Ways to help kill pain.

I am looking for a way to help relieve the pain of a magnet implant, I am planning on putting my hand in cold water for 15-20 minutes and taking a couple advil. Any advice is apricated.

Tagged:

Comments

• I wouldn't be too concerned. I had mine done a month ago and the pain became dull by the second day and only barely noticeable by the fifth. I'd avoid the cold water bath because it will make your skin contract, which probably isn't helping it heal. Definitely stick with the Advil (NSAID) because it will help reduce the swelling. Resting with your hand above your heart will help with the throbbing. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
  • Are you talking about during the procedure or after?
  • @Cassox Are you talking about during the procedure or after?

I am talking about during the procedure. Lidocaine is not an option for me.

• Well, how much pain are you wanting to dull/how high is your tolerance? When you tourniquet your finger, that will numb it a bit as well, so between that and a good icing it's doable without anything else, just rather unpleasant.

• @countseven said:
    Well, how much pain are you wanting to dull/how high is your tolerance? When you tourniquet your finger, that will numb it a bit as well, so between that and a good icing it's doable without anything else, just rather unpleasant.

I have done one rfid implant and on nfc without any pain killing and I was planning on putting my hand in isopropyl alcohol cooled down to around -5c and keeping my hand in it for about 5-10 min.

• Why cant you use lidocaine? Topical works well and can be bought otc. Is it an allergy?
  • @cassox I am in college housing and would prefer not to get evicted. I have permission to do implants but lidocaine is on a list of prohibited substances. How well does topical work and is it better than an ice bath.

• I hope I'm not being unreasonable here, but I was fine without any pain management. You already have some experience with implantation. As long as you can manage any anxiety beforehand you should be fine.
  • Are you not concerned with the sanitation of doing implants in college housing?

• edited November 2018

@Cheradenine said:
    Are you not concerned with the sanitation of doing implants in college housing?

I have set up a clean area covered in plastic and sealed surgical towels that I set down after scrubbing everything down with clchlorhexidine and iso

• K im only gonna say this once. If you can't get lidocaine, you shouldn't be doing implant surgery. Ice is not a viable replacement. For fucks sake, get some lido. I honestly do not understand why this is even a topic that keeps coming up. You are doing surgery. Follow standard procedure or don't do it.

• @chironex while I would say that for the most part you should use lido different people have different pain tolerances and can do it without any pain killers or lido.

• Doesn't matter. You're doing surgery, on yourself. Follow the fucking protocol, or don't do it. Isn't negotiable.

• edited December 2018

@chironex As a general rule, yes, I think lidocaine is definitely a must-have. However, at the same time, it also must be acknowledged that people do indeed have very different pain tolerances. I did my magnet implant without lido or ice or anything to act as an anesthetic and had no issues. I have quite a high pain tolerance so found the process and pain levels to be perfectly tolerable.

If you have done similar things before and know that you have a high tolerance then I think it is alright not use anesthetic. But if it's your first time doing it and you're not 100% sure how much pain you can handle then you should definitely use it. Much better safe than sorry after all. Wouldn't want to mess it up just because you were a cheapskate and decided to skimp on lidocaine.

I don't really see your logic regarding being in college housing, however. I can't think of any way that they would even know you had lidocaine without you telling them yourself. People keep substances far more prohibited than lidocaine in their rooms with no problem so I highly doubt you'd have any issues.

Also, a warning: you mentioned you've done a rfid and a nfc before. I would not use those as your reference point as they are practically painless and nothing compared to a magnet implant.

• what about places like uk where all Anesthetics are controlled