Infra Red Vision

So I found an article in Chemistry World, basically scientist created a molecule that injected in to an eye allows to see near IR. What do you think about this mode? Would you be willing to try it?

Tagged:

Comments

• I'm into the effect but extremely not into the procedure that would grant the effect :shudder:

• I mean, that's some pretty good data there. And it's direct. It's not like they were like, hey we did this thing and so we think that this other thing will happen. They tested it well, too.

I'd wait a little bit longer for negative side effects to show up.

• I find it amusing how they made a disclaimer for us eccentrics who see something like this and immediately start wondering how we could replicate it.

Han also warns ‘biohackers’ who might try the technology themselves to wait until it is approved by regulators like the US Food and Drug Administration. ‘If we use it in human beings we’d want to prove it is safe,’ he says.

• It sounds like he wants it to happen but doesn't want to be held liable.
  • Yeah, it does actually now that you mention it. That's a very specific disclaimer to make.

• Anyone here familiar with nanoparticles got any idea as to how feasible this would be to replicate?

• Chironex and Glims are the only people I know who have been playing with related tech.
  • edited April 2019

Ah right, do they still come on here? Haven't seen them around in a while.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently I'm blind lol

• @Psyber said:
    Here's the paper for anyone who wants to read it. I gave it a shot but don't understand enough of the terminology unfortunately.

After reading it I was amazed by a fact that there is no side effects from the particle acting on retina.

• After reading it I was amazed by a fact that there is no side effects from the particle acting on retina.

Oh really? So it sounds a bit dodgy then? I guess it's too soon to really tell though regarding the existence of side effects. Would be interesting to see a follow-up on the mice further down the line to see if everything still looks okay and if any side effects have cropped up. Although a study using monkeys would be even better to see.

• Yeah, we're still here. We're just lazy turnips. Also, I commented in this thread the same day you said you don't see me around anymore. Geez, you stop yelling at people and they go soft.

My vote is :
    replication ease - high
    application ease - way low and probably stupid to do at home
    potential side effects - way to early to tell

• @glims said:
    Yeah, we're still here. We're just lazy turnips. Also, I commented in this thread the same day you said you don't see me around anymore. Geez, you stop yelling at people and they go soft.

Yeah, only noticed you'd just commented after I posted. Good to see you're still around though.

I know very little about nanoparticles but it does look like it's on the dodgier side of the spectrum as far as how safe DIYing it would be. Anything that requires injecting stuff into your eyeball probably has at least some risk involved I'd imagine.

I wonder if there'd be another less-invasive way to achieve the same effect though. Would be real neat if we could get infrared vision (or something close to it) without having to inject nanoparticles in your eye.

• Biology is weird that way. Big results require big alterations. Just to be clear, nobody stab their eyes please.

I looked into possibly using the delivery method we used for the ce6. It doesn't get to the right location.
  • That's a shame. I've always wondered though, how hard would it be to make yourself a tetrachromat? I've seen that in animal studies they've managed to convert completely colorblind (dichromatic) monkeys into trichromats--giving them full color vision using gene therapy--so I'm assuming if it's possible to go from two cones to three then surely it's also possible to go from three to four. Apparently, you go from seeing one million different colour shades to 100 million just by adding that extra cone which sounds pretty amazing.

• edited November 2019

Came back and had another look at the paper as I still think it's a very interesting idea. Nanoscience is far from a field of expertise for me so I don't fully understand all of it but I talked to a friend who studies nanophysics who said it seemed quite plausible and straightforward to replicate to him. If anyone wants to check it out then the full paper is linked earlier (the details of the method start on page 16).

From the study, it seems to be safe but can't know for sure as they only did it over 10 weeks. However, I read that to ensure it is completely biocompatible and to improve the brightness for human use, they are currently experimenting with using organic dyes instead of rare-earth elements which they think will improve the brightness and have fewer regulatory hurdles. So it looks like we will probably have more to go off soon then. I certainly hope so as having near infrared vision would be pretty damn cool.

• edited January 2020

I think its use in military/law enforcement animals is really cool. In all likelihood, it wouldn't matter much, but I wouldn't like a noticeable green tint on everything I saw. I know the video says it doesn't interfere with normal vision at all, but I would still like to know if it makes everyday things look different before I seriously considered such a procedure.

Like others said, at the moment it's best to wait and see what the long-term effects of something like this are.

Something you might be interested in -- the U.S. Army did an experiment with high doses of vitamin A2 that extended the vision of test subjects by about 20nm. It's not much, but given that you can get rid of your (very minimal) IR vision whenever you want, it seems like a better (but less effective) option to me. Plus, it's safer to do at home if you're really interested.

Would I get the injection? Probably not. In all likelihood I would never have a use for something like that. I'd prefer to use goggles than get a permanent procedure done.

• We've done this.
  • @Cassox
    What do you mean? Have you tested this or what?
  • @Cassox so what were result, were they documented, where?
    Would you mind sharing some info?

It's honestly hard to believe you did this, but if, the results whether good or not would be veery interesting.
  • @Pritchdex
    @Midoriya

"Something you might be interested in -- the U.S. Army did an experiment with high doses of vitamin A2 that extended the vision of test subjects by about 20nm. It's not much, but given that you can get rid of your (very minimal) IR vision whenever you want, it seems like a better (but less effective) option to me. Plus, it's safer to do at home if you're really interested."

This was the thing that Cass was referencing. It's the first project that he an I worked on together. It was crowdfunded by Microryza (now know as experiment.com, they were very new at the time)

Please search the backlogs of threads for A2 and NIR vision and you will find this project.