NGF to create alternative implant location?

Hear me out biohackers. I'll try to make this quick and concise - I know fingertips are prime real estate for sensing magnets as they are extremely sensitive and are easily moved around to feel magnetic fields as desired. This is a great status quo and for most end users I have no issue with this.

Here's the problem - I'm very, VERY hard on my hands. I've already had two implants fail, one was an M31 which might have just been faulty and the other was a fine effort from Cassox that simply couldn't handle the stress I place on myself. I work a tough day job followed by heavy weight lifting and my recreation similarly includes activities that would put my fingertips at risk (insert dirty jokes here).

I miss having a magnet in, I've given up on the idea because failure seems inevitable until someone can perfect a tough metal coating process and all the names trying to advance the idea appear to agree that won't happen in the foreseeable future.

As an alternative, I wonder if NGF can be site injected elsewhere to produce a small but sensitive are sufficient for magnetic sense. I've done some studying but as to not muddy the waters I'll leave the post at this and I ask for your opinions on this or possible other ideas you might have. Anyone?

Edit - And I went and posted this into possibly the wrong forum by accident, I apologize. This was meant to go into the magnets category.

Comments

• I think Cassox is addressing this issue in the "This is what the new magnets are going to look like custom bionics." Basically he is working on making sorta magnet arrays so that there it a higher surface area to compensate for lower nerve density. Im pretty sure that is an accurate representation of his project, but I would go read that thread if I were you.

• I have experience with NGF. Right ring finger. Fucking platypus's. I definitely had greater overall sensation in that finger for about two years. Especially to painfully stimuli but pretty much all sensation.
  • If you're interested in this project, I would look into tests regarding sensitivity. Like, I was playing with two point descrimination etc. One person's subjective claim doesn't mean anything. Mine included.
  • Many many people get magnets placed on other locations and report great sensation. Such as the blade of the hand. And really, it doesn't take a special magnet. I am working to make some really cool ones that should work better there.. but a Haworth would work just fine.
  • edited May 2020

I've read that site injecting will make that area rather unpleasant for some time, many describe what sounds like almost a burning/tingling sensation. And I'm definitely keeping up with your patterned designs with interest and will continue to do so and they also seem a possible solution. I know NGF is spendy but I'd consider it worth it, many consider magnetic sense a novelty and I guess I do too but I feel like something is missing without it.

I worry about my hand in general, thinking about the blade area - I assume you mean the edge between the pinky and palm - it seems like I hammer fist things into place real quickly with it too often for that area to be viable. I'd similarly considered the the top of my forearm just behind the wrist, not sure muscle movement there could cause a problem? Most other areas I can think of that are sensitive seem like they'd be a little awkward to wave around trying to feel a field out haha.

Thank you for the input so far!

• edited June 2020

Alright, so for now I've gone ahead and stabbed myself with an xG3 and found a spot I think might work on the blade of my hand, I'll report how that progresses for anyone interested.

Still want to try a smaller disc or an array elsewhere in tandem with NGF but that'll be a bit of a wait as this heals and I see how it works out.

• > @Aeternaeon said:
    > Alright, so for now I've gone ahead and stabbed myself with an xG3 and found a spot I think might work on the blade of my hand, I'll report how that progresses for anyone interested.
    >
    > Still want to try a smaller disc or an array elsewhere in tandem with NGF but that'll be a bit of a wait as this heals and I see how it works out.

How's the xG3 going?
  • edited September 2020

Hey, haven't logged in for awhile. It's surprisingly pretty good! The magnet hasn't had any problems whatsoever and injecting was a breeze. Sensitivity isn't quite as good as the fingertip discs I've had in the past but it's still more than enough to feel things I know I should be able to feel. I may try NGF in the future with this set up but for now I can feel current running through appliances that draw around 750W and up, most power inverter systems, transformers, etc. and of course the usual magnetic sources. Even though it's a bigger magnet, I've got hams attached to my wrists and many days I forget it's even there. Overall I'm happy with the purchase and performance, though I'll continue keeping up with developments in the community for something even more sensitive and durable.

• I apologize if a double necro post is discouraged, but I felt the need to update on the xG3 for the sake of usable information moving forward.

This magnet seems to be an absolute winner if durability is a concern. I've had no loss in sensation in over a year despite continuing to be rough on my hands in work and recreation. No symptoms of coating failure either.

While the size, shape, and implant location aren't ideal for maximum sensitivity I would say this is the way to go for working hands concerned with failure.