Trans dermal magnet implants?

I'm new at this. I don't have any implants or piercings yet. Here is what I understand and my idea.

The drawback of magnet implants is that they weaken over time and must be replaced.

Scar tissue created by implantation means magnets cannot be reimplanted in the same spot.

There is a kind of transdermal implant (usually they're just called dermal piercings, but I want to be precise in this context) which has an anchor inserted into the skin, and a threaded flange which sticks out above the surface. Different tops can be screwed into the anchor.

As far as I know, anchors are mostly only available in titanium. A quick search didn't turn up any plastic options. So a requirement for this would be to custom make the anchor

But then an N52 magnet could be fitted onto a threaded base and put into the anchor. It could then be replaced as soon as it begins to degrade.

This kind of implant would not be as practical on the hands. I was envisioning this for use on the tragus. Elsewhere on the face could also work. The advantage of the tragus is that you get two functionalities: detection of EM fields and wireless earbuds.

This raises another question. If the goal is to get a magnet on the tragus, why does it need to be an implant (trans or sub dermal) rather than a piercing? Could a piercing attached to a magnet provide the same functionality as an implant?

What are this forum's thoughts? I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something

Comments

• There is no reason for a magnet to weaken over the time frames we care about. If the magnet strength is decreasing your coating has failed and it's degrading.
  • An implant is much easier to heal then a transdermal as well. A percutaneous object will almost inevitably reject.
  • Furthermore, there's no reason to place a transdermal in the tragus. Just put a normal ring through it and glue a magnet to it. The thing is.. why? Neither will do anything for you at all unless you regularly rub your ears against everything.
  • @Cassox said:
    There is no reason for a magnet to weaken over the time frames we care about. If the magnet strength is decreasing your coating has failed and it's degrading.

Ah, that's what I'm missing. I had read about magnets degrading, but hadn't realized that well coated magnets wouldn't do that. Thanks for explaining that to me.

@Cassox said:
    Furthermore, there's no reason to place a transdermal in the tragus. Just put a normal ring through it and glue a magnet to it. The thing is.. why? Neither will do anything for you at all unless you regularly rub your ears against everything.

So I am interested in that because I had heard about the potential for making "wireless earbuds" by using a magnetic coil to vibrate the magnet in the tragus. I had seen a video of a guy who had done it several years back. I've read further since I asked the question last night, and realized that this technique is a lot more experimental than I had realized (and hasn't really been done effectively yet) and that a transdermal wouldn't work better to achieve that.

Thanks for helping me understand better

• Oh. In that case it very well might suit your purpose. I don't see why a normal tragus piercing with a magnet attached wouldn't work.
  • edited July 2020

Titanium has poor electrical conductivity (if you're gonna use it however), also magnetization. And it's probably not worth it taking ten times as much time to recover.
    I'd rather spend more money on a decent DT magnet than that.

• In the other hand, a piercing with well magnetization will probably tear your skin apart.

• I'm trying to make the implanted magnet in my tragus work as a wireless earbud, but I'm having difficulty. The area it's implanted in is soft and dampens sound transmission, and the mass of the xG3 is too great. Even with a special coil I made with a mu metal core being driven by an amp at more than 50W I still couldn't hear sounds clearly from more than 5cm from my ear.

I really like your earring idea. I'm going to try it out with a small clip-on version first and see how well the sound transmits. If it goes well I'll get a piercing there and use an ordinary stud earring with a tiny magnet mounted to it. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • > @AgainstHumanity64 said:
    > Titanium has poor electrical conductivity (if you're gonna use it however), also magnetization. And it's probably not worth it taking ten times as much time to recover.
    > I'd rather spend more money on a decent DT magnet than that.

What are you talking about? Titanium is paramagnetic. Why would it take longer to heal? The DT magnet isn't terribly capable. Why would you advise someone to use something you havent tried and clearly know nothing about?
  • I ended up using pros-aide to glue the magnet to the interior of my tragus. It worked about twice as well as the xG3 I have implanted (fidelity and range) but it still wasn't even 10% as good as dropping the magnet into my ear canal. I also have concerns that a stud earring in the tragus would cause irritation as the magnet vibrates.
  • Interesting! Nice work.
  • @Cassox said:
    There is no reason for a magnet to weaken (...)

I think what @HendryGeorge meant was magnets that were not heat treated after being magnetised. Those can degrade noticeably (...less than half the strength over a few years). However if you temper your magnet (bellow Curie point:) they loose strength (about 20%) straight up, but the remaining 80% is very consistent over time. I think it's called ageing, but I haven't read the literature about it for ... a while.

By the way, I was thinking about ear magnet as well, and I was wondering about Aamal's bioglass magnet in the helix. (There is enough scar tissue in my tragus:)

• Unfortunately, I don't think it would fit in a helix. The implant is 3mm wide by 14mm long
  • @Satur9 You are right! My antihelical fold was measured for this purpose back in the days, and the implant would hang out a bit even from there. Thank you for the correction!