Become more oxygen effective!

How can I go about making a mask to slowly lower the amount of oxygen I use a day till I am getting half as much as most humans, if a human can adapt to this, how long would it take me. I'm hoping to increase my sports performance and only take this off at important races!

Comments

• This is just brainstorming, right?

High-altitude air has less oxygen per liter than sea-level, and I assume that's the effect you are going for. Low-pressure air may have different properties than oxygen-depleted air so be conscious of that.

Oxygen separation is energy-intensive work so filtering it out might be the wrong approach. What if breathable air was diluted with inert gasses? It would be necessary to bring a lot with, depending on the exercise routine. A tank could be carried in a baby carrier meant for running. That's probably a lot larger than desired.

Oxymeters that measure the oxygen in blood are cheap and it would be important to monitor those levels to start anything new. If anything goes over the mouth, it would need to be fail-safe, so if someone passes out, it would fall away on its own.

Don't rush off and do any of this. Cutting your brain off from oxygen will cause unconsciousness in seconds. Falling unconscious while running would be all kinds of bad news. If someone has more warnings about this, please speak up.

• If you just want a mask that does that, there are several different ones commercially available designed to simulate high-altitude training. It takes approximately a month to acclimate to higher altitudes. But for the first two weeks you aren't supposed to do any strenuous exercise at all. They had a couple cadets die at the air force academy in colorado because they didn't follow that. After two weeks you can start light jogging, because you'll start acclimating.

• Oh okay thanks that makes it alot easyier
  • @countseven, that's awesome! I had to go and make things complicated.

• I can confirm that from personal experience. If you can afford it, i'd recommend to take some time off and hike around the mountains for a bit (if there are any mountains nearby).

• You will never be able to survive getting half of the oxygen level of standard atmospheric conditions. Air is 21% oxygen. 16% oxygen is the minimum level required for aveolar gas exchange, anything less than that and you will suffocate. I know of no way around that, unless additional gas exchange outside of your lungs could be achieved.
  • An oxygen deprivation mask doesn't necessarily make you more oxygen efficient at all. To my knowledge they are used to strengthen your diaphragm, the muscle that controls expansion and contraction of your lungs. But in the end you will still require the same partial pressure of oxygen as everyone else to support cellular function.