Are the RFIDs that come with pet injectors decent?

edited February 2015 in RFID/NFC
I just did my magnetic implant in my finger via the injection method, My injector was the Home Again pet chip, and it came with an RFID tag. Would this be a viable option for implant, or should I just buy a good one?
Sorry for starting a new discussion about this, couldn't find any threads about it.

Comments

• They're covered in Parylene-C or similar anti-migration coating, for starters - unlike the ones you get from Dangerous Things. So removal would be slightly trickier.
    Best person to answer this query, though, would be @Amal.
  • Ah, but of course amal is going to recommend that the OP implant one of his chips--he never passes up the chance to harvest another soul. All hail the antichrist! :P
  • I have a pet chip myself. They do work but they operate with a different standard then most rfid equipment out there. So it's only a good option to go for when you know for sure that your chip and the equipment you want to use are compatible.
    So if you want things to "just work" go with the chips from Amal. If you know how to build your own rfid-base station hardware, a pet chip will be a cheap and easy option.
  • On the plus side, you'd be able to get your local vet to scan your chip - though it could be I'm the only one who thinks that sounds like fun.
  • edited February 2014
    Alright thanks, I may just bite the bullet and buy the $99 one from Amal, but I probably won't do this until after I'm done with magnets, I accidentally had my magnet to shallow and not enough on the side, so I had to cut it out. That gives me plenty of time to think.
  • Figure out what you want to use it for first. I got the $29 xEM tag as my first RFID implant; works great with hobby kit door locks, if you want to start your bike or car etc. The xM1 ($99) has larger storage, some crypto features and works with certain NFC phones, while the soon-to-be-released xNT (also $99) is fully NFC complaint but has limited storage.
  • Alright, thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind.
  • /me laughs at "some crypto features", the xM1 is just a Mifare Classic, I can break the crypto those chips easy