SuperMagnetMan magnet N55 TiN implant



  • @trroyyc, it is not the end of the world but you might have gnarly surgery in your future. Where are you getting your information that neodymium won't hurt you?
    My magnet removal [LINK]

  • @ThermalWinter What methods do you recommend for testing the coating of magnets?
  • I was thinking the same thing. Where do people get this shit? That post should be like a grinder meme. Water in your lithium powered brain implant? Not the end of the world.
  • edited July 2018

    @McSTUFF Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is good for you, but being a rare earth metal it isn't really bioactive. It does however have some interactions, and you shouldn't go around trying to absorb neodymium, but as long as you're safe about the magnet, you have nothing to worry about.

    If it DOES start to break down, you'll notice the sensitivity loss, and you should promptly get it removed. My point is neodymium isn't toxic enough to cause significant issues if it does start to break down. Again, you shouldn't let it break down significantly, but it's not the end of the world. We're all adults here and relatively smart. If it starts to break down, take it out, but it breaking down isn't a death sentence.

    If I am wrong, please correct me, but I've looked for studies of neodymium toxicity and all I can find is that 1.) it can be an effective anticoagulant (which you should take into account if you're on any blood thinners, and if so THEN it might be dangerous if neodymium leeches into your blood), 2.) inhaled neodymium dust can cause embolisms in the lungs (which isn't a worry if you're not crushing up your magnet and breathing the fumes), and 3.) it can cause liver damage if it accumulates.

    From that, the only real worry is if you're on blood thinners (and in that case, then this comment does not apply to you as mixing anticoagulants can kill you, DON'T DO THAT), or if you have significant breakdown of multiple magnets over an extended period of time. But if you keep an eye on your magnet and notice a loss of sensitivity, it is most likely from coating breakdown and neodymium leeching into your body. So get that removed.

    TL;DR: be smart and remove your magnet if it starts to break down, but it won't kill you if it does.

    EDIT: I'm interested as to what you mean by having a "pretty gnarly surgery in your future". Based on my understanding of large foreign objects in the human body, at most your body will calcify the magnet. Removing that wouldn't be a pretty gnarly surgery. It's not like the neodymium will make your arm fall off lol.

  • When my magnet when it, it was a quick slip of a scalpel, gloved hands pushed the magnet in, a single stitch closed it up. Nice and neat.
    When it came out, there was a lot more blood. The mass surrounding my magnet was easily ten times the volume of the magnet. Maybe it was not gnarly in comparison to what you are used to, but compared to the insertion, it was a lot more intense. Not to mention I had to feel someone digging out my fingertip with a scalpel. Not how I wanted to spend my Saturday.
    I'll level with you, most of the reason I pounced on your comment was your devil-may-care phrasing with regards to implants. If you give people a false sense of security when it comes to grinding, it will lead to bad stories. This is minor surgery at best. We keep each other safe, that's the point of our community, which you are a part of. Erring on the side of caution is what keeps us safe. We're far from risk-averse but we don't get foolish.

  • @McSTUFF I get you. I didn't mean to come off as "let it degrade inside of you," that was not my intention and I apologize for that. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that was not fun for you in the least, and was still an invasive surgery. I just don't think that we should irrationally fear what we don't have to. With that said, I completely understand your point and you raise a truth I hadn't really thought about, of the bad reputation we would give ourselves if we didn't try our best to practice the most cautious methods for safety reasons.

    However, I do believe we can and should acknowledge the relative lack of danger in neodymium while also practicing strict and cautious safety methods. Painting neodymium out to be a big toxic metal only hurts us by giving others the idea that we're doing something insanely dangerous and risky to our body, making us look immature and short sighted because we're implanting such a "dangerous metal" into ourselves despite the perceived risks that people will assume comes with the implant they believe is so dangerous. But I agree now that we should still practice ultimate safety regardless of how dangerous neodymium is. No hard feelings.

  • Have you considered the nickel content? Or that these magnets are alloys of NeFeB, not pure neodymium? Do you know what method was used to isolate the neodymium? Are you at all concerned about the levels of Uranium and thorium in monazite? How about lack of research regarding systemic toxicity and carcinogenicity? Nah, your preliminary scan of Wikipedia gave you all the assumptions you need.
  • The absolute funniest part? How the link you left discussed Neodymium oxide as a potential mutagen. We'll it's a good thing that oxides don't forget when you expose Ne to water.. oh wait.
  • edited July 2018
    Edited - ok, here's the thing. Making assertions like this is dangerous. Do you honestly believe you've done enough due diligence to make the claim that these magnets aren't all that bad in the body? It's ok to be wrong. It's especially ok to be wrong and acknowledge it. The same of claims like this, particularly when spoken with such confidence, is that people who don't know any better might act on what you're saying. This community is built on integrity. The majority of us are schmoes doing our best. But someone could totally tell me some bullshit about electronic engineering that's actually dangerous and false and I wouldn't know any better. It's ok to question whether NeFeB it's dangerous or not. It's ok to share research that you think says this, but unless you really really know something then don't state it as a fact. In this case, do you really think that your understanding of toxicity is adequate to make this claim? Because now, everything you say is suspect to me. I've seen people say things off hand and then have it repeated for years like dogma. Please be more careful with the claims you make.
  • I didn't say it was safe. I said it won't kill you. Big difference. Anyone with eyes would read everything that I said and come to the conclusion that having a neodymium magnet degrade inside of you isn't the best idea but it won't kill you.

  • edited July 2018

    Hate on me all you want but my point is still correct, that having a neodymium magnet degrade inside of you isn't a good idea but that it is by no means the riskiest thing in the world. I get that I should have worded it better so that it was more informative instead of "hahaha let magnets degrade inside of you" but regardless, my point still stands.

    I linked an article that further expressed my point. I never said neodymium was safe, but that it isn't the end of the world if you get some in you, and that is correct.

    I am sorry for wording it so haphazardly, that was not my intention, I just thought that it was pretty much agreed upon that while neodymium isn't fun to have in your system, it won't kill you, so there's no reason to freak out if it corrodes a bit. I also said that you should be cautious and remove it if you notice a loss of sensitivity. After McSTUFF called me out (rightfully) I elaborated what I meant and it is very obvious what I meant, and "let the magnets degrade inside of you because neodymium is completely safe" was not the point that I made.

    With that said, I still do apologize because I see very well how my first comment was risky for someone who is new to this and perhaps didn't read anything else that I said. As I said before, that was not my intention, and I hope that whoever does read that also reads the rest of my comments that further elaborate my point.

    In the future, I will make sure to elaborate on stuff like that and word it in a safer manner, and make sure that my elaborations and points are within one comment to reduce the likelihood of someone taking something out of context.

  • edited July 2018

    Okay, I'm closing this, as the discussion has gone off the rails.

    Neodymium is toxic in the human body, and that's not up for debate.

    There are more dangerous things, too, like jumping off a building, and that's not up for debate.

    Everyone, remember that this stuff can be risky, and be sure you research what you put in your body and are prepared to take it out again if things go wrong.

    Thank you, @trroyyc, for being more mindful about future claims.

This discussion has been closed.