"General Values" in Grinding

edited February 2019 in Announcements

I'm posting an altered version of this from another thread. I think it's important to give a very loose "values statement." We as a community share certain basic values and these values have functions. People often seem surprised when the tone of discussion jumps from "how can we help you" to "GTFO." We're a damn accepting group of people. We're very tolerant; however, there are some behaviors which are not accepted. Many are related to how we treat others. For more info on that check out the code of conduct thread. We went for a very long time with a far shorter code.. it was just don't be a dickhead. We've grown in numbers and so we finally had to actually define "dickhead," just to avoid any confusion. But being a dickhead isn't the only way to get banned or excluded from the community. The thing is, everything is open to discussion. Nothing is sacred. We aren't afraid to have our most basic assumptions questioned. The values I'm going to discuss aren't about being a better person. You don't have to believe in them, but if you're going to float here you are expected to demonstrate these qualities.

1. Do at least as much as you talk: Transporters and FTL drives.. even life extension.. Most of us ARE interested in what may manifest 100, 1000, or 10,000 years from now. It's fun to speculate. But that's not what we're here to do. Grinding is doing. Grinding is now. Grinding is a verb. An LED implant may be crude low-tech bullshit. The reason we're interested in doing such things is because it's a step in the right direction. I don't care about magnet implants. The reason I've spent years obsessing over it is because if we can't get a damn magnet implanted without failure it isn't worth even bringing up BCI and the like. GRINDING IS DOING.

2. Grinding is repeatable, reproducible, measurable, and open. You think crystals will charge your Chakras? Good for you! But unless you're able to give a repeatable, reproducible way of measuring this? You're full of shit as far as I'm concerned. You've discovered a nootropic that's "just like limitless?" Good for you! But if you're not willing to share your methods, findings, and mechanism? You're wasting my time. Purely speculative discussions don't belong here.

3. Grinders demonstrate due diligence. Sure, we don't all have cutting lasers and DaVinci robots to perform surgery for us. Because what we're doing is generally superficial and small, we can get away with "cutting corners." But this is only acceptable when it's due to the inability to do better. Single use disposable sterile scalpels are inexpensive and easily purchased from Amazon and the like. If you're using an exacto knife, you're unnecessarily increasing risk and doing things half ass. Cleaning your tools with alcohol isn't good enough. If you don't know why, then you shouldn't be doing the procedure. We are a teaching community. You aren't expected to be an expert, but you are expected to have done the due diligence needed to be safe. We don't criticize a lack of knowledge but we do criticize someone doing something they lack the knowledge to do safely. We may do unsafe things, but we always make them as safe as they can be within reason.
    Yes, at one point we were using hot glue guns, exacto knives, and ice. But we've grown as a community and learned. The resources are available. There is no excuse to do things half ass. If you can't afford sterile equipment, then the "hack" you need is the patience to wait until you can. If you can't find the information you need to do something safely? Scientific literacy is the hack you need. Don't do things half ass. It isn't Grinding.

Comments