Significance of Rabbit Brain Reanimation in Aldehyde-Stabilized Cryopreservation

edited January 2017 in Everything else
ATTN Cryobiologists:

Care to explain why the rabbit brain reanimination in the Cryobiology journal article entitled "Aldehyde-stabilized cryopreservation" received the media attention it did in early 2016?  Is it simply because of the new freezing technique?  From what I could gather, the organ never actually perished (in the sense that function discontinued at room temperature for an inordinate amount of time.)  In the case that the breakthrough is in the new freezing approach--well, that also seems like a bit of bad news since it implies that anyone who's been cryogenically preserved up until this discovery now has a brain considered to be in ruin.  

Am I interpreting this research correctly?

Comments

• It seems mostly to be a matter of improving research techniques for neurobiological research more than something that could be used for cryogenics.

"that also seems like a bit of bad news since it implies that anyone who's been cryogenically preserved up until this discovery now has a brain considered to be in ruin."

I think some sort of brain damage was probably inevitable from the current techniques.
  • K they can't reanimate shit. All the new technique does is let you thaw it out so you can look at the structure without it turning to goo. It's exciting in that normally brains turn to goo if you freeze them, then thaw them out. So yes anyone stupid enough to do cryonics currently will be goo when they're thawed. it's entirely a marketing ploy. And this only preserves structure. There's more to the brain than the vague shape. So you'd still be missing stuff and you still can't reanimate things.
  • And what do you think about the method of preservation of eggs before IVF?

Now cryobiologists are actively using verification techniques or quick frosts. The essence of vitrification is the use of high concentrations of cryoprotectant, thereby avoiding the formation of ice crystals - the main cause of intracellular damage, which was accompanied by "slow freezing." Figuratively speaking, the liquid inside the frozen object immediately becomes a “glass” and not a “crystal of ice”.

Regardless of the cryopreservation method, all frozen elements are stored in liquid nitrogen at a temperature of -196 ° C. This allows them to stop all biological processes for a very long time. In this way, it is possible to freeze embryos at the cleavage stage (1-4 days), blastocyst (embryos on the 5th day of development), eggs, sperm, testicular tissue during the biopsy. After defrosting, the survival rate of the biomaterial is very high (at least 90%).

Frozen material is stored in special "houses" - cryotopes. These are carriers specially developed for vitrification that allow for the most careful vitrification procedure.
    I know that the method is actively used not only for IVF but is also applicable in international surrogacy.

• edited February 2019

This is a very interesting topic.