Magnet-Activated Phones?

edited February 2015 in Magnets
What I wouldn't give to be able to use an app like this with my magnet ...
http://www.magitact.com/index.html
Does anybody know of anything else out there that's similar?
I've also contacted the German makers of MagiTact to see if it's possible to get a copy.

Comments

• That looks pretty nifty. Do you think the magnets we use for implantation will be strong enough for that, though?
  • For Android- Android Sensor Box

Mine can pick up the magnet in a ~2cm sphere around the top left corner (Note 2).  It does an ok job at detecting how far away the magnet is.
  • According to the MagiTact website, a simple fridge magnet will work for one of their apps. Can't really see myself using the MagiBoxing option, which requires a ring-shaped magnet, so no loss there if our implants aren't strong enough.

Heard from Telekom Innovation Laboratories a few hours ago; their rep wanted my contact details so their MagiTact project leader could get in touch. Will keep my magnet finger crossed.

• I have played around with the compass app on my phone and it can definitely detect the presence o my magnet. I haven't done anything useful with it though.
  • Found a bunch of new(ish) iPhone apps that will work with our magnets ... My hands-down favourite being:
    Particle Magnetophone - https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/a-particle-magnetophone/id485278828?mt=8
  • edited January 2014
    I've found that getting too close to the magnetometer causes it to stop for a moment, at least on an iPhone 3GS.

I know that's a somewhat vague description, I'll work on it later.
  • magnetometers can get like.. magnetized. Which is probably what happens when you move the magnet to close. The good news: the chips have a build in function to reset this condition. Usually this function has to be called by software. So the iPhone OS may take a while before it detects the condition and resets the chip.
  • Apparently the iPhone 3GS magnetometer has several flaws so this doesn;t surprise me. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the newer models.

• edited January 2014
    Also, since phone covers use magnets to stay closed beware of phones that detect magnets and go to sleep / consider when testing apps:
  • That's one of my favourite party tricks, @MattGuy ... I love turning iPads on and off using those hidden sensors.