*Need advice/suggestions* A procedure to cure ulcerative colitis

Hello Friends and Forum Members,
I have a friend who is severely suffering from ulcerative colitis, he has been in and out of hospitals all year. Doctors have been no help and just keep prescribing stronger and stronger painkillers. I am doing some side research on ways to ease/remove his pain. If anyone has any leads or ideas on procedures that could be done, please let me know. Any information is helpful. Thanks

Comments

• I would start by doing as much research into how ulcerative colitis works and what interactions is has with current treatment to see if there is a common thing that they focus on. I am also interested in this so I may write up some of my finding if you want a second person working on this I would be on board!

• @DWArf said:
    I would start by doing as much research into how ulcerative colitis works and what interactions is has with current treatment to see if there is a common thing that they focus on. I am also interested in this so I may write up some of my finding if you want a second person working on this I would be on board!

Absolutely! This type of research could help many people in the future, any findings or help is absolutely appreciated.

• Rezzing an old thread but I have ulcerative colitis and am also an immunologist so I have a bit of perspective on this. I'm on a very expensive biologic medication called infliximab which surpasses the pro-inflammatory cytokine TNF-Alpha and reduces my symptoms to a manageable level and is in no way a cure. It cost millions of dollars to develop and costs me 23k every two months, most of which is covered by insurance. The only real cure for ulcerative colitis is to remove your colon. Luckily there's many other treatments which have varying degrees of success. The antidepressant Wellbutrin, for example, has been shown to reduce inflammation in ulcerative colitis patients.
    But for non pharmaceutical, less expensive options, fecal microbiome transplants have been shown to work and are within the realm of practicality for us DIYers. There's a great article covering Dr.Josiah Zayner of The Odin performing a fecal transplant on himself to cure his indeterminate IBS/IBD. You just need broad spectrum antibiotics, and a healthy friend willing to donate their feces. "Healthy" is the important part here because you'll need to find a way to test the donor for various diseases such as hepatitis or C.diff, HIV, etc that could turn the fecal transplant deadly. Worth a read if you're interested: https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/4/11581994/fmt-fecal-matter-transplant-josiah-zayner-microbiome-ibs-c-diff