Bacteria need help finding a species to buy

Where would be a good place to get rare bacteria other than Carolina and atcc looking for the bacteria Geobacter sulfurreducens?
Tagged:

Comments

• Electric producing bacteria
  • Do they not have what you're looking for or is there another reason you're looking elsewhere?
  • They don't have the specific bacteria
  • > @glims said:
    > Do they not have what you're looking for or is there another reason you're looking elsewhere?
  • What is it you're intending on doing with Geobacter sulfurreducens? They are extremophiles (I.E. it will be difficult for you to maintain the proper environment) who as you can tell from the name, reduce sulfur and other compounds into what they need to survive.

You mentioned something about them producing energy? I'll look into it, but off the top of my head if your objective is to generate energy this will be a very ineffective way of doing it as you'll likely put more electricity and money into providing an adequate environment than you'd get out of it.

• To modify it to produce more electricity and adapt to more environments to make it more efficient in other environments.
  • > @ThermalWinter said:
    > What is it you're intending on doing with Geobacter sulfurreducens? They are extremophiles (I.E. it will be difficult for you to maintain the proper environment) who as you can tell from the name, reduce sulfur and other compounds into what they need to survive.
    >
    > You mentioned something about them producing energy? I'll look into it, but off the top of my head if your objective is to generate energy this will be a very ineffective way of doing it as you'll likely put more electricity and money into providing an adequate environment than you'd get out of it.
  • When you're brainstorming a project like this, it's always important to ask yourself, why would the bacteria care about what you are doing? Then being extremeophiles isn't a bug, it's a feature, for them. Those bugs are features! Puns!

Anyway. We only use extremeopgiles in really weird cases where you are engineering something that you need to ensure will fail when it's in normal temp. This means that they are highly specific, and require a ridiculous set up to maintain. This makes them hard to get, and you may be underestimating the how hard it will be to keep them happy initially.

All that said, tapping bacteria for electrons is totally a thing. You can buy a soil battery kit online. They market it to school children.

Can you go more in depth on why you're attempting to reinvent this particular wheel?