Pellucid 1 - New Magnet Implant for sale

Comments

• @cassox I'm totally in if you're still sending.
  • I'm terrible at keeping you guys updated. I've seen messages. It's been insane at the hospital since the new years. So the new resin is great. Very strong. I've had it Implanted in a number of people for nearly a year without any problems. But it's a two part. The work is long and tedious. I threw out and entire batch the other day because I wasn't happy with the results.. but it really is very very close. I'll update tomorrow.
  • Hey @Cassox , just wanted to ask to see how things are going! Sorry to hear its so tedious, but Im glad you've been really putting in the effort to make them as good as possible

• If you would like some support testing the magnets I would be happy to. If you'd be willing to, i'd like to do some extensive testing on the resin under moderate to extreme conditions for varying lengths of time to find when weaknesses like degradation and permeability branch into potential physical risk.

That kind of testing doesn't require magnets, although I would be willing to test the next available round of magnets on myself, using care to implant the magnet as efficiently as possible. Are you maintaining the cost of the magnets or have they lowered? I'm in between jobs and it may be a while until I can afford to pay to test the magnet

• I'm totally ok with sending out samples for testing. I'm making up a new batch of testing wafers this next week anyhow. So this is where I'm at btw.. I've identified two different two part resins I feel to be safe enough. However, application is difficult. UV cure resins can be used quickly to create beautiful smooth thin coatings.. but I haven't found one yet that is adequately non permiable.
    Part of the problem is funding of course. It's takes very little resin to do something like coat a magnet, but you have to use set ratios for the two part which can be wasteful. It's tax season for me thankfully and I have 3 new resins waiting to test out. Updates are coming.
  • If it's not too much trouble would you mind explaining the problems with the resin application process for those two part resins you've found to be adequate? I would want to see if I can think of anything.
  • Totally, although I've primarily solved the issues now. I've identified two coatings I'm really happy with. I've tested around 4 others as well. These are 10993 certed with great mechanical characteristics, and they're easy to apply. So if every thing works out with the tests we're back to a two week timeframe.

Anyhow, the problem with two part resins is difficulty in application. A mold system works well for larger units, but for magnets we really want as thin a coating as possible. Two part resins don't lend themselves to this application.
  • When you have a successful batch ready for purchase, I would like to be added to the wait list

• What were you using instead of a mold application? I'm guessing it's not as simple as doing one mold, waiting for it to dry, and then doing the other mold?
  • @Sheepie said:
    What were you using instead of a mold application? I'm guessing it's not as simple as doing one mold, waiting for it to dry, and then doing the other mold?

Unfortunately, no. Adhesion is a big factor in the difficulty in doing two part layers of resin which means optimal adhesion is only possible when both resins are malleable. The other concern is thickness, which is likely what Cassox is referring to when he states "Two part resins don't lend themselves to this application"

• How are these new prototypes expected to compare to the diamond coated magnets?

• I can't wait for the testing phase to come to a successful conclusion. I've been waiting for a good set of implants to be available for years, (as well as for me to be old enough to get one where I live) and I'm very excited to get one once these go live. Part of me wants to help with testing but I don't have any personal experience with implants, so I'm not sure how useful my testing would be pertaining to the durability of the coating. A rejection would probably be the result of me nicking the coating during the implant or something of the sort. Sorry for the personal ramble I'm just really excited to finally be able to comment on this thread since I've been following it for a while, good luck on the magnets.

• So far, better. I think they're ready. I have 10 ready to ship. Waiting for the immersion tests to finish. Fingers crossed.
  • Is there a sign up list to beta test the newest resin coated magnets? I'm very interested in what you've told us about them so far.

• At this time, I'm finishing the initial orders and finalizing all the tests. I'm going to also trial a few other materials. After I have all this info together I'm going to do a write up and just release it to the community so anyone can coat their own. The point of having people buy the beta units was to fund the samples. Once I'm 100% sure this stuff is going to be good, I'll totally just tell you how to make it.

Also, please please update regarding the initial batch. I pulled one out of a friend at Bdyhax. He works with his hands a lot and it couldn't stand up to the abuse. If the first one didn't work out for you, I have zero issues sending you another although I'd ask for you to pay shipping. Or if you're coming out to Grindfest I'll implant the next one without charge.

BUT, give me a week. The soak test is nearly done. All the material data says it should be good.

