Can people with magnet implants feel NFC or bluetooth?

edited February 2015 in Magnets
I've been thinking about getting a neo magnet implant for awhile now and wondering how I would interface with it. I was wondering if anyone with one has experimented with using NFC or bluetooth? My idea, if it is detectable, would be to write an app for my phone that sends pulses through either protocol to provide me with input. I suspect both are too weak to feel though. It would eliminate the need for another device if it did work.
Tagged:

Comments

• I've got two magnets that are fairly sensitive, and I've done a lot of BT and NFC stuff for other purposes and have never noticed any sensation at all. However, holding my implants very near to a bluetooth device does seem to cause interference, it takes longer to pair and the quality of audio is slightly affected. They also cause a fair amount of interference in coaxial cable for old CRT televisions, waving my hand near the cable causes patterns of "snow" in the video signal which is quite fascinating. But even then, no sensation - it seems to be a one-way street.
  • I don't think you'd be able to detect vibrations at NFC or Bluetooth frequencies even if the signal strength were strong enough to cause the magnet to vibrate.

I have two different magnets. One is a 3mm diameter x 1mm thick disk in my nondominant middle finger and the other is a .7mm diameter x 1mm thick cylindar in my nondominant ring finger. Of the two, the smaller one would be more likely to pick up higher frequencies but I have never detected much of anything with it. The 3mm one picks up audio frequencies (ex. 60hz) quite well, but not radio frequencies.

It would be a good project to produce a bottlenose-like device that picks up the desired frequency range and activates an electromatic coil with a frequency and intensity that the finger magnet can pick up. Projects like this are actually being discussed here.
  • Is the magnets size or geometry what effects the range of frequencies they can pick up?

I'm thinking I'd like a variety of different ones depending on the answer.
  • Size, geometry, mass, and mass distribution. don't get your hopes up. without an active system described by mkabala you are limited to frequencies in the 2 to 5 digit Hz range. sensing MHz or even GHz is out of question. there is just no time for the magnet to accelerate and move, given the strength of the magnetic fields. the other limiting thing would be the sensory cells picking up that motion.
  • I sometimes feel a very faint buzzing in my magnet when holding mobile phones, I really don't know what the source is, I thought maybe NFC, but I even feel it when the NFC is switched off. maybe the GSM radio? remember how the old ones used to interfere with speakers when a txt was received? that was the GSM messing with the magnets in the speakers so could be the same thing...
  • it's not the magnets in your speakers picking up anything. the thing you hear when getting a call or receiving an sms are caused from GSM bursts ( http://www.electronicsfaq.com/2010/05/gsm-217hz-tdma-noise.html ). as mobiles have quite a bit of transmitting power those bursts will interact with poorly shielded electronics pretty easily. the reason you hear this on your speakers is that most audio-equipment is not shielded at all. combined with audio cables acting as antenna, lots of sneaky current pathes to demodulate the radio frequency and signal amplification for the speakers those bursts end up very audible.
    if you simply put a magnet on a desk and your mobile next to it. nothing will happen.
  • oh, I see, thanks for correcting me. In that case I have no idea what I'm feeling in smart phones.
  • I would presume it has nothing to do with any of the active transmitters, and is just signal noise from within the phone itself.  The signal to the display itself is generally going to have the most power out of anything going on in a smartphone, and the signal is within detectable frequencies, so is a good candidate for this.
  • altho the display illumination does eat a lot of power. it doesn't carry any high frequencies, it's not a source of "noise" (that wouldn't fit any definition that would make sense here) and is not subject to radiate energy out (except of course light and heat but that's not the point here).
    all i can do is pointing at my previous post and an encourage you to do a websearch for "GSM burst interference". there are many sites describing the problem and possible sollutions to minimize the effect in detail.