temporary stick-on Nyodyme Magnet

edited February 2015 in Everything else
I found this the other day, might be a good resource for people who are interested in getting an implant but want to do a
trial run first. I havent tried them out yet so I cant say how effective it is... 

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi, I'm not sure if you saw the reddit thread about these, but I'm the guy from the comments that the seller agreed to send a sample to, so that I can compare it to my implant. 

I'll post an update here when I get them.
  • Cool. Do you already have a magnet? It would be great if we had an informed comparison between the two. 
  • edited November 2012
    yes, I have one of Steve Haworth's silicone coated discs in my left ring finger, I intend to put the stick on magnet on my right ring finger, so as to make it as similar as possible.
  • So what's the verdict? Any good?
  • Sadly I never received them. I don't know if the seller just forgot, they got lost in the post or it was a scam all along ....
  • I did a glue-on trial when I was deciding if I wanted to go ahead with implantation, I just super-glued a rare earth magnet from walmart or something to my fingernail. I couldn't definitely feel larger EM sources- microwaves, wall-warts, that sort of things. The sensation was pretty strong, but the range was very short. I'm not sure if an implanted magnet has any better range though.
  • I am waiting for some parylene coated magnets to be delivered so that I can experiment with them.  In the mean time, I have been experimenting with a neodymium iron boron magnet superglued to my finger.  This is by no means a controlled experiment so I would advise treating my results as anecdotal at best.  I am posting my results for the benefit of those who are considering a magnetic implant but who would like some reassurance that they would actually work before making the commitment.  I know I would have liked to have seen something like this posted somewhere, so I hope that my experience can help someone else.

The magnets that I used are 1/16 inch in diameter x 1/4 inch long and nickel coated, So they would corrode almost immediately if placed inside the body.  I have seen the results of removing a corroded magnet from a finger implant and I sure woudn't want to have to go through that.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT ANY SURGICAL PROCEDURE COMES WITH SOME RISK.  THE RESULTS POSTED HERE ARE FROM NON-SURGICAL EXPERIMENTATION ONLY AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS A RECOMMENDATION TO HAVE ANY SURGERY PERFORMED.  NO SUBSTANCE SHOULD EVER BE PLACED INSIDE THE BODY WITHOUT FIRST BEING PROPERLY COATED TO PREVENT CORROSION AND TO PROTECT THE SURROUNDING TISSUE FROM DAMAGE.  IF SUCH DAMAGE DOES OCCUR, THE IMPLANT MUST BE REMOVED TO PREVENT FURTHER HARM.  IF YOU DECIDE TO HAVE A MAGNET IMPLANTED, SEEK A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL TO PERFORM THE PROCEDURE AND BE PREPARED TO ACCEPT ALL RESPONSIBILITY IN THE EVENT THAT THINGS GO WRONG AS THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PERFORM SURGERY ON YOURSELF WITHOUT SOMEONE ELSE AROUND WHO WOULD BE ABLE TO ADMINISTER FIRST AID AND SEEK PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANCE IF REQUIRED.  THIS IS A DECISION THAT SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY.

Now that I've got the preliminaries out of the way, I can proceed to discuss my results.  Here are my observations so far.

My first attempt was to place the magnet on the adhesive portion of a bandage and wrap the whole thing around my finger so that the magnet was in contact with my skin but protected from the environment by the bandage.  This test proved to be less than ideal.  I tested the magnet sensitivity using an electric fan, various ferrous and non-ferrous metals, and other magnets.  I wasn't able to feel any difference around the fan motor and could barely feel the ferrous metals even when placing the bandaged area on the metal and slowly pulling away.  The other magnet was detectable, but it was difficult for me to get the magnet close enough to feel the pull without actually touching the magnet to the area, in which case I was unable to distinguish between magnetic sensitivity and normal touch sensation.  I left the magnet on my finger like this overnight and bought some superglue and liquid skin for my next test.

