Um. Does Transhumanism have a fascism problem?

2»

Comments

• @Frank said:

My hearing aids can stream music into my ears and let me hear Wi-Fi fields. Those aren't things a human body can do, but they've become part of what I can do. I'm not more or less human but differently human.

This absolutely makes you more than human, because you have capabilities that are beyond what is biologically possible built in. Sure, anyone else can do it with the proper piece of technology, but that doesn't change the fact that you now have in-built capabilities that an unmodified human does not.

• edited August 2018

@glims said:

@IvoTheSquire said:

I’m going to say that this is a ridiculously broad definition of “selfish”. Other people may not even want magnets in their fingers and being able to pick up magnetic fields. They might just want you to use that power to, say, find the wires inside the walls during renovation for example.

Selfish in the most biological sense. In the most literal sense. About the self. It's not ridiculously broad. It's what the word means. I know it's unpleasant to hear, but that's how words work. You getting better at you job (for instance, feeling electrical wires) isn't really a non selfish act. It's about you getting better about your job. And do you pass this on to your offspring? Can you share your abilities? Nerp.

OK. If that's how you would put it...

Babies learning how to walk isn't really a non-selfish act. It's about the baby learning how to walk. Can the baby pass on how to walk to other babies? Can babies share the ability to walk? Nerp.

Writing a book by yourself isn't really a non-selfish act. It's about you enjoying what you've written. And do you pass on this enjoyment to your offspring? Can you share the enjoyment? Nerp.

Eating a good meal by yourself isn't really a non-selfish act. It's about you enjoying what you're eating. And do you pass on this enjoyment to your offspring? Can you share the enjoyment? Nerp.

Breathing isn't really a non-selfish act. It's about you keeping yourself comfortable and alive with oxygen. And do you breath for your offspring to keep them alive and comfortable? Can you share this "being alive" and comfort? Nerp.

Being alive isn't really a non-selfish act. It's about you being alive. And can you be alive for your offspring? Can you share your life with a dead person? Nerp.

Exercising isn’t really a non-selfish act. It’s about you being healthy. Can you pass on your fitness to your offspring? Can you share your fitness to others? Nerp.

You being motivated to do anything isn't really a non-selfish act. It's about you activating the dopaminergic pathway that also rewards you (since that's also the reward pathway). Can you pass on the activation to your offspring? Can you share the activation with other people? Nerp.

This is what I mean by "broad". If the above all sounds ridiculous that's because that's how ridiculous that argument is. By your definition anything that does not immediately benefit other people is automatically "selfish" just due to how our brains work: our motivation pathway and reward pathway are the SAME pathway: we literally cannot be motivated to do anything without rewarding ourselves.

If your argument is that transhumanism is as selfish as writing a book or exercising than I don't see how that's meaningful or helpful to the discussion.

Besides, "can I pass on the ability to my offspring", "can I share my abilities"? I can teach others how to put magnet implants into their fingers. I can use my ability for other people so that functionally they would be the same as having my ability to pick up wires in walls, ie they would know where the wires are. This is what this forum is for, isn't it? To share and discuss the new and exciting stuff that we discovered? To share what we have learnt?

• I feel that science is the fallback point which the grinding community relies on to provide a natural immunity to fascism. Scientific progress of the kind that we are engaging in is an inherently collectivist endeavor. Any out-group that we encounter is invited to join us in our communal progress. If someone does not identify with Transhumanism, it's likely they'll still indirectly benefit from the fruits of our labors.

BirdMachine and Cassox have the right of it. Peer review is a reliable way to spot a supremacist, eugenicist, or a fascist. Follow that up with some public shaming when their assertions prove false, and a significant portion of the problem may be taken care of.