Are there any issues with multiple magnet implants near each other?

So I'm looking into getting my first more advanced body mods (Currently just have ink and piercings, the most painful being the palm tats I need to get around to touching up soon) and am considering two xG3 v1 magnet implants above each eye angled with the eyebrow so they could be used for sensing and mounting near frameless glasses, depending on if they run into issues that close together I may have to opt for above and below on each eye or something but I'm wondering if anyone knows if their would be issues.

Comments

• Mounting things to your body with implanted magnets is not really viable because it pinches the skin in between and causes tissue necrosis.
  • @Satur9 said:
    Mounting things to your body with implanted magnets is not really viable because it pinches the skin in between and causes tissue necrosis.

Yeah I'm not talking long term mounting but more the lenses from glasses having some metal mounts added to them so you can wear them attached to the magnets.

If tissue necrosis comes up as an issue doing that then surely that's a major risk just using them to pick something up.

• I assume for holding up your glasses you're going to want to wear them for more than 10 minutes at a time, which will present an issue. Picking objects up normally occurs over just a few seconds.

You may be able to get wider flat magnets installed and make very wide metal mounting plates on the glasses to distribute the crushing force over a wider area. They're going to need to be as light as you can possibly make them though, and they might look a little ridiculous.
  • I mean I'm not attached to a particular design,
    Assuming from what you're saying I'ma need something a bit more custom in terms of the magnets than the dangerous things injectable ones though so that'll be fun.

Any idea how to calculate magnet/lens plate sizes/weights required to make the force a non issue?

I'm sure the lenses can be iterated on til something that looks good enough once the magnets are installed.

• edited August 2021
    I'm not sure exactly how much pinching force your skin can withstand for more than 8 hours without necrosis. I would imagine it's very little, something less than 1kpa (0.1N/cm²).

If you want to calculate the pull force of a magnet to ferromagnetic steel you could use a calculator like this:
    https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Here's some good info on pinch forces do you can get a good idea of scales for common actions
    https://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jour/04/41/2/Smaby.html

Good luck, it doesn't seem very likely to work.
  • @Satur9 said:
    I'm not sure exactly how much pinching force your skin can withstand for more than 8 hours without necrosis. I would imagine it's very little, something less than 1kpa (0.1N/cm²).

If you want to calculate the pull force of a magnet to ferromagnetic steel you could use a calculator like this:
    https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Here's some good info on pinch forces do you can get a good idea of scales for common actions
    https://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jour/04/41/2/Smaby.html

Good luck, it doesn't seem very likely to work.

8 hours seems excessive, I'm thinking the upper end would be maybe 2-3 hours for what I'd want since I'm not likely to be exposed to that much direct sunlight outside extremely rare bits of work on my car and even then I'd probably need my eyes clear of shades for that stuff, the idea is mostly a fashion piece and I'm not against using extremely unwieldy custom magnets if that helps dissipate the force (like I'd willingly go for some sorta custom arched ones the length of the eyebrow under each brow if that would work) I'm not great with understanding how magnets work kinda like icp which is a decent part of why I'm looking for advice amongst people who may have some idea and are less likely to be against extreme body mods, sorry for the slow reply been kinda busy with work being an essential worker (nightfill) and covid having a new outbreak over here people have been panic buying like they did a year ago and the store I work at has been desperate for people to work to keep up with things.

As I understand force in general the larger the area force is applied along the less force is put on any one point yes? (like a high heel being lethal with far less force than a standard shoe due to the point it applies pressure through) so worst case some absurd magnets around the eyes somewhere that are like a third of a circle sorta shape and moderately thick would mitigate a bit of the risk if my understanding is at all right (which if it's not then I would greatly appreciate correction.