• Excellent news! Whenever one reaches this way I'll chime in with implant details, healing, and abuse it's expected to put up with.

• As I said, when I'm ready I'm going to be just going all the data to the community. I think a safe biocoating coating for prototyping will allow us to do so much more..

That said, if people do want to invest in a new coating.. I'm going to bite the bullet and make a batch coated in gold, then rhodium. This is the process I'm hoping to use to make a product. Any interest?
  • @Cassox said:
    As I said, when I'm ready I'm going to be just going all the data to the community. I think a safe biocoating coating for prototyping will allow us to do so much more..

That said, if people do want to invest in a new coating.. I'm going to bite the bullet and make a batch coated in gold, then rhodium. This is the process I'm hoping to use to make a product. Any interest?

I trust you coating magnets a lot more than myself trying to follow a procedure you're developing, the potential of gold and rhodium seems worth the investment, I'm interested.

• @Crucible said:
    I trust you coating magnets a lot more than myself trying to follow a procedure you're developing, the potential of gold and rhodium seems worth the investment, I'm interested.

Definitely!

• Ok. It's all still looking good. Fingers crossed eh? I'm hoping to ship on Wednesday.
  • In terms of the gold/rhodium, I'm still working on some sourcing stuff.
  • Ok sorry everything took so long. The first Implant is happening today to test for any acute reactions. I'm going to package everything up and try to ship tomorrow.
  • Good news, Cassox! You are going to send magnets to people from your list, I understand correctly?

• hehe, Loving these results, IIRC wasn't gold-rhodium a really good idea? Interested. :3

The only downside on my own end is that I find myself using my handsa lot. Is the resin not lending itself to being high durability, or is that just because of the difficulty of casting?

And just to throw out ideas, if it's a thin coating, is there any system that can atomise the mixed resin and apply it via a spray gun of some kind? I have no idea if density of propellant has anything to do with spray pattern in denser fluids, but if it was possible to somehow atomise the resin into a sprayable layer, that could make for thin applications?

Keep forgetting we don't have magnetic suspension completely under thumb yet though... x3x

• Yep. I am. This resin is pretty amazing actually. Very strong. Definitely the most durable I've come across. It's funny you mention spraying as I'm working on that already. This stuff is really thin relative to most resins. I'm going to use nitrogen as a propellant. I have a friend who has a totally different approach but if it works he'll get the particle size down to like rediculously small. It would be better then my approach but we'll see.
    Ok, so after extensive immersion testing I cannot detect any change in weight at all. It's absorbing some I'm sure.. but it's smaller then I am capable of measuring. This is a good thing. After a week of immersion, the shore d was unchanged. I have one in a person and as of yet.. no acute reactions. It's 10993 etc.. I'll get into that more in the write up as that's not a very specific claim.
    Right now, I'm just getting all the shipping addresses organized. If anyone needs to change addresses let me know ok.
  • Hey. So everything was shipped monday. The test implants healed fantastically. One change though is the method of shipping. I switched boxes and the cost was dramatically lower for those in the us. I charged people for priority but shipped it at a lower cost. I'm not trying to rip you off. Promise. I ended up spending considerably more making these then I originally thought.. but it feels dishonest to change what I quoted. I have done cool new projects coming up so I can give you a credit towards future stuff or if you really care.. I can give you back money. It was something like 20 bucks. Let me know.
  • Hey. So everything was shipped monday. The test implants healed fantastically. One change though is the method of shipping. I switched boxes and the cost was dramatically lower for those in the us. I charged people for priority but shipped it at a lower cost. I'm not trying to rip you off. Promise. I ended up spending considerably more making these then I originally thought.. but it feels dishonest to change what I quoted. I have done cool new projects coming up so I can give you a credit towards future stuff or if you really care.. I can give you back money. It was something like 20 bucks. Let me know.
  • I received mine, yesterday. Just keep the $20 from me.
    Also, I'm still working on finding an implanter. I'll make some calls to some local piercing shops, but I doubt they'll be super keen on implanting something I bring in, myself. But, I'll try.
    There's an implanter up in Canada that's not too far from me, but it's not easy for me to cross borders.
    Anyways, the magnet looks great and I'm excited!
  • Yeah. I think they really turned out well. What I'm going to do next ( after GF) is do a write up about testing the materials.
  • I'm interested in purchasing one if theyre still available!

I've had two m31's (wrist and ring finger) implanted for over 2 years now with no problems. Id love to put in another!