Earphone magnets

edited February 2015 in Magnets
I've been looking into magnet implants for a while now and recently found that iPhone earphones contain small but rather strong disk shaped magnets, these are strong enough to hold even a spoon and still need a lot of force to pull it away! The magnet itself is rather big for an implant, about 8 mm diameter, 2 mill high with a 2 mill hole through the centre would hot glue serve as a bioproof coating? Or plastic weld epoxy? PVA? or normal silicone sealant, the kind that comes in tubes and is used for household DIY And where could I implant such a large disk but still get the sensations and feelings from having it? Would it fit in a fingertip? Lots of questions there so any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm fairly new to this so don't rip me up for my lack of knowledge ;) and thanks for accepting me into the community!
Tagged:

Comments

• edited January 2013
    I am a newcomer to body-mod but ill be using a scalpel to make the incision, have everything sterilised with rubbing alcohol and a single stitch across the incision, plasters and daily cleaning, I have stitched myself up before so I'm fine with that :) thanks guys!
  • you really do need a propper bioproofing. parylene-c ,ptfe, medical-grade silicones. everything with unknown purity/quality is a pretty high risk, especially in your fingertips.

those magnets you found probably are neodym. just like most magnets used for implanting. the bioproofing is far more important, because if it fails, you will regret it.
  • Are these not too big for fingertips? And is the temporary sugre, just the stuff you can get on amazon in white black and colour?, thanks for the reply!
  • edited January 2013
    I think what I might do, is get a few more of these magnets, bioproof them with gold
    (Electrolysis) and then a coating of sugru or the stuff PLE or PLC that's used medically too, these will be implanted above my spine, all the way down, 4 inches apart the nerves there should make things quite... Sensational, i guess it would work even better than fingertips! It seems dangerous but as long as the cuts aren't too deep it should be fine, any comments?
  • gold coating is not really that bioproof. sugru isn't perfect either.
    your guess about the spine is a bit wrong . there hardly are any nerve endings around your spine afaik. so implanting magnets there will do pretty much nothing.
  • I'm sure there are, they come out in between vertebrae I think, ill have to look into it I guess!
  • @Johnnydubuf Try gluing some magnets to your spine for a day and see if you get a sensation. It won't be as strong as if it was implanted, but it will at least give you an idea of whether it is viable or not.

Hell, I'll try it too and let you know.
  • This will not work. A nerve is not synonymous with a sensory neuron. Beyond this, the nerves your speaking about are deeper than you'd think. Most surgeons fear working around the spine... nick a DRG and your not going to be a happy camper. When a magnet in the finger moves... the movement is detected by a mechanoreceptor, which converts this mechanical signal into the electrochemical signals of neurons. So a magnet near a nerve won't do anything... it has to be near specialized receptors. One CAN stimulate the body of nerves, but not passively. You need an electric input such as a TENS unit.
  • Finally got around to doing the spine thing. Day 1 was a fail because I super glued them on and they fell off during the day. Day 2 I used several strips of high tac duct tape and stuck it on my spine with the magnets underneath. I had some placed on either side of the vertebrae and some placed in between vertebrae on either side to see if there was a difference.

Overall there was no sensation, although bringing an electric hair clipper near the middle of my back did create a sensation that caused me to arch my back a little (kind of like what happens when you imagine something sharp slowly moving toward the space between your shoulder blades). That affect was psychological most likely.

I had a hard time keeping the magnet against the skin in some parts of my back just because normal movement would cause sections of the tape to come up in spots and the magnets would just stick to the tape. When I was doing the experiment with the hair clippers, one such area would make a noticeable buzz when the clippers approached. This also depended on how I was standing, but the buzzing magnet caused the un-adhered section of tape to buzz with it. 

This could be useful.