New to the Community

edited December 2018 in Community

Hello all,

I'm new to the community! However I'm fascinated and would love to know more about it's conception and objectives (if there are unified shared objectives...by no means does there have to be). I'm currently reading Foucault's writing on Bio-power and I'm wondering to what extent has his writing influenced people here? If he even has?

I should say before hand, that I am a Masters student studying Medical Anthropology in London. My interests are primarily in the democratisation of science and the extraordinary forms in which people are challenging elitism in the bio-industries.
I do not want to overstep here or proceed to look into a community, without a general acceptance of my being here beforehand. While I understand it is hard to know 100% online that this is acceptable, for clarity I would like to make my presence known, say a quick hello and hopefully engage in interesting conversation.

Thank you!

Comments

• IDK I'm currently wary of brits after the samppa bbc incident, jk ( maybe a little bit serious) there aren't many unified objectives besides augmenting human bodies, The conception of it varies depending on who you ask the site has a set history but the movement doesn't yet, Steve Haworth Samppa and a few others all lay claim to being foundational to the movement but I and I think a good few others would disagree

• Thank you for your response. I can understand your being wary. Any institution or researcher that lays claim to understanding and "summing up" such a wide and varied movement feels unrealistic. It is definitely not my intention to do so, and I will keep in mind the fact that many have arrived to the community through multiple pathways with different intentions.
    Out of curiosity, what happened with the Samppa incident and the bbc?

• @Zwytechhacker said:
    IDK I'm currently wary of brits after the samppa bbc incident, jk ( maybe a little bit serious) there aren't many unified objectives besides augmenting human bodies, The conception of it varies depending on who you ask the site has a set history but the movement doesn't yet, Steve Haworth Samppa and a few others all lay claim to being foundational to the movement but I and I think a good few others would disagree

Thank you for your response. I can understand your being wary. Any institution or researcher that lays claim to understanding and "summing up" such a wide and varied movement feels unrealistic. It is definitely not my intention to do so, and I will keep in mind the fact that many have arrived to the community through multiple pathways with different intentions.
    Out of curiosity, what happened with the Samppa incident and the bbc?

• look it up they were trying to get him in trouble with the law

• Just out of curiosity, what are you looking to get out of your interaction with the forum? Did you plan to come and learn new things, engage with the community socially, or maybe acquire resources to engage in your own augmentations?

I came originally to learn some best practices, because I had already done some body mods without having found many online resources. So far I've learned plenty and feel that my personal goals align with those of the community, and the interests you mentioned. Free distribution of information/research seems to be an important goal to many here.
  • @Satur9 said:
    Just out of curiosity, what are you looking to get out of your interaction with the forum? Did you plan to come and learn new things, engage with the community socially, or maybe acquire resources to engage in your own augmentations?

I came originally to learn some best practices, because I had already done some body mods without having found many online resources. So far I've learned plenty and feel that my personal goals align with those of the community, and the interests you mentioned. Free distribution of information/research seems to be an important goal to many here.

Thanks for your comment.

I'm primarily looking to learn about the community and talk with those on the platform. I'm hugely interested in theories of the 'post-human' and the cyborg.
    For the importance of being honest, I am a Masters student studying medical anthropology, so I'm partially coming here out of academic interest. However, that is not to say it's not aligned with personal passions.

Am I able to know what lead you to body-mods/augmentation?
    I'm also open to the idea of augmentations on myself, once I learn more about the options available.

• I'm a Technologist by trade, so the transition from technology being part of my life to part of my body was an easy one.

I suppose the first stepping stone that lead me to this point was reading an article that referenced FM-2030, followed by some research about Transhumanism a few years ago. It seems (to me) that becoming a cyborg is the next logical step in human evolution.

I recommend you check out "Dangerous Things" if you haven't already. I learned many things from that site when I was first starting out. The founder is an activist of sorts for the biohacking community.
  • @Satur9 said:
    I'm a Technologist by trade, so the transition from technology being part of my life to part of my body was an easy one.

I suppose the first stepping stone that lead me to this point was reading an article that referenced FM-2030, followed by some research about Transhumanism a few years ago. It seems (to me) that becoming a cyborg is the next logical step in human evolution.

I recommend you check out "Dangerous Things" if you haven't already. I learned many things from that site when I was first starting out. The founder is an activist of sorts for the biohacking community.

Thanks so much for these pointers, will most definitely look at "Dangerous Things". Just had a read on FM-2030 also, all super super interesting.