Vivokey Spark Implant Log

edited March 2019 in Procedures
Hey all!
Grabbed a spark from Dangerous Things and had my ER Tech friend implant this last Wednesday 3/6. Figured I'd keep a log of how it went and the healing process.

Prep: I used a 5% lidocaine topical patch (Lidoderm) for 3 hrs prior to implant. I also took 440mg of Naproxen for inflammation reduction. I wrapped around the implant site with contact on the palm of my hand under where the needle would go. I'm not convinced the bottom application did anything but hey. 15min prior to injection I washed off any lidocaine with a simple soap/water wash. An icepack was applied directly over the implant site. Finally the icepack was removed, I again washed the site. The chloraprep wipes were used to sterilize the area at site and about 4-5 inches around site as well.

Injection

We used an "aeseptic clothespin" to tent the skin, which was removed right after skin pierce. We had hemostats but they were pointy and likely to cause more problems then they alleviated. Following removal of the clothespin, my friend advanced the needle past the "pop" point and into the designated area for the implant. I had a brief sensation of 2/10 burning pain at the very end of the needle. Once advanced appx 2mm past where I wanted it to rest, she withdrew 1mm and depressed the plunger, withdrawing as the spark was pushed out by the plunger. Gauze applied after removal.

Post Care: We used the tegaderm dressing included in the kit, I put it on a little too early, and the bleeding wasn't fully controlled. I was hesitant to apply too much pressure over worry of dislodging or tumbling the implant. This resulted in about a nickel sized bleed through of the bandage. 12hrs later I removed the tegaderm, cleaned the area *around* the wound, and replaced with a new bandage. 36 hours later I switched to a simple band-aid.
Injection site at 36hrs post implant (https://i.imgur.com/tpGXds0.jpg)

Summary: Super easy, no complications, I was able to read the spark immediately after implanting and have had no issues to speak of yet!

I'll keep a running log of devices that work with the spark.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vqEjI6oNidhBhJd7-8BGrZECp--sQhva8v1ltT5clDw/edit?usp=drivesdk

Comments

• I got the Spark on the 27th of February.
    We don't use any stuff to numb my hand.

The only problem is my phone has sometimes troubles with the App - I can read the chip perfect with NFC Tools Pro and NXP Tag Info.

• > @Sandra said:
    > I got the Spark on the 27th of February.
    > We don't use any stuff to numb my hand.
    >
    > The only problem is my phone has sometimes troubles with the App - I can read the chip perfect with NFC Tools Pro and NXP Tag Info.

I'm having minimal problems so far with a Pixel XL, I occasionally have to do a second pass at it to find it. I've found the Vivokey app to occasionally fail to open my profile, though I'm not sure if it's a problem with my phone instead.
  • I have several chip implants (X2, flexNT, flexDF, xEM, xM1+, xBT, SIID, xIC, VivokeyFlex & VivokeySpark)

xIC is also a bit tricky to read with the phone.
    Vivokey Spark: the hand is a bit swollen, this happens the first time with 2 implants (also SIID - but I can read it now perfect)

• Hello, I'm from Spain. 5 days ago I implanted the Spark, all right ... now to wait to see its full potential: D

• I'm doing tests with different smartphones for reading the Spark:
    Huawei P9 Lite: read it quickly, instantly
    Samsung s8: it's hard to read, it takes a long time to read it
    Huawei P20 lite: it is difficult to read it enough, although it is faster than the Samsung s8

How are your readings?

• > @dsanzag said:
    > I'm doing tests with different smartphones for reading the Spark:
    > Huawei P9 Lite: read it quickly, instantly
    > Samsung s8: it's hard to read, it takes a long time to read it
    > Huawei P20 lite: it is difficult to read it enough, although it is faster than the Samsung s8
    >
    > How are your readings?

Sorry for the late reply.

I've had success with my Pixel XL, and a friend's iPhone8, Pixel 2, and Samsung s8.

On Android I've gotten NFC smartlock working reliably with an irritating bug. Each time I unlock the phone it pops up with a "select which app to open this with" of a choice of Vivokey app or NFC Tools. I've found leaving this set to prompt is easier to dismiss, if I select either it will open a browser with my Vivokey profile each time I unlock my phone.

The smartlock padlock is going strong. Currently working on a reader for signing in to Windows.

As for healing the brown discoloration over the injection scar has faded to now just looking like a freckle. No movement of the chip is noted, easily palpable and resting nicely.
  • edited August 2019

quick read - also through the protection case: samsung tablet active 2
    sometimes good, then a bit lomge: Samsung S8+

I got sometimes reading errors, because i have in the same hand an other high frequency chip.
    There was also a time, I run a software update - I wasn't able to read the spark anymore - after the enxt 2 udpdates it works perfect - this wa a problem from google.

• This: On Android I've gotten NFC smartlock working reliably with an irritating bug. Each time I unlock the phone it pops up with a "select which app to open this with" of a choice of Vivokey app or NFC Tools. I've found leaving this set to prompt is easier to dismiss, if I select either it will open a browser with my Vivokey profile each time I unlock my phone. <--work? because in my samsung a50 and s10+ don't work

• I found a new use for Spark 1, it is about being able to unlock the smartphone with the chip (no need for a fingerprint, passwords, or pattern) on android with the NFC Smartpasslock application, install it and ask you to read the nfc device, two Sometimes, once registered it asks you to mark the launcher always of smartpasslock, and once it is, you lock the mobile and when you try to unlock a padlock appears, you pass the chip and the smartphone is unlocked.
    I like it!!!
    ATTENTION:
    I’ve tried it with Samsung A50 and with Samsung Galaxy s10 + it costs a bit to read the chip, especially with the a50, and at first you get a scare because you think it won’t unlock but if it unlocks.
    There is an option in the app, which is paid (€ 0.67) that would be a security password, it may be an option.

• SmartPass Lock is a neat little app but it is not truly secure if that matters to you in a phone. Because it's just a draw over on the screen, it's possible to defeat it by very quickly accessing the phone settings during the time that it's not securing the phone in between attempts and remove it. Secure for the lay person? Yeah probably, truly secure? Definitely not.
  • @dsanzag said:
    I found a new use for Spark 1, it is about being able to unlock the smartphone with the chip (no need for a fingerprint, passwords, or pattern) on android with the NFC Smartpasslock application, install it and ask you to read the nfc device, two Sometimes, once registered it asks you to mark the launcher always of smartpasslock, and once it is, you lock the mobile and when you try to unlock a padlock appears, you pass the chip and the smartphone is unlocked.
    I like it!!!
    ATTENTION:
    I’ve tried it with Samsung A50 and with Samsung Galaxy s10 + it costs a bit to read the chip, especially with the a50, and at first you get a scare because you think it won’t unlock but if it unlocks.
    There is an option in the app, which is paid (€ 0.67) that would be a security password, it may be an option.

I have the App since 2017. First I didn't use a password and I had activated the automatic update - my phone started new and I wasn't able to lock in. My luck was I made some mistakes and I was able to enter the settings. It was so strange, because NFC was deactivated after the update and it wasn't possible to turn it on,...
    I was able to conifgurate the phone better, turned the update off, and bought also the password.
    I heard that with Android 10 you can't use the app anymore :( So I refuse als updates at the moment - I found it it is much cooler to unlock the phone with the implant.