RFID Gun Safe

So I am currently helping a friend plan out an RFID accessible gun safe.

I think the best/simplest/cheapest route is to go with a LF 125khz chip, paired with the access controller that DT offers.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Tagged:

Comments

• Definitely that. You just need to be selective in your choice of door strike to prevent tampering. Also you might want it to be "normally open" so you can get in if you lose power.

I'm a huge fan of the HF. In this use case opening your gun safe up to phone communication doesn't seem necessary or wise.
  • @Satur9

@Satur9 said:
    I'm a huge fan of the HF. In this use case opening your gun safe up to phone communication doesn't seem necessary or wise.

Yes. And beyond that, the read range of LF is substantially longer, (a huge benefit if you need to access your safe in a hurry). You really don't want to be sitting there with a HF chip, trying to re-position your hand and struggling to get it to read. Considering that the antenna itself might be hidden behind a housing or cover of some sort, LF seems the best option.

• @trybalwolf
    Are you going to hardwire it, or use batteries? Also, the metal body of the safe would probably attenuate some of the field and reduce the read range. Since the safe will be stationary, you might want to situate the antenna off to the side on the wall or something.