Magnet Status

1789101113»

Comments

• I have some of those magnets on the way. I'll post a new thread when I get them and start testing!
  • @SimplyTom I am also ordering some and going to do some tests

• @Boi Yes thank you, I'm planning to buy from them. :)

• Always, test your magnet from SMM, before putting inside your body. My magnets are sitting in salt water with soup and after 4 days one of 10 magnets got rusty.

• I agree. And that's a very short period for them to start failing. All you need is a single pinhole and they'll fail.
  • I started a saline test on ten magnets and also had one fail within 24 hours. The failure was in tap water with iodized table salt. I also have some in salt water with dish detergent. Each magnet has a separate container so they don't interact with each other.
    I will keep an eye on them and note any more failures. @Cassox mentioned that he would not rely on one for implantation unless it survived three months in salt water. Seems like a good starting point.

• Yeah. If everyone who's playing around with testing these will send me data at the 3 month mark, I can do a meta-analysis with everyone's info. I've got 5 left going. They look pretty good under the microscope. The reason I've given up on TiN as a potential coating is that I don't think they're failing due to a failure in the coating. I really think it's something like a mismatch in coating and substrate and something else like a bi-metal corrosion effect. There are still a ton of M31's out there that are fine.. but I think the median failure is around 2 years.

• Im implanting in inder a month. Ill post results and my experience whit these magnet then
  • edited July 2018

@Cassox said:
    Yeah. If everyone who's playing around with testing these will send me data at the 3 month mark, I can do a meta-analysis with everyone's info. I've got 5 left going. They look pretty good under the microscope. The reason I've given up on TiN as a potential coating is that I don't think they're failing due to a failure in the coating. I really think it's something like a mismatch in coating and substrate and something else like a bi-metal corrosion effect. There are still a ton of M31's out there that are fine.. but I think the median failure is around 2 years.

You're correct Cassox, titanium coatings are difficult for many reasons excluding the manufacturing process with one serious consideration being galvanic corrosion. The bi-metal corrosion/galvanic corrosion can be reduced depending on the metals used, but if there is a strong anodic metal in contact with Ti or TiN which is a strong cathodic metal used in a saline solution then the anode will corrode. Since the anodic metal would be layered under the cathodic metal the coating will quickly fail, and as you have stated it only takes a hole a micron in diameter to make the implant reject.

Many manufacturers including SMM do a layers under their Ti/TiN coatings which are prime candidates for this corrosion. I'm currently looking into whether or not there is enough galvanic corrosion between titanium and the components in NdFeB to be concerned about.

Don't take my word for it, do your own research. Here's some links for those interested to get you started:
    http://www.npl.co.uk/upload/pdf/bimetallic_20071105114556.pdf
    https://galvanizeit.org/design-and-fabrication/design-considerations/dissimilar-metals-in-contact
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_series

• Is this even still a work in progress? It's nearly been three years, i'm not sure we can count on this one being completed...

• Well, the resin units so far have no fails that i know of and I'm considering producing a large volume for sale. I'm pricing out supplies etc now. I just sent out the last of the beta for this type.
  • Nice I hope to see them do well
  • @Pyro4571 said:
    I have reached out to my contacts in the medical world, we will see if they turn anything up. As for the other magnets, if we can get enough people interested, I could place the order. Are we sure that those are ok to implant without being encased in some sort of medical device?

Are you still looking for people to place the order? I'd really like 5-10 of those.

• Is the n52 neodymium magnet the strongest ?

• @MagnetMan said:
    Is the n52 neodymium magnet the strongest ?

no, I had a batch of n55, however, they failed during testing.

• I heard that there is not much noticeable difference after n52
  • That would make sense. I've spoken with tons of vendors. From what I understand, n52 basically means.. the best we can do. Some will end up actually being closer to n55. Others will be weaker. So basically they're saying AT LEAST n52.
  • @cassox Are you planning on setting up a way to purchase your magnets? I've seen a ton of interest on the forums. Maybe a shopify site?

• Shouldn't this post be updated to contain info about the xG3?

• If anyone can get the implantable magnet certified by FDA for implant then contact me
  • @gshpychka said:
    Shouldn't this post be updated to contain info about the xG3?

No, rather a new one should be made and this one should be locked or stop being necro´d. This particular thread was originally created to update the progress of a single experiment many years ago with an entirely different shape, size, and coating. Few people bother to read a thread this long already.

@ranjanabhishek089 said:
    If anyone can get the implantable magnet certified by FDA for implant then contact me

Yeah, i´ve got you in around 40 years.

• Hi, I am new to this but very curious. Where can I read about the benefits of magnet implants and what becomes possible once you get it? Thank you very much for your response. Just trying to catch up. I've been a human for too long.

• I'd encourage you to post a new thread. This one should probably be locked. @tekniklr your call. It's just an old thread and necro-ing it just makes things confusing. Not a bad question, just helps keep things neat.
  • Agreed, everything here regarding magnet status is so out of date that it’s more likely to be misleading than useful!

Please ask questions in new threads, or search to see if your questions have already been asked and answered by others. The benefits of magnets have been discussed at length in other threads.
This discussion has been closed.