Glass for magnets?

Has anyone tried this? Encapsulating Neo magnets in borosilicate?

I imagine that it's not impossible, but would be a little work heavy. Would have to be done individually. Could lead to extremely smooth coating. Without air, could be very strong too. I feel too that glass isn't going to be hot enough to kill the magnet.

Cons could be size. Could be big. Any air could cause serious weakness.

I have a couple crack pipes at home and a torch. I'm probably going to do something stupid this weekend. Or maybe wait till the summer so it's easier to work outside...

Thoughts?

Comments

• I've wondered about this idea before but never tried it. The heat needed might/probably will kill or weaken the magnet and it might be tough to get it sealed good enough but I'm interested to hear your results if you try it even without actually implanting it. Don't forget safety glasses at least just in case something bad happens with the magnet or the hot glass.

The thickness of the glass might be a problem since even the silicone coated Haworth magnets supposedly are not as sensitive as ones with a thinner coating.

https://forum.biohack.me/index.php?p=/discussion/1150/empty-glass-capsules

This is an old thread but you might send AlexSmith a message and see if he is still willing to sell some empty glass capsules. His site says no longer available but wouldn't hurt to ask.

• @Birdhandz yeah good call on the thickness.
    I was thinking it would be hard without lots of glass work experience to try to coat anything without ending up with a thick blob.

I have a slightly weird way i think i'm going to try this: i've seen in the past, glass blowerd for bongs/pipes working in Borosolicate, that actually blow at a store. For interest an sales. I may look one up, and ask them to maybe help me dab drops on a number or items.

i'll definately update, but this won't be a "next week" kind of thing. was just tossing the idea around.

Poor Alex is probably busy af. TBH i have asked him about some material before, and interest in that light project he did a bit ago, but i've never gotten any kind of response. Not even a fuck off, so i assume he's just super involved.

I really do want some glass capsules of varying sizes; actually have been speaking to a Schottel glass rep about some samples, but it's going to take a bit to work that out.
    Finding them on the internet has been nuts for me. I just can't.find.glass.. like rfid encapsulation.. like if you're doing official projects where the hell do you get them? I can't even find the process that maybe they use in machines to encapsulate the current gen RFID chips. I've spent hours, but maybe i'm wording it wrong?
    I even ended up talking to a company in china through alibaba, who's sending me implant chips for testing, but unable to provide just the glass. between language barrier and maybe self protection, they aren't able to provide me any info either!

Cheers!

• Applying hot glue to a nickel-coated magnet can cause the coating to flake off. Adding molten glass probably won't do any better but I would like to see the effect.

• Iiiiiii spoke to a glass maker person. Said the heat would kill the magnet. Neo's currie is actually pretty low, like 310-350 C or something, with Boro metlting at 810C.

If the magnet were maybe coated, THEN run through the induction coil, maybe. but as much as i'd love an induction coil/forge/magnetizer at home, no way could i afford or risk it.

Only other option i can think of would be dangerous af i think; cool the magnet, coat as thinly as possible with some sort of PTFE or something, quickly apply the glass, and instead of annealing, drop it in water. Without a tail, would have strength, but a scratch or a weakness would have the glass shatter like a prince rupert drop.

I think, for us/me, this is dead in the water. Might give it a shot in the summer still, just not with expectations :/

• amaama
    edited February 2018
    what about magnetizing them after they have been put into the glass? i wouldnt imagine the clave would demavnetize it alone.
  • autoclaving will absolutely demagnetize magnets
  • Oh yea. you are right... so wouldn't be an option then.

"When heated above 176° Fahrenheit (80° Celsius), magnets will quickly lose their magnetic properties"

• I have a full glass studio at my home, and I have been playing around with glass capsules for a while now. I have quite a bit of practice making implant sized capsules now, so if you ever want to play around with it, let me know. I think you could be onto something with magnetizing it afterward, but the material itself would have to withstand about 1070°F to anneal the glass.
    Making an induction coil couldn't possibly be that hard. Anyone know where to find a schematic?
  • building a coil and pumping current through it isn't that difficult, but doing it on a scale big enough to magnetize neodymium magnets does require resources and knowledge.

I want to point out that the shape of a magnet has very big influence on it's thermal stability.
    A cylindrical magnet with 1mm diameter and 2mm length can withstand way higher temperatures than a 2mm diameter magnet which is 1mm long.
    Mathematically a 1.6mm diameter, 2.5mm long N52 magnet should be ablet so survive 140°C without taking damage. the M31 shape (3mm diameter, 1mm long) would start to take damage at ~75C°

I can highly recommend to carefully read through the lengthy explanation on https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=temperature-and-neodymium-magnets