Is there anything I'm forgeting?

Here I have my lido, bandage, isopropyl alcohol, and antibacterial cream. What I dont have on hand is my magnet(Steve hawthorn) and a sterile scalpel( bought one off Ebay for $4.20). I can't think of anything else that need atm moment.i plan to do the procedure in 2 weeks
Tagged:

Comments

• Bleach, chlorhexidine, sterile field, gloves, suture, forceps, saline, steristrips, needle, 3ml syringe, tourniquet.
  • What is the saline for
  • Also thinks for reminding me to get a tourniquet
  • Well, you don't want to touch the outside of the container of the magnet once you've scrubbed in.. it isnt sterile. So instead, you open it before and put it in a sterile cup of saline.. that way dust and microbes etc cant land on it.
  • Wouldn't isopropyl do the same thing
  • Well, isopropyl can soak into the silicone actually. I believe it can damage the surface as well but I'll double check. It will delay wound healing if the alcohol contacts the wound bed.
  • Wow thank you for telling me, that would have been an expensive mistake.
  • No, I'm wrong about it damaging. As long as you let it dry completely the swelling goes away. But it definitely soaks up a considerable amount of alcohol.
  • Thank you cassox for the information that you have given me
  • No sweat. Good luck!
  • I just thought, would anti bacterial soap be adequate or not
  • No way. It's worse than water actually if it's got triclosan. Triclosan kills a lot of harmless bacteria but doesn't touch the stuff that will harm you. It's just eliminating the helpful competition. Iodine is good and it's cheap. Chlorhexidine hcl is my preference.. many physicians though prefer iodine. It's a couple of dollars.
  • Take a look here.. http://augmentationlimitles.ipage.com/?page_id=296
    Like everything I work on its half done but should have something useful to you.
  • > @Cassox said:
    > Take a look here.. http://augmentationlimitles.ipage.com/?page_id=296
    > Like everything I work on its half done but should have something useful to you.
    Ok thanks once again, I do have some iodine that I could use
  • Yeah. The reason I prefer Chlorhexidine is because it has 12 hours of residual action. Iodine though is nice because you can't really miss a spot. It turns the whole area brown/red. It's pretty much a personal preference thing. In terms of washing your hands, a Chlorhexidine soap is imho essential. I mean, since you're working on you, the risk of blood borne pathogens is limited at best. Then next best would be to scrub them very well with a plain soap and then once dry, use an alcohol based hand sanitizer. It's better than nothing and definitely better then triclosan. I thought that "anti-bac" soaps were banned by the FDA? What does it list as its active ingredient?

• What are you using as a tourniquet? The best is specifically a finger tourniquet such as a tournicot ring, but another really good option is a penrose drain. The tighten down really well. I used to actually use silicone hair bands. The silicone is cool because they can even be autoclaved. The problem though is that if you put on a thin band like those too tightly you can actually get nerve damage. A thicker band is much better and not too tight. Tighter is definitely not better. Use the minimum pressure needed to prevent bleeding. Believe it or not, you can leave a surgical tourniquet on an arm for HOURS without permanent damage. I'm not advising this, but it is done. A surgical tourniquet is fantastic and it works at lower pressure. The thinner a band is, the more likely you'll damage someone.

• Guys why do you need bleach?

• You need to clean your work area. Bleach is a true chemical sterilant. Best thing out there for cleaning that doesnt melt you, give you cancer, or expire in a week.
  • Actually, you might want to read the link from above..
    http://augmentationlimitles.ipage.com/?page_id=296
  • Also, I just saw your pic kidchemist. How are you planning to use the antibacterial gel?
  • > @Cassox said:
    > Also, I just saw your pic kidchemist. How are you planning to use the antibacterial gel?

As after care
  • It's seldom beneficial. It's better to keep it clean and dry. It will heal much more quickly. Maceration often leads to failure.
  • > @Cassox said:
    > It's seldom beneficial. It's better to keep it clean and dry. It will heal much more quickly. Maceration often leads to failure.

I'll keep that in mind
  • Here is a few more items
  • How are you sterilizing?
  • Isopropyl alcohol
  • Alcohol disinfects only. It's alright for the magnet.. assumingyou haven't opened it up and played with it. But you should just buy sterile once time use stuff if you don't have an autoclave. You can autoclave using an instapot or a pressure cooker. I wouldn't.. but barbicide is supposed to work as well.
    Don't reuse these tools on anyone or you're going to spread blood borne pathogens. You know that cyberise.me sells an entire kit right?
  • Worst case scenario, soak your tools for 20 minutes in bleach and flush with distilled water.
  • So, gram negative bacteria form spores. It's like a nearly indestructible form. When in a suitable location they come out of the spore and reproduce. Alcohol doesnt do anything to a spore. Because you're taking about closing something up in your body, the spores of anaerobes get in and can cause tetanus, cellulitis, gangrene and whatnot. And these spores are ubiquitous.. they are everywhere. People get infections in surgical centers which use huge uv light sterilizers, hepatitis filters and clean with shit that can literally melt your face. It isn't overkill. I promise. You want sterile equipment.
  • Look up horror stories of people doing their own piercings badly. People die from this every year. It's no joke. And what you're doing is more advanced than a piercing.