Size of Implants

Anyone know the standard size for the glass tubes rfid implants are mounted in? I've looked online and can't find any decent source. I assume it's a standard size as they all look the same / have the same injector? Also, if anyone knows a good source on empty glass capsules please give me a shout. Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Most of the rfid/nfc glass implants I've seen are 2mm diameter x 12mm long. The only other size I've seen is 3mm x 13mm but only seen one chip in that format (MF1S50). No idea where to get the glass capsules tho, sorry.

• You can get borosilicate tubes on Amazon even.
  • It's easy to close one end with a blue torch. I'm not sure really how they close both ends without heat damaging the contents.
  • maybe with a hot iron or a heating laser?

• edited August 2018

Did some looking into things since we talked about this last time.

You can weld glass with a laser but not any of the lasers that you usually see.
    The issue is heat like @Cassox mentioned, and lasers generally make a lot of heat.

When you start to get into specialized lasers you can find ones that are pulsed which allows processing at significantly lower temperatures.

I've used Nanosecond and Picosecond industrial lasers. Pico is pretty good at cold processing and you can even cut glass with it but its not enough for welding. You need a Femtosecond laser to deal with the amount of power required without generating the heat buildup.

Here is a paper if you want to read something technical.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/latj.201600021
    It mentions the laser supplier Trumpf, I've worked with them before, it's not really something you can run in your house, might even be zoning laws preventing it.

Here is an article has some interesting points in it starting around page 4 Cylindrical Glass Encapsulation (CGE) Technology:
    http://www.implantable-device.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Valtronic-Glass-Encapsulation-White-Paper.pdf?x48812

It would be more practical to someone outside of an industrial setting to get glass caps for the tube and seal it with a bio-compatible adhesive (if you can find one) than to attempt welding. It would probably be a cylinder of glass, like putting a cork in a wine bottle.

• Hmm. I've sealed tubes with resin before. I just used resin. I wonder if a glass cylinder sealed in with resin would make it stronger? I think filling the entire tube with resin definitely does.
  • @Cassox that idea sounds the best, just fill the enitre tube with resin. Its easy and gives the strength as well. Just don't power the device until the resin is fully cured.
  • @Cassox said:
    Hmm. I've sealed tubes with resin before. I just used resin. I wonder if a glass cylinder sealed in with resin would make it stronger? I think filling the entire tube with resin definitely does.

This is interesting but I am concerned about a decrease in reading distance

• It's possible. It'd be worth a try just to find out. You might be able to increase the range actually.. you might source a tube with a thinner wall and use a coil antennae. The thing around still be stronger because it's solid, but the turns would be under less glass.
  • https://www.wweek.com/news/2018/08/15/a-growing-number-of-oregonians-love-technology-so-much-they-make-it-part-of-their-bodies/

This is a link to a kind of shitty article about James Newman. I helped him coat what was essentially a large key fob type rfid circuit. It was really big. When I coated it, I had to make a rather thick resin layer but from what he's told me I don't think the range was significantly different from when it was in the fob. I have no numbers for you or anything but I don't think it'll make much difference.