Sucessful impant of a $2.80 868 Byte NTAG216 animal NFC chip

Am really interested to see how MultiPassSecure and VivoKey turn out, but didn't feel like waiting. The FlexNF/FlexDF implants are very cool but have a more involved implant procedure. Other than those it seems the best current gen implants are based on the NTAG216.

I found some very cheap Star NTAG216 animal chips for $2.80 USD each ($28/10). There were some on alibaba for cheaper, but with higher minimum orders (although some sellers would send a sample for potentially less)
https://aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-2-12-12mm-NFC-Animal-Microchip-RFID-Syringe-Ntag216-Glass-Tag-Injector-with-sterile-package/32869446685.html

It was my first DIY implant, made sure to have the right supplies and get the process down. Seemed to go very well although it's still only been a few hours. I can scan it consistently and very quickly, but only because I spent a while working out where my phone's antenna is and the best orientation.

Pros

• 13.56MHz, phone readable
  • Relatively large at 868 Bytes
  • Comes preloaded in syringe (you can get them separate also)
    Cons

• Not intended for human use

• Parylene coated

I have some spares, am happy to send them for cost+shipping. Unless you live in NZ it's probably cheaper you buy direct https://www.nzpost.co.nz/tools/rate-finder/sending-internationally/parcels

Happy to answer questions/take pics also.

Disclaimer: I can't endorse DIYing or implanting anything not intended for humans

Comments

• hello

This site is a bit confusing... they write: Animal Chip: 13,56 MHz - you can register it at Tasso.
    What ??? The Animal Chips works with 134 khz - Low Frequency, and they have only a number on it - you can't program them. People who didn't know that, would chip their pets with this chip, and they can't add it to Tasso.

• I agree, pretty confusing. They also said bits instead of bytes.
    The packets are labelled as FDX-B compliant like in the video, but you're right that does sound wrong.
    I don't think this model is listed on the manufacturer's site rfidstar-security.com/

• Maybe they can sell it a bit cheaper, when they label it with animal-id I can't find it on his homepage too - I was just looking around.
    I have the flexNT - it is amazing. I got all my implants done by a piercer or bodymod.

• edited July 2018

I was looking into the same thing as you and found something that might be better.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/X10-HF-13-56MHz-NFC-Chip-Glass-Transponder-Ntag216-Microchip-Syringe-Kit-2x12mm/32872791728.html?

Now that I double check it is actually the same seller as you found.

The 'better' part is that it says Parylene is optional. I contacted the seller directly and they will indeed make it without Parylene. Also they are willing to make them without polypropylene caps so it ends up being just the bioglass. To top it off they said they will sell a lot of 2 instead of 10.

How is you implant doing now? I am thinking of buying these soon.

• Wow if I knew the parylene was optional I definitely would've gone that way! It was nice having spares, I had one to play with/test scan/show people, and I managed to screw up and desteralize another by being clumsy. The problem is it's tempting to put more in now I have them haha

Implant still working great. Not getting a huge amount of use but that's no fault of the product itself. It healed nicely, there's a tiny faint scar where the needle went in, like a freckle (probably better technique/aftercare could minimize this?)

Very happy with my purchase and implant.

• Good to hear all is well after 2 months I'll buy some and work up the guts to implant one. Based on the size of the needle it seems a freckle is quite reasonable. How was the pain? Don't think I will be able to find someone to help me implant here so will probably try DIY as well.

• I bought some lidocaine but didn't get round to applying it. It was pretty doable, really not that bad. I did go very slowly until the needle was fully in though.
    Would recommend having someone else there to tent the skin for you with one glove on so they can also handle non sterile things. Also a good plan to get both the cyberise and dangerous things PDFs printed and read them a whole bunch of times.
  • edited July 2018

Great post and very interesting. Always wondered whats the actual difference between an 100$ xNT and a 3$ ntag216...damn, tempted now "to beat the system".
    Wonder if they have a "xEM" version or if the 125kHz version is UID changeable...
    Can someone please explain the difference between coatings?

