What do you all do

Outside of this, what do you do? I'm a university student. Just trying to get a sense of the community I guess?

Comments

• edited November 2017

I'm in 8th grade but I know more than most 8th graders, lol.

• edited November 2017

@Hunter Bro I waited 3 days for you to change it but sadly you didn't and consequently you look like a retard it's KNOW not KNIW and MORE not MIRE. Not only can you not spell you are in fucking 8th grade and trust me while you may know more than the average if you are still in 8th grade you are nowhere near knowledgeable enough to be experimenting with mammalian cell culture, or trying the things suggested on this forum

• edited November 2017

Wiped

• Also I fixed it. Hope you're happy.

• @Zwytechhacker No need to be so harsh- not all of us notice our typos right away (as 'i' and 'o' are next to each other in qwerty, it's likely typos) or come back and re-read our own posts to check for them later on.

And definitely not all of us have any interest in experimenting with mammalian cell cultures- some of us just want to hack on things (including ourselves) and fuck around with magnets.

As for me, I'm a computer programmer. I used to work as a bioinformatics analyst, helping sequence plant genes, and I am completely over hacking with biology on a low level.

• @Hunter escalating doesn't help, and just because @Zwytechhacker was being kinda a jerk doesn't mean you actually do know more than him. No one can quantify exactly how much anyone else knows, so don't make such arguments.

• edited November 2017

Children! .3.

I am a humble young adult. /.o./ Calm down. x3x

Certified Chainsaw Technician and Instructor. Live and breathe chainsaws. and a few other fun little tools. .3.

@tekniklr said:
    No one can quantify exactly how much anyone else knows, so don't make such arguments.

^ /.3./

• edited November 2017

Yo

• edited November 2017

:l

• I have so many regrets. @Zerbula Your job sounds reeeeally cool. @tekniklr Nice! I've been looking into getting into computer programming (I guess more than I already know). I only have experience with/can only use Ruby, what's a good jumping off point from there do you think?

Also yeah I see no reason to be fighting I really meant for this to be a happy thing and not this.

• @aidoneus I have a lot of pride in it, and It's a lot of fun! :D

But it is a huge amount of responsibility and stress. Any mistakes on my fault can get people injured or killed. >< I feel like I have the capacity to do it, and much more properly and thoroughly than many of my peers or competitors.

I am very happy doing it, and even though the money isn't great, this company takes really good care of me and It's still a job I honestly enjoy, for being a job. I'm honored and proud to be the person who can breathe life back into these machines, and I can be the one to properly instruct new upcoming operators on how to use these machines. ^^

• @Zwytechhacker said:
    Better?

Yes. Thank you.

• @aidoneus said:
    @tekniklr Nice! I've been looking into getting into computer programming (I guess more than I already know). I only have experience with/can only use Ruby, what's a good jumping off point from there do you think?

I've programmed in a ton of stuff, and professionally in Java, perl, PHP, and (most recently) ruby. Ruby is actually a really good language to use, but different languages each have their different strengths and weaknesses. What sort of stuff do you want to make? It might be best to find a project and then find a language that would work well for that project. Ruby and rails are good for web, python is good for system administration, different languages are good for embedded applications, etc.

Also, once you learn enough different programming languages, it's very easy to recognize the type of language a new one is (functional vs object oriented vs interpreted vs etc etc) and after that you can get pretty far just using what you already know, with small syntax tweaks. As you need to know more, you'll learn it.

• I am an Electrical Technician. I work mainly in the coffee industry, building and troubleshooting the automated systems that control processing and roasting equipment.
  • Wiped as we ar having a civil discussion in dms.

• @Zerbula said:
    :l

Can we please get this exchange wiped? This isn't becoming of anyone, and not enjoying the presence of such a squabble. if you REALLY need to continue it, take it into private messages, please.

I do not like seeing this in our forum.

Thank you, your turn @Hunter

My turn?

• I'm also university student- EE undergrad, looking for things to stick my neophyte fingers into

• @suncat Cool! Most of my EE friends are reeeal squeamish about anything surgical. (I'm molecular bio) I have I think one who is always interested and likes to watch me implant things, but doesn't have any himself.

• 3rd year college student in a CS major working a help desk job at a small hospital

• I'm an aircraft mechanic. I've actually used my magnets for troubleshooting problems with aircraft and equipment way more than I thought I would.
  • I make fancy food for rich people. I also make viral vectors for other people. Working on making aggressively growing trees and bioplastics in my spare time

• @glims said:
    I make fancy food for rich people. I also make viral vectors for other people. Working on making aggressively growing trees and bioplastics in my spare time

Ooh please tell some more about your viral vectors. Have been wondering how and where thats done.

• I'm a researcher in a biopolymers lab while I finish my biomedical engineering and chemistry studies

• Mechanical engineer working towards my PhD in biomedical engineering.
  • @beano that is awesome, I am waiting on a sensing magnet, I can't wait to get it implanted. I'm curious, how have they helped you with troubleshooting, and how many/what type do you have? That is exactly what I am hoping to use mine for, so I'm really interested!
  • @glims aggressively growing trees sounds like an awesome project! I would love to hear more about that!
    It reminds me greatly of an idea I had to make home defense trees using Black Locus trees as the base. They are the meanest trees I know of. When they are small, they have large thorns covering the trunks but they break off as the tree grows. If someone could manipulate their genes so that the thorns grew at the same rate as the tree, they could produce some giant spikes.
  • @Pyro4571 I have a haworth thats about 10 months old, and I just put in one of Cassox's Pellucid magnets a week ago. They have helped me see if certain circuits are receiving power and I can always tell if electromechanical motors and actuators are functioning properly. Obvously there are better ways to check these things, but the amount of times I have been able to perform a quick check with my hand has surprised me. I also do a lot of rigging of different sensors, and many of them are activated by ferrous metal or magnets. I can stick my hand in front of them to see if they are functioning properly and in need of a rig.
  • Hello from Austria :)
    I work at the delicatesse department selling meat, sausages, cheese and bread.

• @Sandra that sounds super good right now. I want some Austrian deli food. ;_;