Survey for People with Magnet Implants

edited February 2015 in Community
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N5K2MPR

Please take the time to fill this out if you have a magnet implant. It will give us an idea on how to further modify devices such as the Bottlenose that interact with magnets. Thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• Will you make the results public?
    It'd be some interesting data - I'd say the area needs as much good research done as possible, to make it all as legit as possible...

Also, you have only one place for implanting dates, there are some people who have multiple ones, not always implanted at the same time - should they fill the survey once per each implant?

I would also ask about what coating was used and if there were any complications as it might affect a bit how the magnet works (self-made hot glue stuff might work differently to sugru which supposedly can start getting micropores and leaking, to factory-made pyralene coating on those stirring magnets - the way materials bond to tissue and how even is the coating may affect it all too)...

And if there were any additional complications (in the healing period after implanting and later), damage, if there were any injuries caused by the magnet interacting with things, how often approximately some pain is caused (1/day, 1/few days, 1/week, 1/month, rarer, never - for example), how often, or how many times more major injury was caused (bruising, subdermal hemorrhaging, other - possibly with field to describe it all) etc.

It might not be all 100% useful for your project, but prospectively it could give a good idea for future, and could gather the data that's now scattered around the forum, blogs etc. with people's experiences into a sort of clean data.

It's just a bunch of suggestions which come to me from medical look at the field and how we usually ask about various side effects and such in surveys. It's your survey though, so of course you're free to do with it anything you like ;P

Hmmm... Or looking at all points I mentioned perhaps I should make different survey with more medical related questions to research it. I bet it'd be useful knowledge both for those who want to get another implants and for completely new people...
  • I'm not sure that microwave question is going to be helpful for you. Different microwaves have different effects on my magnet.
  • edited September 2012
    Hey Guys/Gals,

My name is Ian Harrison, and am a current PhD student from the University of Reading, UK, and I also have a survey. The purpose really is to gain a social view on these implants, I'm really looking forward to seeing magnet vision take to the mainstream. 

Lukas, I have just completed your survey and it seems we've asked a few of the same questions, is there any chance of obtaining your results so far? Obviously you will be acknowledged as having helped with my research.

I have also been looking into quite a number of applications for this implant, so feel free to approach me whenever, I'd be more than happy to spend hours chatting about new applications :)

All the best

Ian

• Ian Harrison?  As in, Kevin Warwick's student?  If so, you've been quite the inspiration.  For example, one of our devices at Grindhouse Wetwares (the Bottlenose) was inspired by Jawish's and your paper on the subject of creating a human-machine interface with the implants.

I've actually been thinking about doing a bit of research at my university on the subject of investigating how the magnets interact with the tactile sense; in particular, what variables have an effect on sensitivity.

~Ian
  • edited September 2012
    I am indeed that fellow, aww cant deny I'm blushing right now after reading this your post :) thanks buddy :) 

Thats what my entire thesis is currently based around and all of the fun testing that goes behind it :) how you getting on with it? which university are you studying at??

btw saw the bottlenose video quite recently on the old youtube, fantastic work guys seriously :) Its great to see this 'underground' type of community produce hardware like it :)

Best

I
  • IanIan
    edited September 2012
    @Linksblackmask

I'm studying at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities.  Right now, my idea is still in the "figure out what exactly to put in my proposal" stage, but I'm hoping to get it submitted by about a month from now.  What I'm thinking of specifically testing right now is the sensitivity vs. magnet size, both in general and to specific frequencies, as well as the sensitivity of disk magnets vs. longer cylindrical magnets.

If my hypothesis is correct and different-sized magnets have their maximum sensitivity at different frequencies (that there exists a maximum is suggested by the data in Hameed, et. al. 2010), then there might be an advantage to having a different-sized magnet in each fingertip.  After all, the cone cells work similarly; each of the three different cone cells in your eyes has a maximum sensitivity at a different frequency of light, though the tails of each curve overlap.  Imagine being able to sense magnetic fields in "colour" ;-)

I knew that Professor Warwick had found out about Grindhouse, but I didn't know that you knew about it as well.  Thanks for the compliments; now I'm the one who's blushing.
  • Lol, great minds must think alike, I am thinking of having a 6mm put in my ring finger, to test the sensitivity. However, I believe your hypothesis needs refinement, by increasing magnet size you increase the area of effect, and probably the harmonic effect on the area.

I believe simply altering the size of the magnet will not affect its Max sensitivity range (with respect to frequency), more it will increase perceptual response, i.e. how strong it feels (due to you simply stimulating more receptors), and you will probably find it may alter the maximum perceptual range due to increased harmonics... (but please don't take my word as gospel, it hasn't been tried and stranger things have happened).
  • (survey filled. I'd like to see the results!)
  • @Linksblackmask:  So you think the change in magnet size will affect the maximum sensitivity itself, because of the change in surface area, but not the range of frequencies it's good at?
  • Will the results be published?
  • Sorry for the epically late reply, been rather bogged down with work recently; please do correct me if I'm mistake here but yeah, the only reason for it to affect the freq. range would be the Harmonic effects, the receptors themselves should not have altered in their response... So yeah increasing the size my stimulate more receptors ultimately cause a greater perceived sensation :)

The statical version of the results will ultimately end up in my PhD thesis, as well as extracted text from the text response boxes, however yes one I'm finished collating the results I shall hopefully be able to release the result to biohack.me :)
  • @linksblackmask

Will your data be public? I am very interested in seeing it. I'm not getting my implant for another week or so unfortunately, I wanted to get it months ago but if it's not one thing it's another, you know?
  • @Linksblackmask:  It's interesting that you mention that, because the reason I thought that we could affect the frequency range was because one of my first approximations of the magnet for modeling purposes was to treat it as a harmonic oscillator.