actually see a purpose for? Keep it realistic. Any deeper than subdermal isn't realistic. Anything mechanical isn't realistic. Essentially, nervous system interface seems the best candidate.