xG3 Injectable Biomagnet

edited May 2019 in Magnets

DT appears to have just dropped the first injectable biomagnet;

https://store.dangerousthings.com/product/xG3/

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited May 2019

I saw this.

It seems very large, 15x3mm is not friendly for finger-implant use. I am struggling to debate where I would even want an implant this large, knowing it needs sensitivity..

Does anybody have any good ideas of how to use this as a field-sensing magnet? visually, it's CHOCKED FULL of inert dead space..

When you take an m31 magnet, 1mm x 3mm disc , and you put a .5mm coating around it, you reduce it's magnetic density, versus non-magnetic material, down to like, 30%. Unacceptable.

I am terrified to do the math, if this thing has even more surface area.. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is explicitly going to be bad for field sensing, no?

Also, personal experience with V2 firefly would leave me to assume that a rod shaped implant in a high-traffic area with any appreciable nerve density, unless you wanted to NGF a new spot, might actually even be painful with day-to-day interactions..

These are just my own instant observations and thoughts, correct me if it's relevant to, please.

• I personally cannot see how it can be used, i don't know, maybe not for the same reason as a non incapsulated magnet.Gotta put my mind to work harder!

• I think that a great spot would be the blade of the hand.. the medial surface. People seem to get pretty good results there.
  • I mean, It seems like the use case is a lifting magnet, not a sensing one. I used a field strength calculator at 3mm distance and came up with 0.01lbs of pull force. You could lift a few paper clips or a screw with that. I agree with Cassox that the blade of the hand seems like a good fit.

I know many of us love our magnets primarily because of the sensing aspect. Some people (like my significant other) just care about the lifting capabilities and would rather have a reliable magnet that is slightly weaker as a result, instead of mucking about with coatings and failures and repeated procedures.
  • My guess is it was made this way so that RFID users would see a familiar method of implanting and try it out, injection may allow for less flexibility in terms of implant areas but it does streamline the procedure and is a lot less endearing for newcomers than a scalpel.

• I might try one of these out in time, waiting to hear feedback from the early adopters.

• What might we use instead for sensing?
  • Been waiting long for a magnet so I'm really doing my best not to make a rushed decision on buying this since it doesn't look like what I'm actually looking for (Finger sensing magnet). Super afraid I'll miss on a great opportunity tho.

• @MiaRoseElbo said:
    Been waiting long for a magnet so I'm really doing my best not to make a rushed decision on buying this since it doesn't look like what I'm actually looking for (Finger sensing magnet). Super afraid I'll miss on a great opportunity tho.

@MiaRoseElbo said:
    Been waiting long for a magnet so I'm really doing my best not to make a rushed decision on buying this since it doesn't look like what I'm actually looking for (Finger sensing magnet). Super afraid I'll miss on a great opportunity tho.

If this is a great opportunity, it will come again as it's in the profit holders best interest

• Someone used the xG3 as a tragus implant. It didn't reject and they are able to pick up sounds with it:

https://forum.dangerousthings.com/t/xg3-biomagnet-suggested-locations/3906/58