I reattached the magnet by first removing the bandage and cleaning the finger and the magnet with an alcohol wipe.  I could see an indentation in my finger where the magnet had been located.  This confirmed that the magnet had indeed been in contact with my skin during the previous tests.  After the alcohol evaporated I applied a thin line of superglue parallel to the indentation in my skin so that I could attach the magnet there.  I then carefully dropped the magnet in place while taking care not to touch the superglue with any of my other fingers.  The magnet was placed next to the indentation rather than inside it because I didn't want the skin pulling on the magnet when the indentation disappeared.  This way, the magnet was placed on the skin instead of "in" the skin, affording more freedom of movement to the magnet.  Once the magnet was firmly attached, I applied a thin layer of liquid skin over the entire area to give the magnet some additional support and to protect against accidentally knocking the magnet off.  It turned out that the liquid skin was not needed, as I will demonstrate later.

After everything dried, I was able to detect the other magnet and the ferrous metals, but I still was not able to feel any oscillating magnetic field from the fan motor.  As the liquid skin continued to dry, it stiffened the skin underneath it to the point where I could press in on the magnet and it would stay there until the fingertip popped out again a few seconds later.  Normal touch sensitivity was reduced in the area where I had applied the liquid skin.  This could have been due to the antiseptic and anesthetic compounds that were added to the liquid skin so I decided that I would repeat the tests after the anesthetic wore off.  I again wrapped my finger with a bandage, this time placing the pad of the bandage over the magnet and wrapping the bandage more loosely than the night before.  This reduced the sensitivity of the magnet, but I could still feel more than I had felt with the magnet merely placed in contact with the skin.

Later in the day, the liquid skin had begun to come loose around the edges so I removed the outer bandage and carefully peeled away most of the liquid skin, taking care not to pull off the magnet at the same time.  After this was finished, I repeated the tests one more time.  For the first time since starting the experiment, I was able to feel the vibrating field from the fan motor approximately 1/2 inch away from the fan housing.  it was faint, but the sensation was definitely different from the feeling I got from static magnetic forces.  I was encouraged because this was the first time I had ever been able to say that I definitely "felt" a magnetic field.  I continued to move my finger around the area into and out of the magnetic field experiencing the change in intensity as I did so.  I felt the most sensitivity near the poles of the magnet, which makes sense since that's the area where the magnetic flux density is greatest on a cylinder magnet.  I wrapped the site with a bandage overnight.

• ... continued from previous post

The next day, I applied another coat of liquid skin to the area because it was beginning to detach near the magnet.  I took care to only apply it near the magnet this time in order to avoid the loss of sensitivity I had experienced earlier.  Unfortunately, I was left with a very thick layer right next to the magnet, which caused a similar loss of sensitivity.  I decided to remove the magnet and start over.  After slowly peeling off the magnet a little at a time to avoid tearing the skin, I washed the hand and cleaned the area with another alcohol wipe.  I applied the superglue as before, but I got it on a larger area than I had wanted.  Then I dropped the magnet on and waited for the glue to dry.  I did not use any liquid skin this time since the previous magnet had lasted 1-1/2 days and was still firmly attached when I removed it.  After the glue dried it was even stiffer than the liquid skin had been.  A few quick tests showed that the sensitivity was not very good with all of this stiffness in the way, so I carefully removed the excess superglue.  This had to be done very slowly since it had bonded so well to the skin.  Eventually though, I managed to get most of the excess superglue off

My sensitivity to magnetic fields was much better than it had been up to this point.  I was able to detect ferrous metals without touching them and magnets from further away than before.  My sensitivity to the fan motor was good enough to allow me to map the shape of the magnetic field.  I had to orient my finger carefully though due to the separation of the poles of the magnet.  If I tried with the axis laid parallel to the fan, the sensation was much weaker than when I pointed the end of the magnet directly at the fan.  While this gave me the ability to detect the direction of the magnetic flux lines it also made it harder to detect a field overall.  Based on this admittedly anecdotal evidence, I would say that cylinder magnets similar to the ones I have been using would be better for detecting field direction but that disc magnets might be more sensitive to the actual presence of a magnetic field.  This is purely conjecture at this point since I have not experimented with gluing a disk magnet to my skin.  It makes me wish I had bought some though.

So far I have not been able to detect any magnetic fields surrouding a microwave oven.  I'm not sure if this is due to the particular microwave being used, the frequency of the microwaves, or something else completely.

• My instructable seems relevant to this thread.  http://www.instructables.com/id/Intro-to-Bio-hacking-The-trans-humanism-primer-/  Let me know what you think.  Respectful criticism and or corrections are welcome.