SMM and others - an analysis

2»

Comments

• These are a bit different. If you look in the blog, there are pics where they look like 3x1mm units that are glowing. Those are the ones that are too brittle. These ones have a different layer over the top.
  • Why would anyone want to have a glowing magnet?
    Seems just pointless to me
  • Update on my 20 magnet batch.

Its about 4-5days soaking in strong salt soap water and only 1 magnet has started rusting
  • Meh. It's aesthetics. People clearly like the fireflies. These are significantly brighter.. albeit for a short period or under a particular lighting.
  • I mean, you could say the same thing about anything really? Why do you want a tattoo? Why do you want a magnet? Seems pointless..
  • Im not trying to be mean.
    But those things are seperate,

I can tell you many reasons why somebody would like to have a magnet,
    I can also tell you why i would like to have a fireflie
    But i can not think about why would somebody want glowing freaking magnet:D
    I mean magnet whitout glowing stuff around it will perform better in lifting and sensing.
    And glob of that glowing stuff alone will do its job better, glowing i mean.
    There is no apparent reason to have glowing magnet, if somebody thinks that is cool somehow then i think those people are out of their minds or something.

Better to keep those things seperate i think.
    There are as many opinions as there are people.
    Sorry for my english, its not my first language
  • @Cassox said:

That's a fascinating idea, what compound are you using to induce phosphorescence?

• edited July 2018

I've started my testing of the SMM magnets which consistes of the following:
    48 Magnets, 48 vials, 500ml of distilled water, 10g of salt, 1-2g of odorless/dyeless detergent.
    I'm going to try to do daily checks and plot the failures onto a graph to find the date where a 95% confidence is reached.

• edited July 2018
    Awesome. Those are going to be great numbers. So I'm reading this as a 2 percent solution then?
  • Yeah- I'm using two percent. I wanted to remain pretty close to saline but bumped it up a tad.

• @dieselpwr said:

There is no apparent reason to have glowing magnet, if somebody thinks that is cool somehow then i think those people are out of their minds or something.

Better to keep those things seperate i think.
    There are as many opinions as there are people.
    Sorry for my english, its not my first language

I would think one "apparent reason" for the glowing magnet is simply to test out the glowing implant as well as have a magnet implant. Kill two stones with one bird or something like that.

Unless I missed it, I haven't heard of anyone actually implanting any of the glow in the dark implant ideas that were going around here a while back. I'd be very interested in hearing how well the glow shows up from one of these glowing magnets if/when someone tries one.

My own experiments with the glow in the dark powder as a tattoo is now 5 months old and the area I tattooed still glows when charged up and in complete (or nearly complete) darkness. I think the glowing magnets would be pretty cool and should be a lot more noticeable but I might just be out of my mind.

• @Birdhandz said:
    Unless I missed it, I haven't heard of anyone actually implanting any of the glow in the dark implant ideas that were going around here a while back. I'd be very interested in hearing how well the glow shows up from one of these glowing magnets if/when someone tries one.

did you miss firefly tattoos? they've been around for a while and I know several people who have them.

they are neat, but the glow is so dim that I'm waiting for something brighter.

• @tekniklr said:

@Birdhandz said:

did you miss firefly tattoos? they've been around for a while and I know several people who have them.

they are neat, but the glow is so dim that I'm waiting for something brighter.

I have been watching the Firefly Tattoos thread but I was talking about The Lantern Implant and other things using the glow in the dark powder. Needing to charge them up would make them less desirable than the real Firefly Tattoos but I'm still curious about how bright they would be when implanted and how long one charge would last. The powder alone (not implanted) is pretty bright and the glow is still visible hours after being charged and it is fairly cheap and not radioactive. My own glow in the dark tattoo is completely invisible in normal light and only noticeable when freshly charged and in a very dark area. The glow doesn't last very long either but I assume the small amount of powder actually in the skin and the fact that it is spread over a fairly large area are the main causes of the lack of brightness and short duration of the glow but having more of the powder in one small spot should do a lot better. Until someone actually implants one of the glowing magnets or the borosilicate tubes and reports back we won't really know.

• edited August 2018

SMM 48 Magnet Test:
    D1: 5 Failures (A4, B7, C0, C1, C8)
    D2-D7: No additional failures
    D8: 1 Failure (D0)
    I think I'll post an update every couple weeks or so.