• edited July 2018

@rodanco 'Beating the system' is a 'Dangerous Thing' to do...
    The mentality seems a bit off on the comment. Someone has spent time and money to test and make sure the well know tags are as safe as possible, they cost more but there is value to the work put in.

If you only look to save cash eventually you're gonna stick something inside yourself and catch something nasty.

A $3 tag is a sweet deal but can you check that the coating is actually what the supplier says it is? Can you check if any toxic additives have been used? Do you know that the syringe is sterile and acceptable for injection and not just a sawed off steel tube from the hardware store?

The low cost is possible because the factories pump out the product as fast as possible while cutting costs as much as possible, all sorts of fun things happen due to this. I import (non Biohacking related) products from China as part of my job and have visited factories myself. One supplier had really great service but at the factory they stored parts in shallow sorting bins on a dirt floor of a garage... there was dust and a couple bugs in the bins. Products were manually cut to size by workers without gloves and thrown into a garbage bin when finished. Products are shipped with machining oil and metal chips still on them even though we asked them to be fully cleaned. For my products its fine and won't effect us but what happens at the cheap RF tag factory? Dunno.

That said I will also note that I just bought $2 tags for testing a fair amount of contact with a supplier... so don't take it as condoning, just keep in mind where the added cost comes from and be careful if you choose to try something untested.

• edited July 2018

@Nama
    Thanks for the reply. Nobody disregarded the time and money of firms like DT added to the product and the quality control of certain standards. Heck yes, I'll even buy from them when deciding to implant. But why? Because I actually see they're better than others microchips (actually a video here in detail and under microscope would be a brilliant idea), because the price should reflect more experienced in manufacturing, any proof of the factories where DT chips are built, that the quality is superior? No. Because the product is tested by many and already there is a comunity around it. Does it make the price fair? We don't know.- and no, it's not about saving some money.
    By beating the system I mean, having especially for this comunity, open sourcing. You want a Proxmark...you can buy it made...or do it yourself and buy boards and components from here and here and here or even go to your local electrician store and search for the parts.
    I'm the type of guy, screw the electrical company, I'll buy solar panels, or do them myself if I can.
    Hope I made sence

• And @Nama, you're a little hypocritical mate after reading this

"I wouldn't be surprised if the tags from Dangerous Things are from the same 'cheap ass' factory."

Or now you bought one and feel you need to defend the product just so buyers regret won't affect you?

• @rodanco not sure what the hypocritical part is. Also not sure how I could regret buying
    something I didn't buy…

anyways cheers mate didn't mean no harm, just trying to think how the price could be justified because I doubt the money is in the actual electronics.
  • edited July 2018

@Nama
    Maybe I misunderstood, in that case I apologize.

Same here! That's why I'm looking into alternatives because I doubt DT will come out and say "we order from there with this manufacturing process and they actually cost 5$/piece...hahaha
    But for that we need to do some detective work...

• @rodanco I think we have the same opinion and ideas. Sorry if I came off as an obnoxious dick, I often am but didn't intend it this time.

If you are interested in testing things then check out the supplier @bentpins linked to. They agreed to do a custom order for me, coating free and only 2 pcs. They for some reason also gave a cheaper price than the advertised lot of 10.‥ but what can you expect for $2?

I was thinking more what the actual physical differences in chips could be. Bioglass is a brand name. The cheap chips say Bioglass but chances are its a substitution.
  • I know google exists, but can I ask, what's parylene, and how is it worse than other coatings?
    Also what are your experiences with outsourcing this kind of implant procedure (Relatively low risk procedures if done in sterile environment and by someone with experience) ?
    How do you find professionals (Nurses, etc) that are fine with performing them?
  • I> @InnovateFascinate said:
    > How do you find professionals (Nurses, etc) that are fine with performing them?

