Oxygen Depletion training

What would be the benefits of oxygen depletion training, I live in North Carolina at about 1000ft above sea level I know this isn't low oxygen, but that's my point I want to get the benefits (if any) of low oxygen training but I don't live in a low oxygen environment. Are there any supplements that increase oxygen efficiency? Is there a training method I could use?

Comments

• I think your body will make more red blood cells to compensate if you live at a high altitude
  • If you want to practice restricted air intake, there are masks that you can use to restrict airflow and force your body to adapt to more efficiently utilize. Though I would highly suggest doing proper research into them.

Health hazards identified, such as death, are there, or something.

• Those masks are rediculous. They simply increase airway resistance. You could easily cobble together a device with pipes of different diameter. The smaller the pipe, the greater be the resistance. The nice thing about a project like this is that we can easily test the outcome. There are pulmonary function testers you can plug into a laptop. Want to collaborate after GF on this?
  • Look at the above link. It's a PFT. There are less expensive units, but you'd want one that graphs data that can be easily saved .
  • There are also a ton of things we could do that those masks don't because they are willing to increase risk. There are ways to blend gasses to achieve specific ratios. While the masks are resistance based, we could make something that drops the O2 similar to high altitudes. Also we could add things like flutter valves.. each breath has the airway cleaning effect of a cough without treating up your throat.
  • And there's always liquid that can be breathed.
  • The question is really, how intricate do we want to get?..

I think you could also start exploring into doing 'things' that change the way body processes oxygen itself, if you wanted to get in depth enough. Would it be worth it at all to actually go in and start trying to alter respiratory system function on the processing end, inside of the body, instead of controlling what goes into it? Or is that a whole other level of dangerous?

• There's information into oxygen depletion training gear, or altitude simulation equipment right here ( https://trainright.com/do-altitude-training-masks-work-for-endurance-athletes/ ) I have a friend who swears by the altitude training masks like the Official Training Mask, however the link regards a training box as the better idea due to the amount of time people train. Box (https://hypoxico.com/product/altitude-trainer-box/ )

• Underwater weight workouts while using light 5lb or 10 lb weights and a snorkel between holding breath in a pool? It would maintain an oxygen starvation by holding your breath and a bit of pressure. Gas masks use a mesh cotton and would turn into a water boarding mask.?

• > @Zerbula said:
    > The question is really, how intricate do we want to get?..
    >
    > I think you could also start exploring into doing 'things' that change the way body processes oxygen itself, if you wanted to get in depth enough. Would it be worth it at all to actually go in and start trying to alter respiratory system function on the processing end, inside of the body, instead of controlling what goes into it? Or is that a whole other level of dangerous?

This is something I would like to look into I have lived in areas that are near sea level and just want to see what I can do to increase o2 efficiency
  • Also update, I bought an o2 restriction mask and it didn't seem to restrict anything, I didn't feel like it worked at all
  • It sounds like your mask isn't working as intended, or it's not being used properly.

"I bought these weights, and lifting them isn't making me stronger." If you aren't feeling any resistance, you may have a defective mask.

It's also a form of adaptive training, and will take time for your body to adapt to it, too. These won't give you instant results, the same way a set of weights would not.

• > @Zerbula said:
    > It sounds like your mask isn't working as intended, or it's not being used properly.
    >
    > "I bought these weights, and lifting them isn't making me stronger." If you aren't feeling any resistance, you may have a defective mask.
    >
    > It's also a form of adaptive training, and will take time for your body to adapt to it, too. These won't give you instant results, the same way a set of weights would not.

Yea after taking it apart I think it's just too cheap of a design and the "restrictor"was sitting about a 1/4 inch off of the mask its self when it was supposed to be flush, I am gonna try and put a peice of rubber between it to fill the gap and cut the same holes to try and "fix" it

I'll update if it works
  • There is evidence that, for people who are hypoxemic, supplemental oxygen improves quality of life, exercise tolerance and even survival. Supplemental oxygen can also help relieve your symptoms. You may feel relief from shortness of breath, fatigue, dizziness and depression.