Q/A type poll for long-term magnet users

Basically, I'd like to check in with those of you who've had your magnets at least a year. My focus is on the sensing aspects but don't let that stop you if you're geared for lifting. This is for my personal curiosity (also in prep for my own implants) but after editing this may come off like in prep for a blog post or something, which it isn't.

1) For baseline purposes, what type and/or shape of magnet(s) are you running and how long have you had it/them - axial tube, diametric tube, disc/cylinder, ball, matrix, etc.?
1b) If rocking multiple types, ignoring placement, which do like more and why?
1c) Has this preference changed over time?
2) Have you noticed any change in your ability to sense over the long-term? More sensitive overall or to certain fields, less, now registers only as background noise, etc.?
3) What annoys you most about your setup?
4) What do you absolutely love that you wish others could experience?
5) If you went back in time, anything you'd definitely change? Placement, type of magnet, not do it, something with the procedure?
5b) If yes, what did you do, what would you change, and why?
6) Any cool stories? Anything unexpected, bizarre, funny, or even sad happen because of your magnet(s)?

Comments

• 1) For baseline purposes, what type and/or shape of magnet(s) are you running and how long have you had it/them - axial tube, diametric tube, disc/cylinder, ball, matrix, etc.?

3mm x 6mm cylinder, 48G, parylene coated

I had it from December 2015 - June 2022 and had it removed despite it not failing as it got too annoying in relation to my hobbies.

2) Have you noticed any change in your ability to sense over the long-term? More sensitive overall or to certain fields, less, now registers only as background noise, etc.?

It was most sensitive during the first year, I'd guess, when I could feel the motor from my electric toothbrush from a foot or so away. It never really stopped being sensitive, but eventually I could only feel that field from 6 inches or so instead of a foot or so.

It was apparently placed too much over the bone, so would get painful whenever there was pressure on the fingertip. Since I like to lift heavy weights, it became very annoying- I would have to keep that finger uninvolved from dumbbells/barbells/plates as much as possible, and as I got fatigued and with heavier weights that got harder and harder to maintain.

Also, for the entire time I had it, sometimes it would just start aching randomly for a few days for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Sensing fields is novel, and fun. Lifting small objects and weirding people out is better.

5) If you went back in time, anything you'd definitely change? Placement, type of magnet, not do it, something with the procedure?
    5b) If yes, what did you do, what would you change, and why?

I would probably go for something smaller, placed more to the side in that finger.

6) Any cool stories? Anything unexpected, bizarre, funny, or even sad happen because of your magnet(s)?

Accidentally putting my laptop to sleep repeatedly while programming because the lid-closed magnet sensor is right next to left tab sucked, but on purpose sneakily putting co-workers computers to sleep by sliding a finger near their left tab button was fun once or twice.

• 1) For baseline purposes, what type and/or shape of magnet(s) are you running and how long have you had it/them - axial tube, diametric tube, disc/cylinder, ball, matrix, etc.?

I'll have them for 10 years in September. 2 magnets, in the ring and index fingers of the left hand. Not sure which type they are. They're from Steve Haworth and he implanted them.

I sense less now, especially in one of the 2. Not sure if it's the magnet itself or my sensitivity. But they seem to lift less too, although they are sensing magnets, not lifting ones.

Nothing, placement is perfect, on the side of the finger pads. No pain at all, even when gripping stuff or weightlifting.

Sensing the magnetic fields of big motors. Or the buzz felt in the fingers when crossing an anti-theft system in shops. Not all of them make the magnets react though.

No, the procedure was great, little pain. Steve was awesome in explaining everything he did.

It always intrigues people when I can lift objects with them: small coins, pins, paperclips, nails.... I could also tell my SIL that the anti-theft barriers of her shop were inactive when I entered the shop as I didn't feel the buzz as usual.

• Thank you both.

There appears to be a general lack of people keeping them in over 1 or 2 years, or at least nobody with them kept in for a longer period seems to talk much about them much past that initial honeymoon stage. Probably old hat at this point, but it's nice to hear the longer perspective.

Mine is a parylene-coated neodymium N48-N52 Gauss rating cylinder. It's about 6mm x 3 mm. It was implanted in January 2020.

I had a run-in with a big magnet a year ago, which pulled my implant closer to the surface of my skin. (It was a big escape room magnet and I stupidly let it yank on mine to freak out my friends.) I think this damaged the coating because it's maybe 75% as powerful as it used to be. I can still pick up bottle caps, but I can't pick up my car keys anymore. Similarly, my field detection ability has reduced. But I want to add that I'm very used to the "fifth sense" now. I think that my brain has learned to tune out irrelevant information from it. For example, there's a small magnet in my tablet case. I used to notice each time I held my tablet. Now, I don't, although the feeling is still the same. I just don't notice it anymore - like background music.

My setup was perfect prior to the escape room incident. Now, it's a little awkward, and tends to itch if it gets nudged out of place, but I only have myself to blame for that. I went to Brian Decker and he did an amazing job. My friend went to Haworth, and Haworth inserted the magnet too close to his fingerpad. It had to be removed. So I recommend Decker. I'll go back to him if I need a replacement.

Interacting with the invisible. I can feel the electricity in my vacuum cord when I turn it on. I can feel microwaves pulsing when they heat up my food. I am always reminded of things around me I can't see, which is so incredibly cool to get from a tiny rock in my finger.

No. If I was to get a new magnet, I'd choose one with a modern coating. Parylene is prone to cracking. But I had the best experience possible in 2020.

It's so easy to play pranks. I love telling people that if they rub their hands together fast enough, they can make static electricity and paperclips will stick to them. Of course they believe me when they see me do it. Magnet implants are so obscure that even incredibly smart, accomplished people believe me.

• Yo, dont know if this is till relavent I have had my magnet for over 5 years now. I'm looking at getting it replaced just due to safety although nothing is wrong with it. when I had it implanted it was the second strongest at the time and I wish I had an N52. The type is a N4X I cant remember which strength coated in silicone by cyberise.me. For 5 or 6 years Its become a part of me. something that I know and something that I have integrated into just normality. It isnt every day that I think about it or notice it because of the placement on my ring finger, but its one of those things I would miss if I didnt have it. Had it implanted by a local implanter and they did it really well, even put a stitch in it and its healed to the point where I can barely tell its there, almost no scar.

• In case you're still looking for answers/opinions:

1) For baseline purposes, what type and/or shape of magnet(s) are you running and how long have you had it/them - axial tube, diametric tube, disc/cylinder, ball, matrix, etc.?

1mm by 3mm disc (sense52 from cyberise.me)

Long term, over the several years I've had it, it (seems to have) become weaker.

When I first got it, I would sometimes accidentally put pressure on it (e.g while carrying something) which would be a bit painful. But I quickly got used to it and haven't had any issues with it since.

The way it becomes a separate sense. I often describe it as the feeling is the same thing to touch as taste is to smell (kinda related but also separate)

Nope, completely satisfied. Had it done at a local body modification shop and they knew what they were doing.

The first time I used it to sense magnetic fields without even thinking about it, because it just felt so natural to sense magnetism. It was honestly a life changing moment.