Getting into DIY grinding

So i've come up with this idea: LEDs shining on the fingernails with RGB preferably controllable over the phone. A bonus would be recognizing finger gestures to for example activate an rgb wave when sowing someone the finger.
Thing is that i don't really have any experience with grinding. So it would be nice if you could say how realistic the idea in general and my approachers are.

Idea 1:
A bluetooth controllable board in the arm that also houses the LEDs it gets charged by induction and has the LEDs on it. from the board i would route optic fibre to under the fingernails.
then maybe i could even paint the optic fibre with inductive paint to build a stretch sensor and recognize gestures.
problems i think exist:
-routing the Optic fibre might be difficult.
-the arm circuity would be thick
-getting past the bone in the fingers

Variations:
routing the Optic fibre to the start of the top of the fingernail instead(problem: i was told that that wouldn't heal)
routing cable instead of optic fibre.

Idea 2:
putting RGB LEDs with coils attached inserted under the fingernails from the tips.
the coils get inducted over a board hidden in the sleeve.
maybe RGB is imposable here in that case
problems i think exist:
-Shitloads of coils
-still problems with bone
-post OP inability to use my fingertips

Comments

• Hi and welcome to the board.

First things first, for your first idea, the proposed stuff is not even that unrealistic (and i sort of have to keep up a reputation to destroy unrealistic ideas here).

So let's give it a quick rundown.

RGB Led and a microcontroller, easy.
    Inductive charging, moderately difficult but proven to work.
    Same for the battery, not the easiest to start with topic but doable.
    Gestures, well... you can get 9 dof motion sensor in a tiny energy efficient package , wires straight to the microcontroller, no pitfalls. many even come with tapping/double-tapping detection. So it's mostly a software thing but chances are you can find a ready to use library for the most common problems.
    Bluetooth, meh yeah you can do it, there are easy to use chips for that but they are not exactly super small and they do take a hit on the battery (needs high peak power)

You already wrote down some of the more difficult things. Routing the fiber optic (especially in a way it won't get pulled back). So you need sort of an anchor mechanism at, or near the very tip. you also need to have enough spare-fiber ready to allow for all the motion the finger and wrist has.

last and most important point: fingernails.. ouch.

• edited March 2018

@ThomasEgi said:

last and most important point: fingernails.. ouch.

wait a second. do you imply that i need to remove my fingernails to route the fibre?

• @Bioqueer the non-biteable part of fingernails are one with the flesh underneath any sort of thing that's under the better part of a fingernail would be very painful.