I'll answer my own question, I read a little and you don't.
  • @Nama
    No worries mate. We all have our days, haha.
    Yeah, so DT I think it's the most secure, and Amal seems like a cool dude but even if he's Steve Jobs, don't want another Apple and that monopol of services and dependency of client/device/application and ridiculous prices of medium standard technology, assembled in China... Just because "it's Apple" or "just because it's DT". Hope I make sence.
    Thanks for the tip. So far I'm like 3 weeks old in the world of Rfid (I'm a person with a lot of new hobbies) so need to start learning some more before I take bigger steps..heck, started to learn Linux just to connect some dots.
    Saw many chips on Ali, even with changeable UID (flat, not capsules unfortunately) and plenty types of capsules. Personally I want to order and experiment and do a resin ring with 2X ntag216 and 2 standard 125kHz (square ring with a chip on each side). A lot more versatile then a 30$ one plus a lot more satisfying. Not a complicated process, takes som work though...
    Btw, in case of reader I'm in a huge dilemma, a white Chinese Rd/wr, a 60$ Proxmark Easy or put like 300€ and get the latest Proxmark3 Rdv 4.0. Each of the with benefits..user friendly and mobility / cheap to start and to learn with for a professional tool / great design, improved performance and versatility.In a big dilemma here, any imput is appreciated.

• @rodanco was the $60 reader/writer the one that looked exactly like the one discontinued by DT cause it could brick tags?

Had the same dilemma when my sister wanted to clone her photocopy card onto a tag. We gave up.

Do you want to clone an existing RF tag or just change the id in general? There might be more options if you don't care about cloning a specific type of card.

I went with NFC 13.56mhz this time, then I can just write to it with my phone.
  • Interesting. Someone just sent me an image that's from Dangerous things showing lead content in rfids ordered from Alibaba. Somewhere in here I was saying, why not? What evidence do you have that it's any different? Well there you go. Maybe someone can find a link. Anyhow, after Defcon I'll repeat these tests. In fact, if like to try it out on a bunch of different ones.
  • @Cassox I think this should be it. https://forum.dangerousthings.com/t/tests-weve-performed-on-our-x-series-tags/474

Do you know how that lead test is done? My tags arrived and if possible I could do tests and gather further information.

This is the perfect example where the testing justifies the cost. @rodanco this was the kinda thing I was trying to get at before: "A $3 tag is a sweet deal but can you check that the coating is actually what the supplier says it is? Can you check if any toxic additives have been used?". So now including @bentpins at least 3 of us have animal tags available and we should run tests to help inform others.

• I found Sodium rhodizonate is a lead indicator
  • edited August 2018

This photo is from my supplier...
    They clearly state no lead no toxins so we wait and see if it is true.
    grounds for a refund at least if it really does test positive

• Yeah. Amal is going to run some better tests. Usually it's either sodium rhodizonate or sodium sulfide. The thing is, it was an extended test period.. a few months I believe. From what I know of rhodizonate it has a week half life or so. In theory, it could be something like something precipitating out of solution rather then a positive result. Also, from what I understand the coloration is slightly off on the pic. When adjusted for contrast it made it look more blue. It's actually a grey/green color. That would be the sulfide. The worry is that the glass is leaded instead of borosilicate.
  • I have some reagents on the way. I'll going to test every type I have. I also checked with Cyberise. He stated that his suppliers were not in China and that he had similar tests performed. He's also going to perform further tests just to make sure.
  • Does someone want to volunteer to head up a meta-analysis project? We have a shit load of people doing saline tests.. now we have heavy metal tests.. It would really help if someone wanted to put these all in one document and run some stats.
  • @Cassox how is this document? I modified the existing implant data sheet. If it's ok I'll make a new thread for it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dI-lIRtO8pztolKHZ2yqdxUDZ0kg6bIjfdNNkxUR50w/edit?usp=sharing

• Hey, that looks great! The magnet section can we change so that instead of the lead tests listed it has different strengths of saline?
  • @Cassox made some changes, that what you were thinking of? The listed strengths are based off what I read people using in other posts.