24 hours later, and still numb??

So I did my implantation yesterday. First time with lido. I injected .5ml on one side, then .5ml on the other. However, the second side was far too shallow, and wasn't getting numb, so I used another . 5ml on the second. I then waited a few, and added 1ml to the fingertip away from the injection site. I had some difficulty with the tourniquet as well, so spent a good deal of time tugging on the rubber band. Anyway, it numbed up fine, and the procedure went cleanly, but 24 hours have passed and the entire ring finger is still quite numb.
Looking around online, it seems that that is a thing that happens with lidocaine and nerve blocks from time to time. Apparently it almost always goes away on its own and without any permanent effect , although the reports of how long it takes vary. Wondered if anyone around here had any knowledge or experience on the effect. Thanks.

Comments

• Question: what do you mean by "quite numb"? Is it less numb (which it should be) than before?

• Yes. I can feel, for instance, a light touch on the fingertip now, but things are still less sensitive than normal, and in some spots a light touch can't be felt. The finger is pretty tingly and lightly pins-and-needles.

I'm pretty convinced it's nothing permanent, but I have less certainty of what kind of timescale, nor how to avoid it in the future.
  • Yeah. Don't sweat it. It happens from time to time. People get pretty terrified but as of yet I haven't heard of anyone slicing through a nerve.. How long did you have the tourniquet on?

• Ohh, something like 40 minutes. I didn't have any ominous discoloration, or anything. I'm really not too worried, but it's inconvenient in the meantime, so wanted to seek out any kind of timetable.

• edited July 2018
    u probably left it on way to long
  • @Rytcd I had a similar situation(wasn’t as long though.) I think it might be amplified by nerve damage but eventually it goes away and the nerves eventually grow back.
  • Send a update
  • Still a bit tingly, I'm afraid. Likely something to do with the tourniquet. It has gone down, but not all the way.
  • What did you use as a tourniquet? Where did you inject?
  • Rubber band from a dust mask. Either side of the base of the finger, then the tip, going off Chironex's video.

• edited July 2018
    Oh shit. That's not good. For forty minutes? The reason tourniquets are wide is to distribute the pressure. If you tied a string like that around your finger for that long, you clearly have nerve damage. I'm sorry.
  • Ok. After defcon I'll work on the implant page on Auglim more. Tourniquets can really fuck you up if done wrong. They aren't even included in most first aid kits any longer. People caused more problems with them then they solved. There are a number of safe options. You can get a tournicot on Amazon for 8 bucks. String is not ok.
  • I used hair ties a couple days ago for an hour long procedure. Every 20 minutes I cut one off and bled for a minute just to keep circulation going. I was worried about bruising at the end but after about 30 minutes everything was back to normal. Hair ties were definitely the way to go (for me at least). Bleeding the whole time would’ve made things a lot more difficult.

• There are some silicone hair ties that are ok, but with the normal type you're still risking nerve damage. I'm not trying to say everyone who ever puts a rubber band on their finger is going to get damage, but just be conscious of how tight you get it. Use the minimal pressure you can to prevent bleeding. I used to use castration bands. They're really thick and spread the pressure over a larger area. They work well on small fingers but I wouldn't use them on even a normal sized hand.